Nlite is *breaking* my install

JasonGW

Just out of pure curiousity, when using nLite...are you checking driver recompression(removes duplicate drivers and recompresses the .cab) just before nlite does "its thing" at the end? I never use that cuz I had an error once with an install after i did that. Decided not to do that next time and error went away. Like I said, I'm just an outsider speculating and trying to help.

Also, the best possible scenario to get the best possible results is to use a WindowsXP Home/Pro *Untouched/Gold* CD/ISO and use nLite to slipstream SP2 only(and whatever addons). Or get your hands on a untouched copy of XP w/SP2 already integrated and do nLiting from there. This is what I do and usually get perfect ISO/CD every time.

Just trying to help&simplify.

-Mark

I don't touch the driver recompression, but I do wonder if it gets kicked off automatically if you remove any of the existing drivers. As for my source, I'm using the same source I've used ever since SP2 first hit, and through numerous versions of nLite, it's only the last version or two that seems to screw it up, I have no idea why. My source started as an RTM and I integrated the SP2 into it the Microsoft way when SP2 first came out.

Weird. I wonder if I still have a copy of RTM around here somewhere...

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

I`m not sure whether in the other options you happen to also have disabled SFC(windows file protection) ???

If you have , and you have the missing file problem then what worked for me was.

First disable SFC(windows file protection) ,

then let nlite execute that order and finish nlite.

Then start nlite again and/or install ryan`svm updatepack.

Hope that helps.

Otherwise (i didnt try this) maybe try to put all the files from sp1.cab and sp2.cab into drivers.cab and then use ryanvm.

Probably with disabling SFC(windows file protection) nlite doesnt expect certain files to be in certain SP?.cab`s so just throws them away because nlite presumes they still are in Drivers.cab

Edited by WinCury

OK, so I'm running the latest nLite. What I did yesterday was use nLite to integrate the RyanVM update pack and a bunch of other RVM updates, then I installed it into a VM machine and it listed off a stack of missing files. So I went back to the drawing board and did it again, but *without* the RVM updates, and I got the same result. I went to bed.

This morning I got up, downloaded the RVM integrator, through a bunch of updates into an *original* XP SP2 disk, created an ISO, installed it into VMWare--zero problems all the way through. Cool, I thought, so I fired up nLite, used it to remove components and apply tweaks to my already patched XP SP2, made an ISO, loaded it into VMWare and then--the same files as before are missing.

The files missing are:

AMDK6.SYS, AMDK7.SYS, ARP1394.SYS, CRUSOE.SYS, KS.SYS, NDISUIO.SYS, NIC1394.SYS, P3.SYS, PARPORT.SYS, PID,DLL, PROCESSOR.SYS, SONYDCAM.SYS, STREAM.SYS, TUNMP.SYS, WZCSAPI.DLL, WZCSVC.DLL, MSH263.DRV, USBINTEL.SYS, NTKRNLPA.EXE and MOUCLASS.SYS.

You aren't alone. I had the same issue.

nLite randomly broke the Windows installation process.

I would get file copy errors, but probably not the same files as mentioned above.

Also, be on the look out for the dreaded "Setup cannot copy the file: syssetupo.dll" or similar error message.

I had that problem.

The only solution is to start all over again, then pray that nLite didn't break the Windows installation process. :angry:

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP, you again with your taunts...how many times I have to explain that your issues were yours only and that I can't fix phantoms even though I tried your setup many times, it always worked...no praying involved.

OK, so I'm running the latest nLite. What I did yesterday was use nLite to integrate the RyanVM update pack and a bunch of other RVM updates, then I installed it into a VM machine and it listed off a stack of missing files. So I went back to the drawing board and did it again, but *without* the RVM updates, and I got the same result. I went to bed.

This morning I got up, downloaded the RVM integrator, through a bunch of updates into an *original* XP SP2 disk, created an ISO, installed it into VMWare--zero problems all the way through. Cool, I thought, so I fired up nLite, used it to remove components and apply tweaks to my already patched XP SP2, made an ISO, loaded it into VMWare and then--the same files as before are missing.

