With latest HFSLIP, Setup keeps restarting

Super-Magician

With my latest run of HFSLIP, in which I removed the extra space in the 898461 section of the script, Setup keeps restarting at a certain point. However, the last time I had a working installation, I did not include an unattended setup file, so I think maybe that's the problem. Anyhow, I've attached the ERROR_REPORT.txt file, along with my WINNT.SIF file so you can make sure there are no problems with it. As setup did not finish, it is impossible to attach WU.txt.

[Attachment removed]

In addition, the last time I successfully ran HFSLIP and installed it, I noticed that there was no background music during the Welcome to Windows section. There was sound, however. I am pretty sure that I read up on this somewhere else on this forum, and I tried using the search function--but I could not find it again.

-- Super-Magician

Edited by Super-Magician

In addition, the last time I successfully ran HFSLIP and installed it, I noticed that there was no background music during the Welcome to Windows section. There was sound, however.
WinXP SP1: there used to be a bug a while ago but it should be fixed now.

WinXP SP2: I noticed that too but I thought it was "normal". Should there be a background music there? I don't remember because it's been a while since I installed an unpatched WinXP SP2...

What does the "Componants" section of your winnt.sif file do? Have you tried hfslip without the "extras" first? Perhaps your best bet would be to test hfslip with only the HF folder first. Once that's done, then add to the other folders to isolate the issues.

Edited by tommyp

What does the "Componants" section of your winnt.sif file do?
I'm not sure, but I remember generating parts of this file using WINNT.SIF Creator, and Setup Manager for the rest. WINNT.SIF Creator does have a few bugs in it, though. For example, I just noticed that the section title is spelled incorrectly (it should be Components).

I believe this is what the entries in there do:

msmsgs - turns off Windows Messenger

msnexplr - disables the MSN Explorer icon (I use a newer version)

OEAccess - removes the Outlook Express icon

fax - something having to do with Windows Fax Services

hypertrm - HyperTerminal, I think?

Perhaps your best bet would be to test hfslip with only the HF folder first
I have tried HFSLIP (albeit an older version) without putting in my WINNT.SIF file, and it worked, so I think it's something wrong with that.
WinXP SP2: I noticed that too but I thought it was "normal". Should there be a background music there? I don't remember because it's been a while since I installed an unpatched WinXP SP2...
I installed an unpatched SP2 about a month ago, and I am pretty sure that there was indeed music.

-- Super-Magician :)

Update: The error I received during setup was some sort of Manifest Parse error.

Edited by Super-Magician

Does that come from a log file?
Yes, it does.

Also, when I referred you here, I was actually talking about this section of my post:

I installed an unpatched SP2 about a month ago, and I am pretty sure that there was indeed music.

Edited by Super-Magician

I retried a new HFSLIP today, and at T-13, I received an Advanced INF Install error:

Could not find C:\WINDOWS\HFSLIP\HFSLPxxx.INF

where "xxx" denotes a number between 200 and 263.

(This was without the WINNT.SIF file. Everything else worked perfectly.)

Edited by Super-Magician

I'm actually using a VM right now. Previously, when I used the WINNT.SIF file, I used a CD.

I will get to what you mentioned in post #3 right away with the HFSLIP_60202.CMD (although the fixes in the new version apparently don't apply to XP). Yes, I have checked my HF folder with Tomcat's list.

Edit: Has anyone figured out the missing music problem during Welcome to Windows??

Edited by Super-Magician

Edit: Has anyone figured out the missing music problem during Welcome to Windows??
It is most likely caused by the fact that the playlists are excluded when you let HFSLIP *slipstream* WMP10. If that's the case, you can get the background music back by placing MP10Setup.exe in the HFSVPK_SW folder instead. I wanted to test this myself but didn't get around to it yet.