free firewalls?

unless u pay 4 it, dont expect to be able to get a quality firewall.  The best kinda firewall to get is a hardware firewall, if ur client wants to pay the dosh

:rolleyes: Pay !?

**Visentinel hits the webopedia...

I still dont Understand the meaning of that Word .. :)

OH PAY .. yeh as in Pay for the Internet and get Stuff... I getya :D

I think the only problem with ZoneAlarm Pro (the normal version is a little crappy, it doesn't have much functions, but when it's free, hehe, it's not as good as when you pay :rolleyes: ) is that it takes a really long time to load at startup with windows and is not fully compatible with windows XP (sometimes there are bugs, like bad performances, or even crashes, but it doesn't happen often). But ZoneAlarm Pro has been tested many times by lots of magazines, websites, and so on. And it appears to be the best to block outside intrusions and hackers.

For example mine, who is installed on my computer, has blocked since install 56847 intrusions :)

So it can't be bad :D

I really would suggest you to take the free version if you don't want to pay, the other free firewalls are not as efficient as ZoneAlarm. Really.

Free vs. Pay depends on how much security your client needs. If the PC is to be connected to the internet and intrusions are expected then tell the client to spend the money to protect the system. He will be grateful in the end that you advised him to do the right thing. On the other hand, if his system is exploited and his system and/or data is corrupted and/or stolen he will chastise you for not advising him to spend the few bucks for a software or hardware firewall. Would the client recommend you to prospective clients in the later?

well the client is a actually a person that i donated a pc to and it's a 233 w/ 32mb and they got dsl this week and i just wanted something small and free to at least put on there for some knid of protection. i will probably go w/ the kerio or sygate firewall. thanks all for the suggestions.

Zone alarm is a resource hog, and can block ports even when its TURNED OFF!

XP firewall is a pathetic excuse for a proper firewall solution for home use.

Blackice doesent block Outbound traffic, so your machine could be infected with a bot or keylogger of some sort and you would never know, same goes for winXP "firewall"

KERIO is the best firewall i have ever used, its free for home use and has excellent networking features.

http://www.kerio.com

Give it a shot, most of the staff at MSFN using software solutions use it, its a great application.

if u can afford it, i saw a decent D-link router/firewall at bestbuy the other day.. for a measly ~$45. if you have extremely sensitive data carried on your PC, i would even suggest putting aside a seperate computer and hooking it up as the main computer on the router network and you accessing the net from behind that computer. The reason is well in short terms, the router acts as a dhcp server(a common standard in isp's which assign an ip to clients from a "random" pool) which gives you an "internal" ip which is NOT accessible from the outside (the net in this case) which makes it so if people want to gain access to your machine they would need to go thru the first machine (firewall, main box connected to the router) and bounce to yours which isn't as easy as it sounds these days.

Anyway i don't mean to go on for a long time.. if you just want a simple free firewall and the information stored is not that important, i would suggest sygate personal firewall. (www.sygate.com)

bw