Charmap Wanted

Squeeto

If I want something back (say charmap.exe) that was FDV and HFCLEANUP removed, I should be able to bring it back by-

modify Fred's TXTSETUP.SIF and LAYOUT.INF for file and dependencies (charmap.exe and getuname.dll)

remove all instances of the files in the reducers

What am I missing?

charmap.ex_ and getuname.dl_ get copied over to SOURCESS and the SIF and INF files above have my changes but charmap.exe doesn't end up installing.

Probably missing something simple. Let me know if I need HFNETCHK etc on this.

Squeet - If you are running hfcleanup, search through all the hfcleanup reducers (use the search feature in windows) and search the contents for the "offending" file you want to keep. Remember, you need to search leaving that last character off in your search string.. ex getuname.dl Once you find the rem file, delete the rem file and the corresponding rin file from the hfcleanup folder.

BTW, dlls and some exes get installed via an INF files. You'll need to find the right inf file to restore. Good luck.

search through all the hfcleanup reducers (use the search feature in windows)
Did this, learned that trick from you a while back ;)

Applications_CharacterMap.rem

_charmap.ex

bopomofo.uc

gb2312.uc

_getuname.dl

ideograf.uc

kanji_1.uc

kanji_2.uc

korean.uc

shiftjis.uc

subrange.uc

I tried the .rin file with and without the '_'s.

The layout.inf and txtsetup.sif look like this-

cga80869.fon = 1,,5168,,,,,22,1

cga80woa.fon = 1,,4304,,,,,22,1,0

changer.sys = 1,,7536,,,,,4,1

;channels.scf = 1,,75,,,,,2,0,0,%ViewChannelsSCF%

;charmap.chm = 1,,19768,,,,,,3,3

charmap.exe = 1,,90384,,,,,,3,3

;charmap.hlp = 1,,12945,,,,,,3,3

chcp.com = 1,,8464,,,,,2,1,0

chimes.wav = 1,,55776,,,,,26,3,3

chkdsk.exe = 2,,13584,,,,,2,1,0

Note, getuname is without a semi-colon also

The only other entry is in hivesft.inf but the line is in the addreg portion.

The other entry is charmapAlt. This is beyond me.

Let me know if I need HFNETCHK etc on this.

hi Squeeto!

i know this ain't much ... but i would just probably let HFCLEANUP take that charmap out & replace it w/ an extended char map ...

i found this addon: Extended Character Map v1.41 by Mrs Peel (http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511) ...

but if you're not much for add-ons, just please disregard this ... :)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

Windows search is crap. Get Locate and gut that windows search like a fish! :thumbup
This program saves names of all files in your hard drives to file database. After that you can locate files. Very fast. This program works like updatedb and locate in Unix systems. Win32 based locating program also included. Program works with Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000/XP (and with Windows 95 if Internet Explorer 3 is installed).
Does it require IE? Is it free/GPL? What is a good version to try? There are four (4!) beta versions on the DL page but no notes about which one is stable or why one would choose any over the others.

I don't recommend stuff that requires IE. Every version is (completely?) stable on Windows 2000, and every version is buggy on Win9x. The newest betanews betas are months and months newer, but I can't find many earth-shattering differences really. They also require a beta to already be installed, and then unzip over it.

Installer: http://www.uku.fi/~jmhuttun/files/locate30beta.exe

What I like about it is it can find a file, out of hundreds of thousands on my computer, the instant I press the enter key. ;) If you point it to a dir, you can tell it to look for text inside the files. Oh, and it finds hidden & system files unlike the built-in search.

Another nice thing about it is that aside from loading the exe, it reads about 50 bytes off the disk when starting up at boot. NO boot slowdown. :thumbup

Edit: Oh, yes, freeware. :yes:

Edited by Kramy

Thanks Kramy. I am not a huge fan of explorer.exe anyways but we must have it. If you know of a way to gut it, let me know. Until that time, I don't want to double up on apps. It's search function is fast enough for me.

Kiki Burgh, I may go this way. I sure would like to be able to add back in things that I want though.

For me the benefits are too great. Sometimes I forget where I stuck a file, but I can find it instantly by remembering its name; I mean, you can't remember where everything goes if you have hundreds of thousands of them. :whistle:

E:\Download Me

1419 Files, 428 Folders, 11.5gb

D:\Other Software

41211 Files, 1855 Folders, 5.22gb

D:\Programming Software

16920 Files, 1751 Folders, 694mb

Ahh...crazy crazy filing habits. I actually have quite a detailed folder hierarchy, which explains their count. :thumbup

Kiki Burgh, I may go this way.

Interesting download page (@ RyanVM). I should have paid more attention when everyone was talking cab files. Could it be as simple as downloading addon packs from here and placing the cab in HFCAB and the inf in HFSVCPACK?

hi Squeeto!

you will see tons of addons there! :)

& what's great is it is supported by HFSLIP via HFAAO ... as already mentioned by Super-Magician ;)

hi Crash&Burn!

2xplorer (or xplorer2 lite) is just as good ... in fact that is what i use as my default program/file mgr instead of windows explorer ...

see if you'd like it too :)

here are the links:

http://netez.com/2xExplorer/

http://zabkat.com/

Edited by Kiki Burgh

@Squeeto...

If you want the Windows files, you can just put them in the relevant HFEXPERT subfolder. It will work in most cases.

This program saves names of all files in your hard drives to file database.
This is the part I don't like. One of the first things I do after installing an OS is disabling the Indexing Service on all partitions. It's not so much the claimed speed increase that makes me do it, but rather that I don't want the OS to think for me or do things in the background too much. Likewise, I don't allow XP to auto-defrag my hard drives (I actually do that registry edit even though I'm installing Diskeeper -- you can never be too sure, hehe).