does sound card matters when recording audio from tape?

lansing

currently my sound card is the one that comes with the machine.

when i record audio from video tape, the playback has a relatively heavy hiss noise.

do i need to get a better sound card? or were there some settings that i missed?

A new sound card always helps. But it can also be the program that you're using. Download a free/trial program and see if you get the same results. SoundForge from sony is a good program.

A new sound card always helps. But it can also be the program that you're using. Download a free/trial program and see if you get the same results. SoundForge from sony is a good program.

Sound card does matter, but not so much.

The best software I suggest is Adobe Audtion 1.5/2.01. It clears the hiss completely, I have tried it and created MP3 from my old tapes. Sony Sound forge is not so good and requires .net framework.

Pawan

nfh3ew.jpg

Edited by pawan

I know this might sound silly, but are you recording from the line-in or from the microphone jack?

The mic jack is extremely sensitive and will pick up oodles of grounding noise if the sensitivity is set too high.

If you are coming in the line-in, it should sound as it does on the TV. Remember that video tapes are analog, and will have a little noise to them, just nature of the medium.

is there any sound card that have auto filter for hiss noise upon recording?

coz i personally believe that if i reduce the hiss after the recoridng, it will lose more signals from the original.

when i record audio from video tape, the playback has a relatively heavy hiss noise.

do i need to get a better sound card? or were there some settings that i missed?

If you want *decent* sounding recording, using onboard audio isnt going to cut it. They arent meant to sound good; just work. You dont need a professional quality card or anything, but even a $40-$50 sound blaster or other type addin card should make a huge difference in the amount of audible static. It also depends on the quality of the source to. Since youre trying to record from video tape, I suggest using a 4+ head hifi VCR. Was the source tape recorded in a cheap VCR (sound quality goes down fast when transferring music using consumer grade analog equipment), or was it a retail copy of a movie or something (the better choice of the two)?

If you want *decent* sounding recording, using onboard audio isnt going to cut it. They arent meant to sound good; just work. You dont need a professional quality card or anything, but even a $40-$50 sound blaster or other type addin card should make a huge difference in the amount of audible static. It also depends on the quality of the source to. Since youre trying to record from video tape, I suggest using a 4+ head hifi VCR. Was the source tape recorded in a cheap VCR (sound quality goes down fast when transferring music using consumer grade analog equipment), or was it a retail copy of a movie or something (the better choice of the two)?

i had tried out my fd's sound card for recording, and the audio turned out lousier than my onboard one, and so i found out later that the card was made in 1999... :}

i have no clue what kind of sound card i need for a good quality for recording, can someone give me some suggestions? my price range is from 20 to 50.

You can just pick up a creative labs audigy from new egg. If you want to stay in your price range get the creative labs sound blaster live! 24-bit . It's around $30 and it's pretty good.

This is the Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit retail

This is the Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit oem

This is the Audigy 2 Value OEM

This is the Audigy 1 OEM

Keep in mind thought that it's oem so you wont be getting any extra goodies like cables. Also, the audigy 2 is named value because it doesn't have the firewire ports at the back but it's still generally the same as the regular audigy 2. BTW, it's $49.99 for the audigy 2 and $55.00 for the audigy 1 so you'd go a little over on these two.

Edited by m3n70r

You can just pick up a creative labs audigy from new egg. If you want to stay in your price range get the creative labs sound blaster live! 24-bit . It's around $30 and it's pretty good.

This is the Audigy 1 OEM

Keep in mind thought that it's oem so you wont be getting any extra goodies like cables. Also, the audigy 2 is named value because it doesn't have the firewire ports at the back but it's still generally the same as the regular audigy 2. BTW, it's $49.99 for the audigy 2 and $55.00 for the audigy 1 so you'd go a little over on these two.

which one of them is also good for karoake?

I don't think it has anything to do with your sound card. Videotape meaning, a camcorder? If so, you could just capture the DV via FireWire and then extract the audio as WAV and convert it to MP3. I have a 3 year old Sound Blaster Live 5.1 and it has never given me problems. I wouldn't spend money on a new sound card unless it has been confirmed 100% that your current sound is causing the problem.

This is the Audigy 1 OEM

lol. You serious? I'd have to wager the audigy series. Either one will work.

This is the Audigy 1 OEM

lol. You serious? I'd have to wager the audigy series. Either one will work.

thanks for the advices, i have ordered the audigy 2 last night.