what's your computer's performance?

ripken204

Another "1" score... Running inside VMWare Server (still on a decent machine though, 3GHz, 2GB RAM). Haven't played much with it though, because I missed that window to get evaluation codes, and 14 days just isn't enough to even bother with it. My guess is, all of my PCs would need upgrades to run Vista with Aero - mainly new video cards (but without it, it runs just fine really)

My five year-old Dimension 8100 (1.7 P4, 1gb RDRAM, 32mb nVidia graphics card) gets a 1.0, doesn't run Aero, but still runs relatively well under the Ultimate version of RC1. I suspect that if I were to get rid of the Ultimate bloat and run Home Basic or Business, it would probably run as well as under XP.

Not like I'd ever buy Vista for this machine, though...it'll be running XP until either the computer or XP dies, and as good as this computer has been for me, my money says XP will run out of support first.

my system got a 4, thanks to the CPU (which is about to be replaced) but my graphics got a 5.9?

Now if this is out of 10, my ATI X1900XTX should have surely got a 10?

Strange :(

well my 7800gt got a 5.9 also and we both know that your card is ALOT better than mine. so currenty the scoring must be limited to less than 6.

My five year-old Dimension 8100 (1.7 P4, 1gb RDRAM, 32mb nVidia graphics card) gets a 1.0, doesn't run Aero, but still runs relatively well under the Ultimate version of RC1. I suspect that if I were to get rid of the Ultimate bloat and run Home Basic or Business, it would probably run as well as under XP.

Not like I'd ever buy Vista for this machine, though...it'll be running XP until either the computer or XP dies, and as good as this computer has been for me, my money says XP will run out of support first.

Yeah, that's more or less my scenario too. Plenty of CPU and RAM (~3GHz / 1.5GB average), but low-end graphics (I'm perfectly happy with any old card). I might end up getting Vista with my next PC, but right now I don't really see a need. The main thing that interests me is .NET framework 3, which will also run on XP and 2003. Then there are a bunch of other things which are kinda nice but not quite essential (a non-ghetto installer, newer/better driver model, new kernel improvements, UAC, etc) - and a bunch of stuff I couldn't care less about (IE7? Thanks but no thanks! DirectX 10? Bah, not into games AT ALL... IPv6? Nice, but adoption is ~0%). Longhorn server will have IIS7 at least (an uncrippled version of it), so I'm interested in it (my guess is, it'll cost some ungodly amount, though)

Edited by crahak

1! Because my video card (on a laptop ;)) has... get this... 32 megabytes of ram!!!

Maybe in coming years, I'll build myself a new PC with one of those new nVidia 7800 GT cards with 512mb of ram :)

Here's a screenshot of my dismal performance:

screenyev3.th.png

But actually, believe it or not, MY benchmarks say it runs Vista Ultimate just as fast as it did XP. Maybe it's because I have a higher-end processor: a Pentium 4 at 3 gigahertz. The clockspeed is fast enough to break through that 'clockspeed = faster performance' myth.

Edited by WBHoenig

With the config in my sig I get 3.1, my processor being the lowest. Why's that? 'cause it's running in hyperthreading? Vista says my processor is 1.5GHz!!!

Probably the dreaded thermal throttling! Pentium 4s are known to underclock if overheating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the config in my sig I get 3.1, my processor being the lowest. Why's that? 'cause it's running in hyperthreading? Vista says my processor is 1.5GHz!!!

Probably the dreaded thermal throttling! Pentium 4s are known to underclock if overheating.

Ermmmm.... Seated on the CPU is this. Don't think that the score has anything to do with thermal throttling as the CPU stays at 25-26 degrees Centigrade when idle. And why is it seen as running at 1.5 GHz? :blink:

Ermmmm.... Seated on the CPU is this. Don't think that the score has anything to do with thermal throttling as the CPU stays at 25-26 degrees Centigrade when idle. And why is it seen as running at 1.5 GHz? :blink:

if you run cpuID on vista does it show up at the 1.5ghz? or the 3.0?

5.5 is the max right now.MS had a white paper with beta information in it, it stated 5.5.

The question is...

Does anybody know which the maximum rate Vista can give is in a theoretical optimal hardware configuration?

Performace does not take into account thermal throttling. The baseline performace rate is decided at Vista install, its part of the install.

My beta machine is running hyperthreading and it detects just fine. I'm assuming that your running an intel processor, If it says your processor is 1.5 GhZ and it should be 3.0 Ghz (for example) then its possible:

1. Hyperthreading is disabled in the bios.

2. Your overclocking (if thats what you did) is really turning off hyperthreading or has actually underclocked the processor.

3. Your porocessor is damaged.

4. The chipset on your MB is damaged.

5. The FSB for the motherboard is not correct. (I'd take a look at this if I were you, this happened to me once, drove me nuts until I checked the bios, happened right after a BIOS update. Could happen for other reasons)

Ahhhh...heck, there could be lots of reasons. Could also be a faulty install of Vista. Did you check the processor with one of the many CPU checking things available?

if you run cpuID on vista does it show up at the 1.5ghz? or the 3.0?

It shows 3.0... :blink:

1. Hyperthreading is disabled in the bios.

2. Your overclocking (if thats what you did) is really turning off hyperthreading or has actually underclocked the processor.

3. Your porocessor is damaged.

4. The chipset on your MB is damaged.

5. The FSB for the motherboard is not correct. (I'd take a look at this if I were you, this happened to me once, drove me nuts until I checked the bios, happened right after a BIOS update. Could happen for other reasons)

Ahhhh...heck, there could be lots of reasons. Could also be a faulty install of Vista. Did you check the processor with one of the many CPU checking things available?

1. No changes made in bios before installing Vista, XP shows 2 CPU's with the correct frequencies.

2. :blink:

3. Bull****

4. Same as above.

5. No BIOS update made between taking out XP and installation of Vista.

I'd say it's a bug in Vista, what do you guys say?

Edited by nitroshift