Heatsink compound/thermo grease

alucke

The thermal paste is the middle-man. Thermal paste simply allows for heat transfer. It also dries out after long-term usage which affects proper heat transfer and causes temperatures to increase. Cleaning it off with isopropyl rubbing alcohol and tissue paper or q-tips and reapplying new paste will resolve this. "Wear and tear".

Sure, the thermal paste is the middle man, but the thermal resistance of that paste does play a role in how the heat transfer occurs, and how the temperatures end up. A lower thermal resistance means more heat transfer which means lower temperatures. Arctic Silver 5 is among the best thermal pastes out there, but the fact that it's metalic based raises some eyebrows. I've never had any troubles with it personally, but I've heard of others who have run into problems with it's capacitive properties.

spilling it on the mobo or some other component...

I'd say you'd have to use the worst paste or have a 5 year old child apply the paste to get it on anything other than the CPU.

This is from the AS5 website:

During the CPU's initial use, the compound thins out to enhance the filling of the microscopic valleys and ensure the best physical contact between the heatsink and the CPU core. Then the compound thickens slightly over the next 50 to 200 hours of use to its final consistency designed for long-term stability.

It is not runny. I personally apply the equivalent of a seed of rice of AS5 and spread it over the entire surface of the CPU. Once a heatsink is placed firmly over it, there's no chance in hell that it would "run" onto the motherboard.

Edited by Jeremy

AS5 could lower temps by a few degrees but not something like 15oC or so :P.

QUOTE(ripken204 @ Feb 6 2007, 02:08 AM)

I'd say you'd have to use the worst paste or have a 5 year old child apply the paste to get it on anything other than the CPU.

This is from the AS5 website:

Well, sometimes you will get some of it on your fingers when you remove the cpu for cleaning it. before you know it there will be fingerprints all over the place. I have seen it before ;) (not me :P, pointing to some one else...)...

I remember the S462 CPUs, with the resistors on top of them, nice special effects when you put the past not only on the core :D.

Just buy the AS5 remover too when you use it.

I stopped using it: 1. They don´t sell it here and 2. Thermalpaste of other brands have become better these days ;).

ya jeremy, i never said about it spilling over the cpu.
Then...

by "other component" I'm going to assume you weren't potentially referring to the CPU. :P

Edited by Jeremy

well SPCR is mainly for "silent" heatsinks, which in my case means better.

and yes jeremy, some people spill there thermal paste on other components, something as simple as the mobo. have you ever applied as5? it kind of seems like a mozerella stick to me, the cheese just keeps stretching so you have to pull it apart... the same happens with as5.

well SPCR is mainly for "silent" heatsinks, which in my case means better.

Yes, I'm aware of that. They also focus on the design, the pros and the cons in an unbiased manner, the before and after temperatures, the mounting system of the heatsink, any incompatibilities with other motherboards, how close it comes to other components depending on the mobo, the truth behind the marketing of the product, etc.

and yes jeremy, some people spill there thermal paste on other components, something as simple as the mobo. have you ever applied as5? it kind of seems like a mozerella stick to me, the cheese just keeps stretching so you have to pull it apart... the same happens with as5.

On numerous occasions on CPUs, GPUs and chipsets. I'm also very careful with it. I push very slowly on it so it comes out a quarter of a millimeter at a time, once it reaches the length of your average grain of rice, I stop, press that against the copper surface, pull it back so it doesn't continue to slip its way out after being applied, put the cover back on and in my desk drawer it goes. I take a small piece of plastic wrap, put it on/around my finger and smooth/smear it over the entire (yes even the edges) surface. Then on goes the heatsink.

If you're not careful, then I suppose it would resemble the mozerella stick you compare it to.