The files missing are:

AMDK6.SYS, AMDK7.SYS, ARP1394.SYS, CRUSOE.SYS, KS.SYS, NDISUIO.SYS, NIC1394.SYS, P3.SYS, PARPORT.SYS, PID,DLL, PROCESSOR.SYS, SONYDCAM.SYS, STREAM.SYS, TUNMP.SYS, WZCSAPI.DLL, WZCSVC.DLL, MSH263.DRV, USBINTEL.SYS, NTKRNLPA.EXE and MOUCLASS.SYS.

You aren't alone. I had the same issue.

nLite randomly broke the Windows installation process.

I would get file copy errors, but probably not the same files as mentioned above.

Also, be on the look out for the dreaded "Setup cannot copy the file: syssetupo.dll" or similar error message.

I had that problem.

The only solution is to start all over again, then pray that nLite didn't break the Windows installation process. :angry:

1-don't overclock

2-OCCT : http://www.ocbase.com/downocct.html

3-check memory

4-check harddrive (have been my case)

I had the same problem as the original poster. I had the exact same missing files, and the SP2.cab file was gone. I did some backtracking and found that (at least in my case) the SP2.cab disappeared after running the RVM Integrator (v1.4.1). I redid the disc using nlite to integrate the RVM Update Pack (2.1.0) and everything ran fine. So maybe it's a problem with the RVM Integrator and Windows discs that were upgraded to SP2 from SP1, rather than a gold disc.

RJARRRPCGP, you again with your taunts...how many times I have to explain that your issues were yours only and that I can't fix phantoms even though I tried your setup many times, it always worked...no praying involved.

I really dunno then. :}

Also, I'm not taunting anybody!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

I too had a problem with missing files after first using Ryan's integrator before nlite. I had started with a 'golden' (as a newbie I hope I'm using that phrase correctly) Dell OEM XP Home CD and kept thinking my problems were due to using a Dell CD. I used the Integrator to splipsteam SP2, add the latest Ryan hotfix update pack as well as WMP10 and WGP.

I decided to try using only nLite to do the same, and voila, no mising files (or at least, not the same ones that were missing originally). Hence, I determined the Integrator was the culprit; though I never investigated exactly what was missing (i.e. the cab file mentioned in the previous posts).

Now I have a new problem (I was going to start a new thread about that), but I'll mention it here, for now, at least. When I used the MS Base Security Analyser on the last nLite ISO, testing in VMware Workstation, it told me I was missing 37 hotfixes!

This is probably meaningless now but I was having the same problem.

nlite couldn't intergrate the post sp2 pack probably so I use to intergrate ryan's post sp2 pack using his integrater to create my base and then use to nlite to add drivers, addons and slim down the cd.

But since nlite in now compatible with ryans post sp2 pack there's no need to bother with ryan's intergrater :/

After integration of the RVM 2.1.1 update pack (RVMIntegrator) the named missing files are all in the DRIVER.CAB

After removing any driver with Nlite the named files are missing in the DRIVER.CAB.

If you don't remove any drivers all is okay.

Edited by wive43

Is your CPU overclocked ?

Is this a serious question. The answer however is NO.

I just can't see how overclocking can change the outcome of an proces that results in a

new cd for installation.

For me it's clear that processing the DRIVER.CAB by Nlite is responsible for the

disappearing of the named drivers.

Also, I never had that problem with nLite 1.0rc6. Back when I tested nLite 1.0rc6,

it was the best release I tested so far! Thumbs up! B)

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Is your CPU overclocked ?

Is this a serious question. The answer however is NO.

I just can't see how overclocking can change the outcome of an proces that results in a

new cd for installation.

For me it's clear that processing the DRIVER.CAB by Nlite is responsible for the

disappearing of the named drivers.

Yes, serious. :rolleyes:

Because nlite does not compress driver.cab : it asks makecab.exe (M$ utility) to do it.

If your CPU is OC'ed, you may get some corruption.

The other possibility is nlite deletes the files but does not remove the references to them so windows tries to copy them to the HD and complains since the files are not here.