• Outpost
    • Sygate
    • Windows Default
    • ZoneAlarm
    • Winpooch
    • Other - ?
    • None!

• 2 weeks later...

I use an old version of Kerio (I do not think it exists as a personal free firewall anymore) in addition to the hardware firewall that comes with my router. I like to be able to control application behaviour. Kerio has a smaller footprint than the other software firewalls I have tried - Norton, McAfee, ZoneAlarm and Sygate, and is stable. I t only crashes if I try to open the GUI while running Azureus... ;)

I read about Winpooch earlier in this thread, though. It seems like it might do the work just as well - I shall give it a try, and compare the two. :)

right now i'm using windows firewall but the best is winpooch if it is configured.

In two days i will reinstall windows xp with no firewall, no anti-virus and no anti-spyware. I will install them maybe a month later just to scan and see if my nLited system is immune to that kind of stuph.

This is because I removed IE, explorer.exe, some services, command line utilities and lots more. I'm will be using Opera as web browser, blackbox as shell and xplorer2lite as file manager. I think I will not need any Firewall/Anti-virus/anti-spyware.

My install is the same except I do use explorer.exe. I've tried several shells but have always come back to explorer since I'm old fashioned and just used to it. I don't like having to get used to navigating my PC as soon as Windows loads up.

My install is the same except I do use explorer.exe. I've tried several shells but have always come back to explorer since I'm old fashioned and just used to it.

you had any spyware/adware/virus/etc with that instalation???

and you use updates????

I want to have a system with no firewall/AV/anti-spyware because I only got 192ram and 500Mhz processor

and

I don't like having to get used to navigating my PC as soon as Windows loads up.

I don't understand this sentence... bad english

Edited by _sergio_

Malware/viruses, never.

Updates = RyanVM's Update Pack and AutoPatcher or Jcarle's WUD.

What I meant was, I don't like using other shells because I don't like having to get used to navigation of my PC all over again, when I can just use explorer.exe like I've been using for the past 12 years and know where to go.

Edited by Jeremy

I've just moved to the security-less suite. No firewall, no AV. I've been running this way for a week now without problems. Outpost started giving me problems when I tried to connect to my university servers, so I went to nothing.

Now I understand. And it was MY bad english :blushing:

I can't use RyanVM update pack because there is no portuguese version but i will try to extract some portuguese hotfixes and replace the files on my UACD for the ones in the hotfixes.

And thanks for the info Zxian. Tomorrow I will install it too. Just some final adjustments to reg files and applications. But there is one thing I don't understand: if Remote Registry, Telnet, and more things in XP are bad for security then why are they released? Didn't use Vista and I can't but are these services in Vista?

I've just moved to the security-less suite. No firewall, no AV. I've been running this way for a week now without problems.

I do the same on one of my machines, but it's one that I don't store data on, don't use for banking, etc. People who know what they're doing can get away with it, but as a mod I'm not sure you should be suggesting this is a good idea, without saying why. People new here might follow by example, and get in trouble.