[release] Windows Server 2003 - XP Conversion Pack

thanks for the program. it is interesting and give me another option to play with. it would be nice if it could be stripstreamed.

It can ;)

@Windows X , that just isn't true, 2k3, when nlited with the exact same settings as xp, uses close to 10MB more resouces.

so what you are saying, is ntoskrnl.exe is all that speeds things up? if so why not just use 2k3 ntoskrnl.exe and hack it for xp, then xp is would use less resources that 2k3, and be just as fast.

but anyway, I do agree, there is something in 2k3, that does work better with server programs. But in the end arn't you changing it right back to xp, by changing the settings? cept for a few altered files?

anyway, I hope to see what microwinX can do for 2k3, since if there really is an improvement, someones is gonna wanna use it, personally ill keep my licence for xp home oem.

10MB will make PC slower? I wonder if people who believe Vista will be faster even it sucked up 300MB than XP is fool. Not the point at all. It might uses little more resources like 10MB for extra services that Windows Server 2003 provided. However, despite the new kernel core which makes everything much faster than Windows XP. I think it's useless to make you agree on this. Only way to know is trying it and see it for yourself. Almost everyone who tried with my tool never regret with it.

Thanks for the program. it is interesting and give me another option to play with.

Already running 2K3SP1 Web Edition on my laptop and forget about all these annoying useless XP Features (Movie Maker, System Restore, Security Center, and a lot more) only tailored for newbies.

[EDIT]

2K3 Web Edition is only available as Corporate licence and don't know exactly what will happen if i apply your conversion pack on running install?

[/EDIT]

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

I am a big fan of 2K3. I does indeed run MUCH better than XP (load of turd, is XP). It runs much faster than XP + 2K put together on my Athlon XP machine. I have not noticed it using any more ram than XP (after bootup, it uses around 65mb), but I don't mind how much it uses, because Iam not short on RA (1gb) and it manages it much better than XP. So the memory is always optimised for the applications i am useing. (yes, I know XP and every other OS out there does this too, but 2K3 handles it all perfectly. 100000+ times better than XP.)

Sure it comes bundled with all the XP crap + more (server stuff), but thats why nLite was invented!. I have a very usale 2K3 ISO at 65mb, and it runs beautifully.

This is an excellent tool, and I intend to give it a go!

HougTimo

Thanks for the program. it is interesting and give me another option to play with.

Already running 2K3SP1 Web Edition on my laptop and forget about all these annoying useless XP Features (Movie Maker, System Restore, Security Center, and a lot more) only tailored for newbies.

[EDIT]

2K3 Web Edition is only available as Corporate licence and don't know exactly what will happen if i apply your conversion pack on running install?

[/EDIT]

I found Retail ones somewhere.

WINDOWSX

How do I slipstream this? And can I still se NLITE to strip the unneted parts?

There's option like this in program.

I get an error since i installed it:

---------------------------

rundll32.exe - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

OK

The only thing about using 2k3 as a workstation is that certain programs like firewall/antivirus/defrag all require that you download server editions instead of personal editions, not that it bothers me in the slightest as i dont use firewall/av and i already use O&O Server Defrag anyway.

dont you mean Buy??

Great app... I finally have an extremely stable XP-64-style system. newwink.gif

eh, might be my stupidity but isn't XP64 exactly identcal to 2k3-basic-server, exept that it doesn't install ms-server components, and by default enables sysrestore and theme-/media- services.

so in a way you (in my opinion just did do mutch work to get a result - what you could have gotting buy just installing xp64 wich by the way doesn't recuire illigal downloads, (like most you you guys use for these kind of projects).

so my kind of question would be:

who of you guys using this, actualy have?

> a valid 2k3 licence

> MS SA (software assurance)

> MS BETA access

Edited by -I-

I do. Actually I don't have MS SA but I do have a valid 2003 license, MS beta access and MSDN access. Plus I have the latest TechNet set. I have used and tried the XP conversion pack but for my personal sytem I went back to XP (Which I have a valid VLM for). You would be suprised at how many of us have legit software yet still hack the crap outta them like this...

Edited by kelsenellenelvian

This sounds pretty cool. Is everything just as compatibible?

Why doesn't Microsoft just provide a patch you can download to update Windows XP to the newest NT 5.2 kernel? So that way, both the most current 32-bit workstation and server versions of their OS would use the most up to date kernel?

I mean Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 2000 Server both use the same kernel?

This sounds pretty cool. Is everything just as compatibible?

Why doesn't Microsoft just provide a patch you can download to update Windows XP to the newest NT 5.2 kernel? So that way, both the most current 32-bit workstation and server versions of their OS would use the most up to date kernel?

I mean Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 2000 Server both use the same kernel?

I believe this would be M$ unofficial statement:

I NEED $$$