Found the perfect quiet cooling fans

Zxian

Just thought I'd share the information for anyone else interested - Nexus fans are simply awesome.

I just picked up one of these for my desktop, since I had discovered that the 120mm exhaust fan was the loudest part of my setup. I popped it in and all of a sudden things are much quieter. It's now my CPU fan that's the loudest... so I take the 80mm SilenX fan that I got for free from a friend and put it over my heatsink in place of the stock 92mm Zalman fan (with speed reducing resistor).

Almost complete silence.

The only things that I can actually hear now are my hard drives. I'm running Prime95 as we speak, and there's absolutely NO change in CPU or system temps from before (40C idle, 46C load). For a silent Athlon XP 2000+ TbredA system, I think that's pretty killer.

As for the airflow, you can never really judge by the numbers that they give on the box, but the "hand-test" tells me that the new Nexus fan is just as good as the old, loud Antec fan.

I'm definately sticking with Nexus fans from now on. Dead quiet and yet still move a decent amount of air. :thumbup

My only problem with the SilenX fans is that they advertise rediculous specifications. I can tell you that the SilenX fan you linked to does NOT have a 42CFM flow rate.

Also, they did a lot of spamming around the Silent PC Review Forums, falsely advertising their products and generally "beefing up" their stories. :}

My only problem with the SilenX fans is that they advertise rediculous specifications. I can tell you that the SilenX fan you linked to does NOT have a 42CFM flow rate.

Also, they did a lot of spamming around the Silent PC Review Forums, falsely advertising their products and generally "beefing up" their stories. :}

hmmm how can i find out what it actually is... because i promise u the inside of my case is amazingly cool!!!

Yeah, the hard drives I've got are now the noisiest part of my computer.

I just picked up two 80GB drives for a RAID1 backup array, and things are starting to get kinda packed. I've got access to my department's machine shop, so I'm gonna make myself an aluminum mounting bracket for my hard drives where they'll be suspended by rubber bands. :D

That's 4 hard drives I've got now... :P