5.3 Wishlist

Guest thg13

From small tutorial:

#8 In the Command 1 section browse to the installation package you want to have installed. You will get (%CDROM%\WPI\Install\WindowsDefender.msi) to make this work from either a stand-alone CD or form a windows CD You should change this to “%wpipath%\Install\WindowsDefender.msi” Once again NO quotes!

Why isn't it possible to do this automatically ?

There should be a possibility to store the filepath of the CD root. If you browse to the desired app, this path should be replaced by the real path on CD

Example:

CD root: D:\WPI

D:\WPI\Install\WindowsDefender.msi

should be replaced by

%CDROM%\Install\WindowsDefender.msi

Thank you

Some features that I would find useful:

- disable or hide the Options, Config, Show Source and Manual buttons when WPI is run from a removable drive. Most of the times they are read-only and these options are useless.

- disable screensaver while installer is running (I'm not sure if the screensaver may activate ... just an idea though).

I'll edit this post later because I have to go right now ...

Thanks for the great work.

Just a couple of ideas and suggestion and see what you all thinks:

Have a better width in Config Mode for 1024x768 resolution:

I spend most of the time in the Config Mode in WPI. I work with 1024x768 screen resolution and this resolution does not work well with this mode. The width is too small and it squezzed the Configured items in the navigation area making it difficult to read (especially the long name ones).

One suggestion that might give more width and maximize the working screen space is to put the "Selections" "Options" "Config" horizontally on the top instead of vertically on the left.

(though it work perfectly in 1280x1024 but I suggest this because the most popular resolution is still 1024x768 --> http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressb...solutions.html

Also for Config Mode:

Option to have a Section heading of Cateogries for config items in the Navigation area:

In the Navigation, have option to enable a divide/section the list of config items into category like a heading or something. This will make it easier to find, especially when you have hundreds or more items to do.

Option to have the "Install Order" number beside the configured items in the Navigation area:

If possibile have an option to enable the "Install Order" option beside the already configured items in the Navigation so that can better sort the item without going back and forth to check each item to check for for order number.

Again thanks for the great work.

Edited by jellobui

I don't know if this is a bug or a wish but:

When you add the name of the App, say "Adobe Reader 7.0" it automatically generates a unique ID. Awesome. Works good.

Now, say I put some dependencies / conditions using this uniqueID. So far so good.

Now I update my installation source to the newest version and edit the app name to "Adobe Reader 7.0.8" and the uniqueID Automatically changes...NOT SO GOOD. Now all my dependencies / conditions have to be edited....Now multiply this by the number of apps that get updated and have dependencies...It causes lots of problems...

Perhaps you could put a check such that to check if the uniqueID is blank, then auto fill it, otherwise leave it as is...

Just my 2 cents...All in all, your app is a blessing...

Added JuMz's idea. The UID is now only changed/updated if UID is blank, as in, a new entry. This will help with version updates.

jellobui: Added youd idea for the install order next to name.

Edited by mritter

Restart and resume features would allow WPI to finally replace robust custom sequencing scripts or ktool for handling a long installation routine requiring multiple restarts for safe installation of service packs, hotfixes, frameworks, drivers, reg settings, etc.

The ability to specify Reboot as one of many commands in a set for a particular checkbox would be very powerful. Also, a more active approach to implementing this by writing the current progress before running each command would allow for resuming at the correct point in the event that an installer forces a reboot the installation routine would not be comporomised.

These next questions are not nearly as valuable as the restart and resume functionality, however, a few questions:

Are subcategories possible with the current version?

Are complex dependancies possible such as all of the following:

Require other program be selected

Require filexist or fileversion > *

Require registrykey exist or registrykeyvalue = *

I see that the require other program is implemented, however ideally there would be one more field for a "Installed" test of file existance or registry value - this would display small graphic or text indication and disable the item. The addition of one more field for the uninstaller path shortcut would make a great target for the label.

These features would make WPI provide much more useful feedback for real world mission critical complex environments and improve efficiency by saving time figuring out which software is already loaded.

Thank you for considering this information. I hope to see WPI become as robust a tool for deployment as perl or conditional autoit, currently it's way more pretty, but not as functional. ;)

mike_jrt, except for the restart feature, everything is already implemented. Take a closer look at the cond and gcond parameters. They allow you to check and disable certain items if they are already installed.

Edited by sadicq

• 1 month later...

I have got a config of over 400 installs (5 pages on 1280 x 1024), but it takes over 30 secconds for it to load (2.8gig pc)

I would like to be able to compile a pre generated screen sized hta or html or exe or combination of all for my list once your generation process has complete... This should speed the sucker up!!!

I know this probablly goes agains all current features of WPIw BUT I have decided your program would make a great autorun dvd install disk for alllllll the software I've collected over the years. . . . And having spent the last 3 days straight getting the config.js to include name, exe name, and Unique ID cheeted (all called APP00?)with the ? being a counter (helps keep track of which ones I've done). I noticed if I run the wpi.hta it takes about 32 secconds to load and if I press select all or select default it also takes 15 to 20 seconds to happen!!

Your program (or scripts) are the easiest way of doing this sort of stuff and I'd like to see if you can expand it's functions (in your spare time of course, CAUSE WE ALL HAVE THAT)!!

ALSO

Like I said above. . . if you do make this feature you'll need a way to create config.js easier. . . like. . .

How about adding a import folder option to generate the name, uniqueID, exe name and perhaps even ask for a default catagory. . . . I would think that if this feature comes about that you force users to only add usable folders (above the WPI path) so that you only need the extended path and not the whole C:\blah\blah\blah\WPI\FolderIWant\App1.exe should only be Added as 'FolderIWant\App1.exe'.

Take a shot, free you minds and get coding!!! lol

Good Luck for the future!!

Nightwolf81 :)