Nlite is *breaking* my install

JasonGW

OK, so I'm running the latest nLite. What I did yesterday was use nLite to integrate the RyanVM update pack and a bunch of other RVM updates, then I installed it into a VM machine and it listed off a stack of missing files. So I went back to the drawing board and did it again, but *without* the RVM updates, and I got the same result. I went to bed.

This morning I got up, downloaded the RVM integrator, through a bunch of updates into an *original* XP SP2 disk, created an ISO, installed it into VMWare--zero problems all the way through. Cool, I thought, so I fired up nLite, used it to remove components and apply tweaks to my already patched XP SP2, made an ISO, loaded it into VMWare and then--the same files as before are missing.

The files missing are:

AMDK6.SYS, AMDK7.SYS, ARP1394.SYS, CRUSOE.SYS, KS.SYS, NDISUIO.SYS, NIC1394.SYS, P3.SYS, PARPORT.SYS, PID,DLL, PROCESSOR.SYS, SONYDCAM.SYS, STREAM.SYS, TUNMP.SYS, WZCSAPI.DLL, WZCSVC.DLL, MSH263.DRV, USBINTEL.SYS, NTKRNLPA.EXE and MOUCLASS.SYS.

Most of these appear to be processor drivers, I think (AMDk6,7, crusoe, etc), which I definitely didn't select for removal. Same with USBIntel and certainly anything to do with the NTKRNL, which just seems silly.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? It's *consistently* occurring solely when I use NLite 1.0 final to remove components and add tweaks.

thanks!

Jason

sorry, here's mine :hello:

the steps i did were:

1-integrated an original vanilla XP pro SP2 with latest ryanvm's pack, latest integrator (at the time of post)

2-shrinked the result with nlite v.1, made/burn iso

system specs: A64 3000+, 9800 pro, 1gb ram, k8n mobo

Last_Sessionx.ini

Edited by Marlby23

Here's mine. As I mentioned above, if I use the same source and do *nothing* but integrate RyanVM's updates using the integrator, it's all good. As soon as I nLite the sucker to remove garbage, the problems arise. As an aside, I notice toward the bottom it's got some settings listed for unattended and for the network adapters, which I did NOT set. I have my own custom winnt.sif that has the settings for the unattended install just the way I want them.

I'm not sure, is it rude for me to be glad I'm not the only one with this problem? :)

Jason

Last_Session.ini

Edited by JasonGW

When I see these files reported over and over

AMDK6.SYS, AMDK7.SYS...

It's because of slipstreamed sp2 over sp1 or corrupted CABinet file (driver.cab or sp*.cab)

I re-confirm the issue :(

Today i decided to start over again using the same configuration .ini with the latest tools/update pack (RyanVM's Upd. Pack V. 2.1.0, Integrator V. 1.4.0 and nLite 1.0.1 Final.) following carefully every step (integrating Ryan's pack with the integrator and processing the output with nLite, then burning the resulting .iso with Nero)

Everything worked fine until the file copy screen, then i get the same files missing (AMDK6.SYS, AMDK7.SYS, ARP1394.SYS, etc..)

The strange thing is that pretty much the same config used to work with nLite RC8 (i did a couple minor changes and thats it). I even used a newly restored environment do do everything :(

Sadly i don't have VMware and only 1 rig so the testing is kinda tedious -i have to do a Ghost restore everytime-

Oh and by the way i'm using a retail XP pro SP2 disk (not integrated) to do the whole thing so a sp2 over sp1 scenario is excluded :ph34r:

..any light on this is appreciated, thanks :ph34r:

Thanks for the fast reply, just did the tests and both DRIVER.CAB and SP1.CAB (i dont see any SP2.CAB O.o) are fine. I'm attaching the reports of both archives.

edit: hmm just noticed that apparently the missing files are inside sp1.cab :ph34r:

thanks in advance for any help.

DRIVER.txt

SP1.txt

Edited by Marlby23

Oh and by the way i'm using a retail XP pro SP2 disk (not integrated) to do the whole thing so a sp2 over sp1 scenario is excluded :ph34r:

something is wrong with your cd cause it has to have sp2.cab ....and not sp1...

something is wrong with your cd cause it has to have sp2.cab ....and not sp1...

The original (unmodified) disk has both, and ive never had any problems with it. Only the created winlite .iso image lacks sp2.cab... too bad i can't compare the contens with a working winlite image because i overwrited the old one (i use a cd-rw)

Ah I knew it, some kind of slipstream error, probably MS fault and yeah you had sp1 and integrated sp2 over it just as I suspected.

This is rare but constant problem, nothing I can do I'm afraid, redo your cd, slipstream sp2 again and make sure that sp2.cab is there.

Ohh i see.. thanks nuhi i will start from scratch (it's gonna be a long night... lol, at least i just installed VMware for testing.

Anyway, are you 100% positive my cd has sp2 slipstreamed over sp1? i was thinking otherwise for years now, HERE is a snip of the readme inside the disk. Just want to be sure because otherwise i could do the slipstreaming myself (i am a "sp1" licensor, borrowed the sp2 copy from my company and ive been using it -with my original license- since then. Is there a reliable way to be sure, maybe a signature of the contents of the disk or something like that?

Anyway, will report eventual results of my tests later. :ph34r: