Why is EVERY SINGLE software firewall a load of crap?

iCEhOT

dose anybudy els know how to export gp's?
Last time i checked this topic was called "Why is EVERY SINGLE software firewall a load of crap?"!

lets stay on topic people!

Edited by wolf74481

If you're behind a router that uses NAT, you don't even need a firewall to block incoming connections since the router performs that purpose. The only use I can see for a software firewall is to monitor any suspicious outgoing connections, which aren't going to occur if you're free of malware anyway.

If you're behind a router that uses NAT, you don't even need a firewall to block incoming connections since the router performs that purpose. The only use I can see for a software firewall is to monitor any suspicious outgoing connections, which aren't going to occur if you're free of malware anyway.

You see that's one heck of a qualification. Considering how many clients, friends, and family are getting laptops with built in WiFi, I really consider it essential that I find a good solution. I recently read an article in PC Magazine that was a general commentary on the state of security with a primary focus on home computers and users. One of the guy's biggest complaints was that software based firewalls don't come with nearly enough applications predefined in it's database. For the more knowledgeable user this isn't too big of a deal, but most of the computers I set up are going to be used by people who don't know a whole lot about this stuff. And realistically speaking, they should have to know a lot about it either. I've been driving a car now for almost 20 years and I don't feel it necessary for me to know how to replace the transmission or perform a tune up.

In the end I've grown to be far less concerned with just how secure a firewall actually is and far more concerned with it's ability to run silent and never ask the user any confusing questions. You could have the most rock solid, proven secure firewall ever devised and it wouldn't be worth crap if it needs to be disabled all the time or if the end user continually clicks on "Allow" every time something pops up because they honestly don't know what else to do. This pretty much describes my experiences with Symantec's Desktop Firewall (the corporate product). From what I could tell, it's pretty secure and has some solid technology behind it. It does have some serious bugs and shortcomings, but overall it's rather tight. The problem is that no matter what I do, I cannot preconfigure the thing to reliably allow safe traffic. I've never had it allow unsafe traffic unless the user allowed it themselves, but I always have had problems with it blocking legit traffic. The final deal breaker was Gmail. You simply need to completely disable the firewall for Gmail to function properly. Well this isn't very secure is it? So I finally decided that took far more effort than it was worth and tossed the whole bloody thing out. Symantec has gotten about $18,000 from me over the last five years. Now they've managed to throw away a good $3,000 per year in subscriptions with me.

I like BlackICE. I used to use this firewall some time ago.

Now, no firewall for me, or I´ll use Windows built´in.

BlackICE PC Protection 3.6.cpa: http://www.iss.net

I would not trust BlackICE after reading about how it fakes some protection according to GRC.

http://grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

I'm using Winpooch, which is free and opensource, and I am very pleased with its performance. I like how it tells me what port and ip the application is trying to connect to. Seems to catch everything too.

You can't trust any of em unless you make it yourself :D

I don't not trust free firewalls but I prefer to use a paid subscription one like Norton and when the subscription nearly runs out uninstall it and reinstall it again..resets the expiry date and get another year free. If they found out they would probably try and get me done? :unsure:

I'll give that winpooch a try on my old PC that has just Norton antivirus 2004 on it at the moment.