Nlite is *breaking* my install

JasonGW

When I see these files reported over and over

AMDK6.SYS, AMDK7.SYS...

It's because of slipstreamed sp2 over sp1 or corrupted CABinet file (driver.cab or sp*.cab)

My copy of WinXP SP2 corporate was slipstreamed into an RTM corporate copy of XP. I've redone the slipstreaming process just to be sure, but the same thing happens. I agree it's probably a corrupted driver.cab, but could the way nLite recompresses it have something to do with it? When I use the naked RyanVM integrator and don't do any nLiting it works *fine*, so I'm sure it's not the packs nor the integrator.

thanks for looking, Nuhi, mucho appreciativo :)

Jason

Urgh.. after some testing ive got something (nothing good trough :( )

1- Integrating the xp cd with Ryan's pack (nlite not used at all) = Installed succesfully

2- Shinking the xp cd with nLite (Ryan's stuff not used at all) = Installed successfully(!!)

3- Combining both = Installation fails miserably (same errors)

notes:

-used always the same .ini (previously attached)

-noticed that the iso created by nlite in the scenario #2 had the file SP2.CAB

-noticed that the iso created by nlite in the scenario #3 had the file SP1.CAB (renaming the cab doesnt worked)

I seriously hope it gets fixed soon.. i guess it will take awhile since don't know if its a nlite, integrator or MS issue :(

I agree with that, nuhi. It's apparently an Integrator issue indeed.

I just tried using nLite to integrate RyanVM's pack (following THIS instructions, and this time all the files were copied successfully.

Just sayin, so other users with the same issue can give it a go.

cheers :thumbup

I'm not here to debug the integrator, use only nlite then and report if you have any issues with some addons which otherwise work on the integrator.

Well, that's what I did first :) The only reason I used the integrator at all is because nLite gave me those errors when I tried to use it to install those same updates that worked fine in the later test with the integrator.

Jason

Just a quick update, my XP disk was indeed a slipstreamed sp2, just tried using integrator with a proper xp-sp2 (somehow my disks got swapped..) then nlite and everything worked perfectly. Therefore i conclude that this issue appears on some specific slipstreamed CDs.. not an integrator nor nLite's fault.

I apologise for any confusion i caused :P

regards

Just a quick update, my XP disk was indeed a slipstreamed sp2, just tried using integrator with a proper xp-sp2 (somehow my disks got swapped..) then nlite and everything worked perfectly. Therefore i conclude that this issue appears on some specific slipstreamed CDs.. not an integrator nor nLite's fault.

I apologise for any confusion i caused :P

regards

Explain please? What's wrong with the disk having already had SP2 slipstreamed into it? nLite supports that scenario just fine and always has as far as I know. I also know that my SP2 slipstreamed disk is fine, it works flawlessly and I've installed hundreds of systems from this source, all problem free. In past versions of nLite I've also made nLited disks from this source, most problem free. I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, I guess.

Jason

I haven't explained myself well enough i see..

I'm not saying that theres something bad with all slipstreamed cd's, but only with some rare ones(i can't say what's wrong with them trough). To back up this theory i tried installing different versions of xp sp2, using the exact same config files and software.

Versions used:

-XP SP2 VLK (volume license)

-XP SP2 (slipstreamed not by myself, the one i was having problems with)

-XP SP1 + Slipstreamed SP2 (i did the slipstreaming myself, using nlite)

Result: I had the copy problem only with the slipstreamed cd (second on the list), as always first used integrator, then nlite.

Huh yeah then again i could be wrong, probably the cause is somewhere else,and cant really speak for everyone since apparently only a couple other people have this issue

hope this clears things up

I haven't explained myself well enough i see..

I'm not saying that theres something bad with all slipstreamed cd's, but only with some rare ones(i can't say what's wrong with them trough). To back up this theory i tried installing different versions of xp sp2, using the exact same config files and software.

Versions used:

-XP SP2 VLK (volume license)

-XP SP2 (slipstreamed not by myself, the one i was having problems with)

-XP SP1 + Slipstreamed SP2 (i did the slipstreaming myself, using nlite)

Result: I had the copy problem only with the slipstreamed cd (second on the list), as always first used integrator, then nlite.

Huh yeah then again i could be wrong, probably the cause is somewhere else,and cant really speak for everyone since apparently only a couple other people have this issue

hope this clears things up

Oh, OK, now I understand a bit better ;) On my CD, I slipstreamed SP2 into my XP RTM source manually, using the Microsoft method. Subsequently I used nLite (the first time) to addin all the RyanVM packs and such and remove components, which gave me the error. Then I tried again, using the Integrator to add the RyanVM packs and nLite to add tweaks/remove components, and I got the error. When I used the integrator on my source and *didn't* remove anything or add tweaks, it installed just fine. Of course, I'd prefer it to install fine SANS these silly bloat components, LOL.

Jason

OK, I've narrowed the problem down to nLite's removal of built in XP *Drivers*. I went item by item starting at the top and removed a section, built the ISO, rang through the first part of install, then I'd proceed to remove from the next section. I never once got the error until I removed some of XP's built in Drivers using nLite. Attached is my INI. Anything we can do?

Jason

Last_Session.ini

Of course it's drivers when it's them which are initializing driver cab recompression then your corrupted cab comes into play ;)

So, then what do I do? Just not remove any drivers at all? The only sucky part of that is that there's probably close to 100MB of stuff that I could safely remove if it wouldn't corrupt the driver.cab when recompressing. Any idea why it gets corrupted and if there's something I can do to fix it?

Jason

Check driver.cab and sp*.cab files with winrar test option.

If I already told that to you just say so.

Also use only gold version with sp2 slipstreamed, not sp1 then sp2.

Check driver.cab and sp*.cab files with winrar test option.

If I already told that to you just say so.

Also use only gold version with sp2 slipstreamed, not sp1 then sp2.

OK, I tested my driver.cab and sp*.cab files and found zero errors. However, what I did note is that post-nLite, there's no SP2.CAB, whereas it was there before. All I removed on that pass were a couple of items in hardware support.

any ideas??

Jason

Last_Session.ini

Just out of pure curiousity, when using nLite...are you checking driver recompression(removes duplicate drivers and recompresses the .cab) just before nlite does "its thing" at the end? I never use that cuz I had an error once with an install after i did that. Decided not to do that next time and error went away. Like I said, I'm just an outsider speculating and trying to help.

Also, the best possible scenario to get the best possible results is to use a WindowsXP Home/Pro *Untouched/Gold* CD/ISO and use nLite to slipstream SP2 only(and whatever addons). Or get your hands on a untouched copy of XP w/SP2 already integrated and do nLiting from there. This is what I do and usually get perfect ISO/CD every time.

Just trying to help&simplify.

-Mark