USB keyboard w/ PS2 adapter not getting reconized

videobruce

Using a USB leyboard with a PS2 adapter (not to tie up a USB port), the system doesn't reconize the keyboard. It does with a USB mouse using a PS2 adapter. It is a Compaq keyboard if that matters.

I will try the keyboard on another box when I can and try the other adapter also. In the mean time any ideas?

I have a Logitech USB..that I use with the PS/2....are you sure you have the keyboard drivers for PS/2 installed....and yes the bio's could be checked also for 'keyboard' detect and PS/2 enabled.

Edited by jroc

Okay, relax... that PS/2 adapter didn´t come with the keyboard, so forget it, it will not work. You are trying the imposible ;).

had to edit my post, my English is getting bad

Edited by puntoMX

Okay, relax... that PS/2 adapter didn´t come with the keyboard, so forget it, it will not work. You are trying the imposible ;).

had to edit my post, my English is getting bad

so the adaptors are different internally? b/c i tried a mouse adapter and it didnt work.

The "adapter" doesn't really have any circuitry in it, it just changes the pinout.

Most mice now are dual-mode, they can sense which mode to operate in (USB or PS/2) depending on which port it's plugged into.

Keyboards. I don't know of any dual-mode ones.

Keyboards. I don't know of any dual-mode ones.

Logitech for example has them like almost 10 years or so now, green for the mouse, purple for the keyboard, like the color code of the motherboards, I think the colors are from 1997 or so...

PS/2 mice and keyboards have different pinouts... That's why you can only plug them into their specified ports on the back of your computer. Same goes for those little PS/2 adapters. There are ones made specifically for mice (green) and ones made specifically for keyboards (purple/blue)! ;)