need a new graphics card

bonestonne

i need a PCI graphics card, there are some that i'd love to have but cannot. i am limited to 3 PCI slots total, one has my ethernet controller. my current graphics card that gives 32-bit graphics is a Genoa Phantom d3/ViRGE v. 8375. its got to be at least 5 years old, probably much older, i can't say for sure, i don't know much about it.

its 32it graphics, 6MB of memory. i need a 32bit PCI graphics card soon, and i need suggestions.

The MX4000 from nVidia doesn´t have so much performance altrough the RAM is the same as the 5200FX. I persony go with ATi for PCI;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....250&Ntk=all

In general the ATi Radeon 9250 works better then the nVidia 5200FX.

What kind of CPU do you have, how much RAM and what OS? What are you planning to do with it?

The MX4000 from nVidia doesn´t have so much performance altrough the RAM is the same as the 5200FX. I persony go with ATi for PCI;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....250&Ntk=all

In general the ATi Radeon 9250 works better then the nVidia 5200FX.

What kind of CPU do you have, how much RAM and what OS? What are you planning to do with it?

1.1GHz processor, 512MB RAM, Windows XP Home/Ubuntu v5.08/Windows Vista 5384 [soon to upgrade to 5536]

i need the card because vista requires 32bit graphics. the intel chip thats on my motherboard is 24bit graphics, which runs XP and linux fine, but with vista, i want to be able to have a card i can use without having to short my computer out to kill a stray volt.

i don't exactly plan on playing many games [although over the summer i like to do a little]. i am unable to get a screenshot of my problem, but to describe it, i loose all graphics on the bottom 2 inches of my screen. i know its the card because its the only thing that causes the problem. when i first used it for Vista, it worked well, but it is a very old card, and its dying quick. right now im back on XP, but on tuesday im getting a new card and needed help on what to get. i can't really go for any high powered gamers card, but i do need something that shows all of the screen, all of the time.

out of fear of ruining my second hard drive i haven't tried upgrading vista yet, if i loose graphics halfway through, that could be a lot against me.

no, sadly. the mobo is just about 5 years old now, all its got is 3 PCI slots. the case isn't that big either, room for 2 optical drives, 2 hard drives, 1 disk drive.

if i had an AGP slot, i'd have better card in there, i've got an ASUS and an ATi at my disposal. just no slots for it

Edited by bonestonne

Vista, on a 1.1GHz machine? That's not going to perform well.

you say that, but i haven't had problems with it. i've only got minimal programs installed, AV, MS Works, Photoshop...basic things, actually i don't think i have photoshop on it...i think i actually have Gimp...but im running XP right now so i can't exactly check.