98 no longer supported

On a 98SE no longer supported mode, has anyone noticed what Apple is doing with Quicktime? They're encouraging webmasters to encode in formats that Quicktime 6.5.2 can't use (since Apple won't update it to allow it.)

And, even on video's that will play fine on 6.5.2, the player will stop playing the video (which had been playing fine, and proceed to go to the playing site's video page where you can click a link that tells you to install XP if you want to play these video's. (A system requirements page.)

So they'll play fine but Apple doesn't want to let the 6.5.2 player do it!

Last time it happened, I was at a site that offered WMP as a choice so I just finished the video that way.

Jeez! I was halfway throught the video in the Quicktime browser embed when it stopped and hijacked me back to the page of the website's Quicktime video's. And when I just clicked the link again it opened the embed for a second then immediately hijacked me back. So, like I said I just watched it in WMP9.

But that's not possible on sites that are only Quicktime.

And has anyone noticed that 6.5.2 plays and sounds better than 7.0.4? The thing's still buggy.

Even Microsoft issued an codecs update with WMP 10 codecs for the 9 player. What's with Apple? I can see them making the new player only for XP, but why not let their most recent older version still play stuff? I'm not talking about that new format but all the stuff it's completely able of playing.

What the bleep?! You're saying that it will refuse to play even under Windows 2000? I would understand if the software's from Microsoft. Why would Apple force Windows 2000 users to upgrade to Windows XP?!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

:rolleyes: Sorry!

When I said XP I mean't 2000/XP. Whatever operating system's that Quicktime 7 is compatible with. This is bad for 9x users, who can only install Quicktime 6.5.2 and earlier.

I checked some info on Quicktime Alternative. Even their newest versions are only for the NT based operating systems. No 9x since they are based on Quicktime 7. You have to use the older Quicktime 6.5.2 based Quicktime Alternative on 9x systems.

And I also noticed there is a web plugin for Quicktime Alternative that enables the embedded web stuff to work. Of course, this just means they will work if the files are compatible with your version of Quicktime, just like the official Quicktime.

So there's no advantage for me to use the Alternative rather than the official Quicktime.

So far I haven't encountered this sort of thing with any of the other software I use. Inevitably, this stuff is going to happen though.

I do have 2 retail boxes of XP Home so if things get super annoying in the future I can always DOWNGRADE again to XP!

What XP-specific features are the newer QT versions using? New exported functions in DLLs?

Sometimes it's just a versioncheck, and you can force it to install by faking the version or unpacking the installer and doing it manually. Other users have reported success with this method in getting "2K/XP-only" games to run under 9x.

I don't use QT much at all anyway (staying with WMVs and AVIs), so I can't help specifically. But many of these "2K/XP-only" programs actually will run fine on 9x with a faked version or manual install.

Edited by LLXX

I don't use it a heck of a lot either, but do consider the older version for the older games and the latest version for the occasional website visit as essential in my setup of a computer. This is just so when I want to see something I don't need to endure installing a plugin. The links will just play.

That's the idea, anyway. Apple has just made this a bit tougher if I'm using 9x.

I have no idea whether there are XP necessary files in Quicktime 7, but since it's designed specifically for XP/2000 I assume there are some. Searching around I haven't come across anyone saying they've installed Quicktime 7 on 98SE, and I'm pretty sure that if it could have been done then the Quicktime Alternative folks would have made their latest versions 9x compatible, but they haven't.

If they can't do it, I'm fairly certain I can't.

I recently was using a very old computer so I didn't install Firefox since IE plays better with limited resources.

Actually, it just appears that Internet Explorer don't use much resources, because of the fact that it's integrated into the OS!

If you don't use Internet Explorer, it's recommended that you deintegrate Internet Explorer from Windows with 98 Lite (if using Windows 9x) or nLite (if using Windows XP or Windows 2000) and use K-Meleon.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Yes, I understand but IE does have its occasional uses. I've always read about these options but never took the plunge!

Also, I've just toured about (been watching Buffy lately so have a little Giles going I suppose) and I noticed that although the movie trailers on the Quicktime website won't play, most of the links on music sites and even those from the Apple site do. And, after having watched a few of these when I had Quicktime 7 on XP, and now with Quicktime 6.5.2, these things just play better on Quicktime 6.5.2.

