configuring dual network cards

orange

a friend of mine has 2 nic's in his system and now he wants to configure it in a way that one nic is for uploading data and the other one for downloading is this possible to do this in a configuration?

and otherwise is it possible to let a networkcard use specific ports for example port 21 & 80 and block the other ports like 512 without using a fire wall like zone alarm pro just based on settings?

How do you mean? Like on a network or with ur dsl connection?

IT is possible to only allow certain ports with tcp/ip without a firewall, theres an option in the tcp/ip properties that allows you to specify what tcp ports you wish to allow on ur pc.

To a certain extent it is possible, if say u had 2 other pc's, the pc with the 2 nic's in it can actually act like a bridge between the 2 other pc's, allowing you to download from one pc and upload to the other simultaneously, without dropping the transfer rate, as you are using 2 separate cards to do the file transfers. This eliminates the need for a hub on a 3 pc network. However, I don't think its possible on a 2 pc network to configure 1 nic to upload and another to download, I may be wrong however, but i've never heard of any such configuration

Unless you are using some older hardware this would not do anything for you anyway. If your NIC and your switch support full duplex then you can transfer and recieve at the same time while getting full bandwidth.

If you are just wanting to be able to increase your total bandwidth by installing multiple NICS you can always Load Balance them so that they split up the work.

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters]
Value Name: RandomAdapter
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

I haven't tried using 2 NICs, but I have had my PC and laptop connected using Firewire and Ethernet at the same time.

As far as I know, the network needs to be configured and from my experience you are only permitted to use either one of the other, not both.

I maybe wrong about this, but having sent data between my two machines using a bridged connection, I've noticed that the transfer rate does not exceed 100mbps

I think that the Load Balance thing is the best for your friend.

That way, both NIC will be able to send AND receive data, at twice the speed.

I just don't know how to do it on OS other than win2k Server or win2k3... :)

• 1 month later...
I think that the Load Balance thing is the best for your friend.

That way, both NIC will be able to send AND receive data, at twice the speed.

I just don't know how to do it on OS other than win2k Server or win2k3...  :)

The regedit i posted a few posts back will enable load balancing on any NT based OS.

• 2 years later...

I don't know if this solution is good for me too, I just bought a new computer with 2 gigabit ethernet adapters integrated in the mobo, and thought that I could plug both of them to my router to get twice the speed.

If your Internet connection is from a cable modem or dsl, even a 10Mb half duplex interface could easily saturate your connection. As far as networking bandwidth within your home (or business), a single gig interface should easily satisfy even the most demanding application. In fact I'd speculate that a lot of computers would have difficulty in making that connection a bottleneck of any sort.