How to get FTP://

@Giwrgos,

1st thaks for ur reply

why dont u setup your own ftp server ? its easier safer and more customisable.
To make it i will need to leave my PC 24h online and this can't be done for me!

i wanna ftp for install chatroom and forum

i know that there is a free hosting forum but i wanna to learn the installation of the froums

Regards,

Xtremee

ummmm, just gonna throw something out there, but you do realise ftp stands for file transfer protocol? Not being a complete expert on the matter I'm not going to say it's impossible to run forum software or chat room software from an ftp server, but it would probably be better to use an HTTP server that has php and such installed as there is a lot of software that already exists and is freely available then. FTP is really more geared towards storing and retrieving files, not interactive content.

ummmm, just gonna throw something out there, but you do realise ftp stands for file transfer protocol? Not being a complete expert on the matter I'm not going to say it's impossible to run forum software or chat room software from an ftp server, but it would probably be better to use an HTTP server that has php and such installed as there is a lot of software that already exists and is freely available then. FTP is really more geared towards storing and retrieving files, not interactive content.

yeah, that's true. it's mostly for hosting and receiving files.

@cyprod

1st thanks for ur reply

it would probably be better to use an HTTP server that has php and such installed as there is a lot of software that already exists and is freely available then. FTP is really more geared towards storing and retrieving files, not interactive content.
You are right about that, but when i read a tutorial for installing IPB forums it require to use FTP Client to upload the forum in Binary format so i try to find out a free FTP server to learn on it.

If there is an other good way to install IPB and Chat Room using HTTP server Plz, tell me

Regards,

Xtremee

To start you'll ned an FTP to work with.

This is the FTP SERVER I currently use. Though it's shareware it gets the job done without any problems.

Sami FTP Server

As for an FTP CLIENT (to connect to an ftp) do a search on 'WS-FTP LE'. When I'd used it , it was freeware at the time. However, I'm unsure if they made it shareware or not since then as I speak through 5 years of not using it.

If you also need an easy-to-setup and use HTTP server to get your boards running on, you can try Abyss WebServer. You'll also need to have PHP installed to run PHP scripts which IPB is based off of. There is an easy tutorial on the abyss site on setting it up.

As for setting up MySQL, there might be a simple tutorial somewhere...

Wish you luck. :)

Here's the easiest solution to setting up a basic server:

1) Install XAMPP. It's got everything you need for just about every scripting language out there.

2) Upload your files to your webserver with the included Filezilla server. A good free client is Filezilla client.

The XAMPP homepage has LOTS of help files and FAQs to help you out. Just read through there and you'll be up and running in no time. :)

• 3 months later...

Here is your problem. You expect to get diskspace and bandwith for -free-. It's not going to happen. You can get it cheap, say around $5-$10/mo, but no one will give it to you for free.

What you need is a webserver, with http access, and ftp access to the root level of the http folder.

You will use your FTP connection to upload the files to your server, and place them where you want, then you'd use your HTTP connection to set up, and install the boards and or chat.

When you log into the ftp, you will see multiple folders. One of them should say "httproot" or "webroot". That means, that folder is the index of the HTTP path. I.E., lets say we are working on a website named www.IHaveAWebsite.com, when I add the file named file.txt to the "httproot" folder, typing www.IHaveAWebsite.com/file.txt, the browser will pull up this file. And again, if I place a new folder called "images" within the httproot folder, and then place mypic.jpg inside of that folder, typing www.IHaveAWebsite.com/images/mypic.jpg will load this file.

Things to remember:

On windows hosting servers, capitolization does not matter. In otherwords, www.domain.com/LOL.JPG = www.domain.com/lol.jpg. However on *nix based webservers, while you cannot have a file with the same spelling and varied capitolization, if you don't type the file exactly as it is found on the server, it will not pull it up.

To find a hosting company, google "web hosting" and find one that fits your price range, and has the features you look for.

You need to have PHP, MSSQL or MYSQL, and probably java support (for the chat room) on whatever host you decide to use, so make sure those features are enabled.

Here's the easiest solution to setting up a basic server:

1) Install XAMPP. It's got everything you need for just about every scripting language out there.

2) Upload your files to your webserver with the included Filezilla server. A good free client is Filezilla client.

The XAMPP homepage has LOTS of help files and FAQs to help you out. Just read through there and you'll be up and running in no time. :)

thats definetly what he should do, thats what i do.

awardspace.com is an okay free webspace site ive been playing with latey, but if you really want to get things going, you need at least a basic hosting account.

Edited by ripken204

To follow the tutorial you dont need an FTP server, you need a HTTP server with an FTP account. The FTP is only to put the files into the HTTP server. This can also be afchieved by using the upload forms, but takes a **** long time (with an FTP client you click all the files and folders and click upload).

This one has advertising but will get you started

http://www.bravenet.com/

Edited by phkninja

• 2 weeks later...

I have not used FTP for anything in a long time but you can setup a FTP on your own computer ( which most people use it for ) to allow people like your family and freinds to download various stuff from your computer.

2000 and NT I think already have FTP built in but for 98 or Linux you need a seperate program which you should be able to use FTPing on your webspace also.

Do not forget to use passwords and block off areas not intended for outsiders. However FTP on your computer can be slow if your upload is slow but is great way to share small files.