HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

Kiki--

Yes; that's the reason behind it.

S3pHiroTh--

In that case, I can only suggest not to use the prep tool. I'll write up a warning message in that thread.

By the way... Do you still have the problem if you use merging option D, E or F with HFSLIP after using the prep tool?

S3pHiroTh--

In that case, I can only suggest not to use the prep tool. I'll write up a warning message in that thread.

By the way... Do you still have the problem if you use merging option D, E or F with HFSLIP after using the prep tool?

I don't know... if you want I'll do the tests, because, now, I have deleted the previous SOURCE directory (made by prep tool) because for me isn't useful, driver.cab is always recompressed. I'll do that test after I have solved (or discovered) why, if I run Windows Update, shows me 2 hotfix KB890830.

For those people having the DRIVER.CAB problems...

Here's a special version I'd like you to try out. It isn't supposed to shed more light on the situation; it's actually attempting to work around the problem. It force-copies new driver binaries instead of only copying those which are newer.

See that you don't get "0 files copied" while new driver binaries are processed (using merging option A, B or C). You should only get several occurances of "1 files copied", along with the names of the files.

It worked perfectly :). Just a question, what do you recommend now? To continue with this source or that in my case I do not use the prep tool and start over? Would there be any problems?

Edited by Neo2x

I don't know if RunOnceEx problems were fixed because I never had them, but I can confirm the Quick Launch problem was fixed. The other issues, however, still remain:

* broken icons in Control Panel > User Accounts

* broken thumbnail view in folders

It looks like the non-public hotfix didn't make it into the new shell32 update...

For example:

Actually, it's still not perfect. I still need to use the original iesetup.dll (IE6) in the early stages of Windows setup so you won't see an error. The new version of iesetup.dll is copied at T-13.
IE7's iernonce.dll breaks RunOnceEx? I'd doubt that because Windows Update would've complained in that case. All the hotfix INF files are installed through RunOnceEx...

Can the IE6 version be renamed or should its name remain the same?

Oops maybe I got it wrong then and no changes at all were made to HFSLIP due to RunOnceEx and IE7!

Not that I can remember. IE7 slipstreaming was simply dropped since HFSLIP 1.2.0 (December 7) because of all the problems. With that release and those that came afterwards, the IE7 executable is copied into the source and installed at T-13 or at GUIRunOnce (depending on what the user specifies in HFANSWER.INI), and the latest final adds support for IE7 hotfixes by slipstreaming them into the IE7 executable.

When slipstreaming IE7 into the Windows source, the missing entry in iesetup.dll is still causing an error message to pop up during Windows setup, yes; I noticed that too yesterday during the test (I made a new version of HFSLIP based on the current final that slipstreams IE7 again).

I will continue testing but I don't intend to unleash an HFSLIP version that slipstreams IE7 until at least the thumbnail issue can be fixed.

Has Media Center support been dropped now?
Sorry; I keep forgetting to reply to this.

It has been dropped a while ago as you noticed. I'll work on it some more but the first versions will only install the MCE hotfixes at T-13 or at GUIRunOnce.

@Yzöwl

It looks like it's possible after all. Looking at setuperr.log, I noticed 5 IE7 files (and later another one) had caused problems. I decided to use the same technique on them as on iesetup.dll and that seems to fix every problem I experienced, ie: thumbnails and User Accounts graphics.

Enjoy this release :)

Edited by Tomcat76