With latest HFSLIP, Setup keeps restarting

Super-Magician

It doesn't look like it's playlist related. I force-fed them into the right folders (after setup created the random subfolder names) but still nothing. A couple of MP10-related files which are present on the CD are not being copied over, though. It could be one of them.

Advise for now: use HFSVPK_SW... or ignore the "no-background-music-with-Post-Install-Wizard" problem... :)

I am supposed to put "MP10Setup.exe" into the HFSVPK_SW folder if I want to integrate it, but that default filename does not have 8:3 formatting (MP10Setup has nine characters). However, if you name it something else, HFSLIP won't pick up on it as it has a line "IF EXIST HFSVPK_SW\MP10Setup.exe". Is that like an exception?

In addition, when I tried running HFSLIP this way (with MP10Setup.exe in HFSVPK_SW), HFSLIP prompted me with a message asking whether I would like to overwrite SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK\MP10Setup.exe (when I started the script, there was no SOURCESS folder). I'm not sure why this happened, but I would have expected HFSLIP to be automated/unattended. Any ideas?

-- Super-Magician :)

Edited by Super-Magician

Just leave the MP10Setup.exe name alone. I don't remember if it's being renamed to 8:3 format by HFSLIP or not. The warning was probably just to scare us off, or a remnant from the days when an HFSLIPped install could be initiated from a floppy.

In addition, when I tried running HFSLIP this way (with MP10Setup.exe in HFSVPK_SW), HFSLIP prompted me with a message asking whether I would like to overwrite SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK\MP10Setup.exe (when I started the script, there was no SOURCESS folder). I'm not sure why this happened, but I would have expected HFSLIP to be automated/unattended. Any ideas?
This is new to me. I'll check it out.

BTW... You got a couple of DX9 cab files in HFCABS (four, I believe) which are ignored by HFSLIP. Please see my list of files.

Sounds to me like your are running on an XP box. What you noticed was one of the things I hate about XP. If you are doing serious multitasking and let's say you want to delete a folder using explorer. There are some occasions where you just can't delete it because it's being used by some process. So if you load up task manager and kill everything, you still can't delete it. But, if you reboot, it is no prob to delete the folder. I'm not sure what it is, but it appears to be a generic problem. 2K doesn't have problems like that.

Also, the 8.3 for the svcpack folders isn't mandatory, but having no spaces is.

Thanks, tommyp and Tomcat.

BTW... You got a couple of DX9 cab files in HFCABS (four, I believe) which are ignored by HFSLIP. Please see my list of files.
I'm not sure what you mean here. I only put in HFCABS the five new DX9 gaming binaries from the Dec 2005 SDK update.

I tried HFSLIP again, but it still asked me whether I would like to overwrite MP10Setup.exe. After HFSLIP finished, I checked SVCPACK.INF in I386\SVCPACK.IN_, and the line concerning WMP10 said:

MP10Setup.exe /Q:A /R:N

whereas it should have said:

"MP10Setup.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore"

like it is written in the SVCPACK section of HFSLIP.

Do you know what happened?

Edited by Super-Magician

I can confirm this. Running HFSLIP for WinXP SP2 on Windows 2000.

Edit: The text right above the question to overwrite MP10Setup.exe says this, but I can't find any instance of "copiedg" in HFSLIP:

3 File(s) copiedg current folder]

Edit #2: Ah, wait. Isn't that the last part of [Flushing current folder]?

Edited by Tomcat76

Provided that's the only thing that goes wrong...

Extract SVCPACK.INF onto your desktop.

Edit the MP10Setup.exe line.

Copy this text into Notepad, save it as something.cmd on your desktop and run it:

MAKECAB /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 SVCPACK.INF

Copy SVCPACK.IN_ into SOURCESS\I386 (overwriting the older one).

Give me a while to verify/fix things. HFSLIP isn't on the forefront on my things to do at the moment. In the meantime, can you let us know if by removing wmp10 all together if you hear the sounds on first load.

Ah, I know what it is. The line in HFSLIP at the end of the script file

ECHO "MP10Setup.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore" >> SVCPACK.INF

causes the script to actually echo back

"MP10Setup.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore" >> SVCPACK.INF

while the script is running and without putting that line into SVCPACK.INF. When a line much earlier in the script file (although processed after) tells HFSLIP to

XCOPY HFSVPK_SW SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK /Q

HFSLIP attempts to recopy that file. Even though HFSLIP says

FOR /F "USEBACKQ DELIMS==" %%I IN (`DIR /A-D /OGN /B HFSVPK_SW\*.exe`) DO (
IF NOT %%I=="MP10SETUP.EXE" IF EXIST HFSVPK_SW\%%I ECHO %%I %SW%>> SVCPACK.INF
)

FOR /F "USEBACKQ DELIMS==" %%I IN (`DIR /A-D /OGN /B HFSVPK\*.exe`) DO (
IF EXIST HFSVPK\%%I ECHO %%I>> SVCPACK.INF
)

FOR /F "USEBACKQ DELIMS==" %%I IN (`DIR /A-D /OGN /B HFSVPK\*.cmd`) DO (
IF EXIST HFSVPK\%%I ECHO %%I>> SVCPACK.INF
)

the line

still appears in SVCPACK.INF.

My question is this: What should I replace that line with? Should I use it exactly as it is written in that ECHO line ("MP10Setup.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore") or should I remove the outside quotes?

Edited by Super-Magician

Super-Magician, Were you working on hfslip the whole day? hehe. In your svcpack replace

with

MP10Setup.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore"

There's more to modding the script than what you are posting. Can I please troubleshoot before I release the new version dude? What's kind of important at the moment is your feedback on eliminating wmp10 to see if the initial log on sounds come back. Are the sounds that important?