Features of Download Manager

LLXX

I'm writing my own download manager (the FlashGet was pretty good, but I now I need something a little less resource-consuming and more open-source), currently I've only implemented part of the UI and most of the HTTP core, but planning to add FTP next and possibly other protocols in the future (no P2P or Torrents though, that should go in another program).

Currently decided features:

- Queue multiple files / simultaneous download up to 255 at once

- Start/Pause/Resume/Stop

- Up to 255 connections/split parts per file with overlap for redundancy/error-checking

- Bandwidth limiter

What I'm hoping to gain with this thread is a list of other features that you find useful in a download manager that you use regularly (including additional protocols to support). No UI garnishes please, I'm not intending this to be some overly graphical program but rather something minimal that stays in the tray and just silently downloads in the background.

Name suggestions are also welcome (currently it's called HTTPdown as that's what it'll support initially, but I'm planning to change the name once it supports more than HTTP).

When I feel like I've had enough with it, I'll release as open-source public domain software.

Edited by LLXX

Off the top of my head:

- Download from multiple servers, or just the fastest server

- Support for IE7, FF2, Opera9

- Ability to download everything off one page

- Obvious things like seeing size in bytes/kilobytes/megabytes

- ETA, before and during the download

- Average Download speed at the end once completed and during the download

I'm very interested to use it

What about:

Download Spy
Wise Download
Also I'd like to suggest :

add a search box with a drop down menu that contains most famous download websites like download.com or what so ever you like, and you may make this field flexible to accept add more websites.

Edited by MGadAllah

- Download from multiple servers, or just the fastest server
It already supports downloading several files at once.
Support for IE7, FF2, Opera9
I might get to that once the main program is done.
Ability to download everything off one page
See above.
Obvious things like seeing size in bytes/kilobytes/megabytes

- ETA, before and during the download

- Average Download speed at the end once completed and during the download

"Obvious"... see for yourself:

httpdownni1.png

GetBrain? Sounds more like an educational program to me...

...and GetIt is already taken by (not surprisingly) another download manager: http://www.simtel.net/product.php?url_fb_product_page=39290

Edit: take a look at this 143 bytes download manager: http://www.simtel.net/product.php[id]99158...teID]simtel.net :lol:

Edited by LLXX

It definitely will be portable, and a bit smaller than other download managers (estimated to be <100Kb).

It will read configuration settings and other data such as current downloads and categories from INI files.

Many files are hosted on free.fr.

This is a fench ISP and they have a very bad habit : when you use multiple chunks to download a file and their server are under load, there's corruption at the limit of the chunks.

It would be nice to have something that would split the download in n chunks and then download [(sizeof(file)/n)+10KB] for each of them instead of just [sizeof(file)/n].

:)

What about
One Click Download
And you can use any slogan with name related like a one contains number one followed by an arrow with a head down like this one

That icon is very appropriate, as I was thinking of putting an upload manager in it!

@Camarade_Tux:

with overlap for redundancy/error-checking
It'll even be able to download a file twice, the amount of overlap is adjustable from 0 to the size of the file.

That icon is very appropriate, as I was thinking of putting an upload manager in it!
I'm glad that you like it.

as long as you think about add an upload manager, what do you think

1 Click Away

and regarding the slogan you can do what so ever you like with it, I mean colors, arrows looking, ...etc

And you can consider changing arrow colors with every release to let looks different and much better

• 3 weeks later...