english-quotes

well im writing an essay and i am just p***ed off at the english language again, i just think its one of the worst out their.

now take a quote for example.

i asked, "is amd better than intel?"

i asked, "is amd better than intel?".

now the 1st one is right and the second is wrong but i think that the second should be right. now that would just be b/c im a programmer and i can actually think, unlike whoever made up the english language. now in java when ide compile it if this was somehow a program, i would get an error about the 1st sentance not having a closing brace. now lets also set "amd is better than intel?" equal to X.

i asked, X

i asked, X.

somehow the 1st is right and the second is wrong. now this just again doesnt make any sense to me. why do we have this stupid rule to put the puncuation inside the quote? and the sentance i made up is a statement i am saying about how i asked someone a question although it doesnt end in a period which a statement is suppose to. well i guess that i was just really board and didnt feel like writing my paper...

the english language is great when you have a language arts teacher that just doesn't care :P. She gave me 45/50 on an assignment that i didn't hand in :thumbup

well im half italian and im on my 3rd year of italian in school. the italian language just makes so much more sense, they actually structure sentances in a logical way.

Well... it sorta does end in a period. The question mark inside the quotes takes care of the end-of-sentence period, so the second one is redundant. Kinda like this...

int main(void)
{
int x=0;

{
return 0;
}
return 0;
}

The second return statement will NEVER be executed. It's something that you'd never write in code, so why would you in english? (I know you'd never write something like what I just did - it's just an example. ;))

but its the fact that " " should be treated as a variable itself such as X.

X is just part of the function that is being inputed in, but the outside function is still being ran all the way through and onto the next function. X should have the option to skip to the end of the function, the function should terminate itself.

i asked, "is amd is better than intel?"

I'll take your word on this being correct even though I would have thought the same as you.

whoever made up the english language.

I read somewhere a long time ago that there are very few 'English' words and three that were quoted were dog, hut and club. I don't know if this is correct or not. I think I might have read it in one of Richard Lederer's books. Very fun reads they are.

If you were to take great writers who have written in English and had them suddenly moved to another language, do you think they would have written great things? There are great witers all over the world but the things they have written don't neccesarily translate well and is it that their minds were in the right environment to produce the works they did?

English evolved just like any other language. It just happened to do it it's own way. I like it.

But then again, I always liked a Charlie Brown Christmas tree more than a picture perfect fir.

DL

i asked, "is amd is better than intel?"

He is asking a question.

So

"is amd better than intel?" is correct

"amd is better than intel?" is stating a fact so no question mark needed therefor this is not a question.

I totally agree Ripken!

i asked, "is amd better than intel?"

i asked, "is amd better than intel?".

As the first one is correct, in my opinion, its leaving the quotation outside the sentence, as the ? finishes the sentence.

English language is messed up, you go to one part of the UK, for example, and they say words like, book, look, cook, totally different to other parts.

I don't know how to describe it, but the way it sounds is like this:

Some places: buk

Other places: book

if that makes ANY sense, LOL

• 2 weeks later...

You want accents, try america or germany....

i asked, "is amd better than intel?" - is correct

i asked, "is amd better than intel?". - is correct

Long Live The Queens English! (It's the only thing we got left.).?..

Edited by gadget