List of App to work on Win98SE

I need some tips on what were good apps in previous versions of windows

that wasn't so good in later versions.

For instance I'm using win95 clipbook instead win98SE/ME

All 9x versions have a fake Write.exe that instead uses wordpad. The original can be taken from Win 3.10/3.11/WFW. Ditto for Card.

cjl

I need some tips on what were good apps in previous versions of windows

that wasn't so good in later versions.

For instance I'm using win95 clipbook instead win98SE/ME

All 9x versions have a fake Write.exe that instead uses wordpad. The original can be taken from Win 3.10/3.11/WFW. Ditto for Card.

cjl

Ditto for the Microsoft Paint program. All 9xME versions have the pbrush.exe file that launches the mspaint.exe file which runs Microsoft Paint.

• 2 months later...

how about using Cdplayer.exe to play music CDs. Sometimes I hate to use Media Player 7.1 or 9.0 to play audio CDs from there, especially under WinME. The WinME version of cdplayer.exe launches whatever version of WMP installed (from 7.0 to 9.0). I replaced the WinME version of cdplayer.exe with the Win98se version so now I can use cdplayer.exe to play audio CDs instead of WMP 7.x/9.x under ME.

mplayer.exe.

Never needed more to play EVERY video and sounds. At leat for fast preview....

You'll give us some tips as to how to play Quicktime movies (.mov), Real Media videos (.rm, .rmvb), Flash videos (.flv), OggVorbis audio (.ogg), etc... with that.

MPLAYER.EXE for video? No. But for CD-Audio, YES! It has a very special progress indicator. See image below.

FlexiCD from Win95 power toys pack works too.

BTW, do you know any method to make MPLAYER.EXE start with CD Audio mode already selected? Some command line switch maybe?

post-85098-1155635514_thumb.png

Edited by Marius '95

Do you know that Win95 has a HTTP+FTP server? Personal Web Server v2.0 beta. :lol: It it better than Win98 PWS because it includes a FTP server and you can share dirs directly from windows shell (old share dir menu is changed to include FTP and HTTP server options for the shared dir).

It works in Win98 too, except for the remote administration interface. It detects that file and printer sharing is installed even when it's not. I couldn't make it work. (Some help, please!)

To install it you need these files:

ADMIN.HTM, ADV.HTR, ADV0.GIF, ADV1.GIF, ADVADDD.HTR, ADVADDDU.HTR, ADVADDG.HTR, ADVADDGU.HTR, ADVDED.HTR, ADVDEG.HTR, ADVDENY.HTR, ADVDENY2.HTR, ADVEDD.HTR, ADVEDDU.HTR, ADVEDG.HTR, ADVEDGU.HTR, ADVGRANT.HTR, ADVU.HTR, BDIR.HTR, BDIRU.HTR, BOLT.GIF, CF.GIF, CONN.HTR, COUNTER.DLL, DEFAULT.HTM, DENY.GIF, DIR.HTR, DIR0.GIF, DIR1.GIF, DIRADD.HTR, DIRADDU.HTR, DIRDEL.HTR, DIREDT.HTR, DIREDTU.HTR, DIRU.HTR, DIRV.HTR, DISC.HTR, DISCA.HTR, F.GIF, FD.GIF, FTP.GIF, FTP.MIB, FTPMIB.DLL, FTPSAPI2.DLL, FTPSERV.HTM, FTPSVC2.DLL, G.GIF, GETSTART.HTM, GOPHER.GIF, GRANT.GIF, GROUPS0.GIF, GROUPS1.GIF, GRPCOMP.GIF, HAND.GIF, HD.GIF, HOUSE_T.GIF, HTMLA.INF, HTMLA.HTR, HTMLA.HTM, HTMLA.DLL, HTMLA2.INF, HTTP.MIB, HTTPMIB.DLL, HTTPODBC.DLL, IIS2_T.GIF, IIS_T.GIF, INETSRV.MIB, INETSW95.EXE, INFOADMN.DLL, INFOCOMM.DLL, LIN.GIF, LOG.HTR, LOG0.GIF, LOG1.GIF, LOGU.HTR, MSG.HTR, MSG0.GIF, MSG1.GIF, MSGU.HTR, MSWEBAB.DLL, MSWEBAPI.DLL, MSWEBCPL.CPL, MSWEBCPL.HLP, MSWEBNDI.DLL, MSWEBSP.VXD, MSWEBSVR.INF, ND.GIF, OF.GIF, OK.GIF, POWRBYBO.GIF, SERV.HTR, SERV0.GIF, SERV1.GIF, SERVU.HTR, SNGCOMP.GIF, SPEC1.GIF, SPEC2.GIF, SVCTRL.EXE, USERS0.GIF, USERS1.GIF, USRGRP0.GIF, USRGRP1.GIF, W3SVAPI.DLL, W3SVC.DLL, WEBSERV.HTM, WORLD_T.GIF, WSADMIN.DLL, WWW.GIF, ~FTPSVC~.CKM .

Extract them from Win95 CABs to a new folder. To install them, first you need to copy one of the DLL files to Windows\System dir, but I forgot wich one. I think it's MSWEBNDI.DLL, but I'm not sure. Just copy this one and try the folowing step. If it doesn't work (error message: "hardware not found" or something like that), delete it and try with another DLL.

Go to the Network Neighborhood->Properties (or Control Panel -> Network) and press Add -> Add Service -> Have disk -> select the dir where you extracted the files and PWS will appear in the list of services. Add it, restart and START TWEAKING!

Most options are in HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/InetInfo, MsFtpSvc and W3Svc. PHP v4 can be added!