Eh, I think I'll manage okay for now. If I like trailers that much I can just go to a theatre and see one movie and I'll get all the trailers I can stand.

Adding to the not compatible with 9x subject, how about those new Creative X-Fi soundcards? Judging by the Creative forums, many buyers are finding they're not compatible with anything! (He, he.)

Better not keep talking like that though or Creative will downgrade me again from "Trusted Contributer" to "Frequent Contributer." For some reason they recently upgraded me back to trusted. Well, I do try to help some folks there.

I have one old Star Trek Picard Chronicles encyclopeic type thing that only runs if Quicktime 2.0.8 (I think that's the one) is installed. Since that version changes the file associations too much I've taken to do without seeing Captain Picard's Borg experience. Saw it, been there. I'd rather not have to play so much with the file type settings to get them near where they belong. It moves JPEG out to a seperate type. And I need to apply a fix to restore thumbnails since 2.0.8 breaks them. I can do without that.
I have installed QT 2.1.2.59 *both* the 32-bit and the 16-bit versions, and old games [Myst, STNG etc] + old screen savers [After Dark Star Trek, After Dark Star Wars] seem to work ok in 98 SE.

Then you can also install newer QT 6.5.2 [i recommend QT alternative 1.55 which installs QT 6.5.2], has completely different files, just don't allow any newer versions to delete older ones during installation.

All available QT versions, including unofficial QT alternative [nag + bloat free]:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#MED

QT alt home:

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm#quicktimealt

To view JPEG/JPG files, I recommend using IrfanView, XNview or PhotoFiltre, all free(ware):

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#GRA

Hope this helps.

That's exactly what I do! Except for the 16 bit version. I don't have a game that uses it.

I install the 2.1.2.59 32bit Quicktime, adjust the control panel to "optimize by bitmap" and 22050 audio, reboot, then install Quicktime 6.5.2 on 9x or Quicktime 7.0.4 on XP. I tell Quicktime to not load the system tray icon and the use default file formats and MIME, and to use General Midi, reboot, done.

But, that Picard Dossier thing requires the older 32 bit Quicktime 2.0.8 (or .3, I forget). It's the one that comes on the Borg cd. I used to install it, as well as the other two, so the Picard Dossier would work (doesn't unless that version is installed), but now do not because I was tired of needing to do stuff like fixing the file association so that the newer Quicktime Picture Viewer is used instead of the 2.0.8, the newer player instead of 2.1.2.59, and fix the JPEG (all by itself instead of with the group it belongs in). As well as fixing the thumbnails.

It never gets back to exactly where it belongs. 2.1.2.59 does not do all this stuff, only the older version. And once the latest Quicktime is installed over 2.1.2.59 all is well, with the latest taking over the proper associations. But if 2.0.8 is there, it's still messed up. That older version does the same crap to XP as well. And then I have to manually type in where that shim thing is (see, I already forgot) that opens Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in the File Type Associations properties. It's just a pain in the neck.

Once you've seen that Picard thing a few times, it's really enough. I have much the same in the Star Trek Encyclopedia 3.0.

Also,

I actually enjoy some of the bloat the official versions come with. I turn off what I don't want. But sometimes I want to be presented with some nice links to see stuff. (Not the RealPlay huge page, I tell that to start with the player only.) The page Quicktime opens is interesting at times. I just wish all the stuff would work with 6.5.2 on 9x, but I suppose that's not happening. Apple has moved on.

On a 98SE no longer supported mode, has anyone noticed what Apple is doing with Quicktime? They're encouraging webmasters to encode in formats that Quicktime 6.5.2 can't use (since Apple won't update it to allow it.)
The latest QT installers don't work with Win98SE, the latest viable one seems to be QuickTime Alternative v.1.61.

• 5 months later...
That's right. The last one using the Quicktime 6.5.2 base. The newer ones use Quicktime 7 as a base, which is not 9x compatible.

That's my point.

The latest iPod software includes Quicktime 7. my brother likes to use his iPod a lot but can only connect to a usb 2.0 port or a firewire [iEEE 1394] port; it wont work when connected to a usb 1.0/1.1 port.