Integration of IE Beta 3

Tomalak

Hello all,

sorry if this has been asked before but the search does not work at the moment (at least for me) and I have not yet seen this topic here: is "hfslip" able to slipstream the new IE7 betas (final version will be similar so IMHO no extra effort is needed preparing this feature now) - or is this planned after the release of the final at the end of the year?

I guess it will not be similar to the IE6 method described on fdvs website as there are no cab files, and I'm talking of WinXP (with SP2) instead of Win2000 - but the files in the installer could be extracted and given to hfslip. So how to do a manual integration?

Thanks for your support,

Commander Tomalak

I'd rather have TommyP or Tomcat answer your question, but here's my take on it:

You could create a self-extracting switchless installer and dump it in HFSVCPACK. However, some of these new installers MS is making seem to require a special setup. This may or may not apply to IE7. Try this topic over at the RyanVM Forums if you are looking for a switchless installer (extract it out of the CAB file).

Edited by Super-Magician

I just took a look at the installation INF. OMFG! A 1.5 installation INF! I would say that HFSLIP should wait until it becomes gold before (maybe) tackling this bloatware proggy.

HAHAHAHA!!!

OMFG! A 1.5 installation INF!

As usual, TommyP isn't kidding... Oh wow, but this gave me a laugh. Looks like their approach toward security is a bit improved -- take a peek at the 'lockdown zones' and ActiveX settings now. I cannot believe all of the new CLSIDs. 'Bloat' is a bit of an understatement; have a look at the [Product.Add.Reg].

Well, it's obviously a security improvement over IE6, so I can't condemn anyone for wanting to use it. Right now it's packaged like a hotfix; I can't imagine that it will stay that way. So I would guess any work Tomcat76/TommyP does to acommodate this binary would have to be changed at a later date -- I cannot imagine that M$ would release IE7 final as a hotfix (would they?)

I cannot imagine that M$ would release IE7 final as a hotfix (would they?)
Probably not, but they *should* :lol:

FDV has a great point...should the dev team spend time supporting this when it is still beta and subject to lots of change? Maybe a user poll is in order? If everyone wants it, then I guess it is worth it. Just seems to me, IMHO, that there are better things the devs could be doing that chasing their tails over an evolving problem like this.

Hey, that's my switchless :P

IE7 supports "IE7B3.EXE /Integrate:<Path_to_source>"

(i think)

And suprtmagician, it's not switchless, it's the original w/the switchess added in svcpack.inf

Edited by T D

I made a switchless installer of ie7beta. the installer works, BUT it's causing errors to proceeding switchless installers and even unattended installations at my runonceex routine.

what i did as a workaround is put ie7beta switchless installer as the last routine in my runonceex just before the computer restarts. no problem with this method.

that was what i did, back then, with ie7beta for testing purposes only.

i don't include it nowadays... i seldom use ie anyway.

FDV has a great point...should the dev team spend time supporting this when it is still beta and subject to lots of change?

In contrary to my opening question I'd now say: no! As I understood it's way too much effort to do, and the final version might have a completely different distribution format.

The solution is - as I'm using it anyway - nLite: the newest version allows for integration of IE7 during creation of an installation CD. I was just not aware of the "integrate" option of the IE7 beta, it is not included in the official help you get with the '/?' option...

Regards,

Tomalak