Installation of Internet Explorer 7

geigs

Since Microsoft is so delayed in the release of SP3 for XP, I went searching for a substitute and came across Super-Magician's SP3 Security Pack, then got thinking if there was a way to slipstream all the hotfixes into a XP install disc, and from there linked to TommyP's HFSLIP.

Now getting to the point, after reading all about TommyP's HFSLIP and how to do it, I tried Slipstreaming about 4 times to get everything right the way I wanted it, and it is except the installation of IE 7 at the first GUI logon.

Why? well because looking at the IE 7 log, the WGA Check Failed and the install of IE 7 was aborted because I chose not to activate Windows before the first GUI logon of Windows.

So I think it would be great to note this on the "Important things to know" page, that if you want IE 7 to install at the first logon you have to choose to activate Windows before you logon so that IE 7 will see that your Windows is genuine.

Correct me if I'm wrong or if there's a way around this, and why can't IE 7 be slipstreamed like WMP11 in XP Pro since WMP11 requires a check to see if Windows is genuine also.

Thanks to TommyP for your Hotfix Slipstreamer and Super-Magician for your SP3 Security Pack for those that dont want to slipstream.

Well, I see you've found the MSFN forums as well. Welcome! And thanks for using my pack. :P

Anyway, I would like to say that what you are mentioning already exists on the HFSLIP website. In fact, it's stated on that very page to which you referred.

Important things to know

The handling of Internet Explorer 7 has changed a few times lately. The current version of HFSLIP has it installed at first GUI logon, or when the Welcome screen first appears. Internet Explorer 7 requires the operating system to be able to identify itself as "legitimate", which, for mainstream versions of Windows, is only possible after the first logon. The downside is that you have to reboot manually afterwards because Internet Explorer requires a reboot after it has been installed. The installation of Internet Explorer 7 also delays the installation of items such as the Windows Desktop, the Address book, and Themes until after the reboot, so you'll notice a plain and simple user interface at first.

For editions of Windows that do not require activation, it is possible to have Internet Explorer 7 installed at T-13; no additional reboot is required in this case. To tell HFSLIP that you'd prefer Internet Explorer 7 to be installed at T-13, specify IE7SVCPACK=1 in HFANSWER.INI, the answer file that is to be placed in HFTOOLS.

I hope this helps a bit. HFSLIP cannot slipstream IE7 because of many problems that exist within the package itself. As of this point, we have not been able to find a way around these issues. Tomcat76 will be doing more testing, however, in the weeks/months to come. Even with IE7 installed at GUIRunOnce or T-13, there are still issues.

Known issues: Quick Launch only contains a shortcut to IE7, thumbnail view in folders is broken and graphics are missing in the User Accounts dialog.

I can't think of a way around having to activate before installing IE7. Someone else might be able to shed some light on this.

Again, welcome to MSFN and thanks for using HFSLIP! I'm interested in how you used my pack in conjunction with this because it isn't designed to be supported by slipstreaming programs.

Thanks for the welcome Super-Magician,

I never ended up using your SP3 Security Pack, because I wanted to slipstream the hotfixes instead, which is why I used HFSLIP. I saw a link to TommyP's site from your forum on s.p.a.m site, sorry if it sounded like I used your pack.

I know all about the "Important things to know" page on the HFSLIP site, I just think it should also mention that if you choose not to activate Windows before the first logon of a new Windows install, IE 7 will not install.

• 1 month later...
I'm just waiting for anyone to report any new, obscure bugs that I haven't come across during my testing.

I've got one for ya. :)

when slipstreaming IE7 with hfslip-70226a, and run WU I still have to install 2 updates (KB905474 and KB928090) when using the same source and using IE7SVCPACK=1 WU doesn't complain.

WinXP Pro NL

HFSLIP.LOG.TXT

post-16582-1172572704_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glowy

I'm just waiting for anyone to report any new, obscure bugs that I haven't come across during my testing.

I've got one for ya. :)

when slipstreaming IE7 with hfslip-70226a, and run WU I still have to install 2 updates (KB905474 and KB928090) when using the same source and using IE7SVCPACK=1 WU doesn't complain.

WinXP Pro NL

KB905474 maybe doesn't install well because your system is in NL language and you have slipstreamed for English language or you haven't downloaded the latest one that is released some days ago.

KB905474 maybe doesn't install well because your system is in NL language and you have slipstreamed for English language or you haven't downloaded the latest one that is released some days ago.

KB905474 isn't available in Dutch, as far as I know it's only available in english

and

when using the same source and using IE7SVCPACK=1 WU doesn't complain.

Edited by Glowy

KB905474 isn't available in Dutch, as far as I know it's only available in english

and

when using the same source and using IE7SVCPACK=1 WU doesn't complain.

Ok, but the latest file in english is called WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone.exe and not as your file. This file has updated 5-6 days ago.