Universal Extractor

nitro322

Will UniExtract add the extract to subdir context for .Gadget files?

What are .Gadget files? If it's something that requires Vista, then I won't be able to add support for it anytime soon. If it's something I can test out under XP, then I'll at least give it a shot.

I took a quick peek and look at this:
With ATL this is really a snap.

Now, go here : I don't know any compiler other than VS that handles ATL so we'll need something else. Or maybe someone can do compile it for you.

the atl is confined to 2 header files that just prototype the com exports - everything else is pure win32 (hmenus and all).

but i don't know how annoying it might be to export the com interfaces without that atl header :(

are you sure its only 2 header files?

All i can see is 2 ATL classes (dont see header definitions). This could mean over 20 headers, as knowing microsoft the classes in question refrence info from a load of other classes. which would mean reading through all the ATL just to rewrite the required info.

Will UniExtract add the extract to subdir context for .Gadget files?

What are .Gadget files? If it's something that requires Vista, then I won't be able to add support for it anytime soon. If it's something I can test out under XP, then I'll at least give it a shot.

Nope you dont need vista... .Gadget files are nothing but renamed .zip or .cab files that contain gadget files for the windows sidebar

More Info on how to get them on XP http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=485

I needed to perform some tests so I downloaded the Office XP update (KB920816) from here and tried to unpack it with UniExtract 1.5 beta.

Unpacking went fine, apparently - got 4 files in the destination folder, no errors from UniExtract. Then, I tried to unpack the resulting RICHED20.MSP. This time I got an AutoIt error (see screenshot). I'm using Win98SE. The log follows:

TrID/32 - File Identifier v2.02 - © 2003-06 By M.Pontello

Definitions found: 2359

Analyzing...

Collecting data from file: C:\Downloads\oxpp\RICHED20.msp

61.4% (.MST) Windows SDK Setup Transform Script (63019/2/6)

30.7% (.PPT) Microsoft PowerPoint document (31500/1/2)

7.8% (.) Generic OLE2 / Multistream Compound File (8000/1)

autoiterrormf8.th.png

Nope you dont need vista... .Gadget files are nothing but renamed .zip or .cab files that contain gadget files for the windows sidebar

More Info on how to get them on XP http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=485

If they're just renamed Zip files, then they should work just fine with version 1.5. TrID should detect the fact that it's a Zip file, regardless of the extension. I still wasn't able to test it, though, because I still couldn't find an example to work with. I tried downloading "Vista RTM Sidebar for Windows XP" from the link you provided, but it didn't include any actual .gadget files, nor could I find any other obvious link in that thread (of course, I don't know what I'm looking for). If you can give me a direct link to something, I'll test it out to be sure.

Then, I tried to unpack the resulting RICHED20.MSP. This time I got an AutoIt error (see screenshot). I'm using Win98SE.

I just tested this file under XP and it seems to work fine. I have not tested any cmdTotal functionality under Windows 9x, so that's likely the cause of the problem. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance and see what I can do, but as a reminder I don't officially support Windows 9x for the reasons listed here.

I still wasn't able to test it, though, because I still couldn't find an example to work with.

Is this what you're talking about? Check out the "download the code / gadget from OdeToCode" in the second paragraph of the article. I tested that file and it does indeed work fine.

I don't think the problem is in cmdTotal, because I just tested it standalone and it loaded the plug-in fine, it performed everything correctly, the destination folder was created but there was no file in that folder, so it actually didn't extract anything.

(Snippet from KaKeeware site: Requirements Windows 9x/2000/XP or newer)

cmdtotalix9.th.png

Maybe there's some other unpacker that wouldn't play nice. Is there any possibility to create a very detailed and verbose log during the (attempted) unpacking, so one could find the reason for such errors? I'm willing to perform some tests here, time allowing.

Edited by Drugwash

We can't wait. When its done ? :hello::rolleyes:

Yeah, I know it's been a long time coming. Believe me, I'm quite ready to be done with this version. As for the actual release date, I'm thinking it should be ready on Monday. Two reasons:

First, I'm still waiting for one language file. Getting the updated language files has been the main delay, but at this point I'm ready to just drop the missing language and then add it back later once I do finally get the updated version.

Second, I may be away from the computer for the next few days, so I want to hold off on the next release. The last time I rushed out a release before leaving town (Thanksgiving) proved to be a rather bad experience. I don't want to repeat that.

So, check back here next Monday.

I don't think the problem is in cmdTotal, because I just tested it standalone and it loaded the plug-in fine, it performed everything correctly, the destination folder was created but there was no file in that folder, so it actually didn't extract anything.

After playing around with it for a few minutes, I think this is yet another path-related issue, which has been the root cause of almost every problem found in Windows 9x so far. <rant>What a complete and total piece of crap.</rant>

I have not yet been able to duplicate your exact error, as extracting the MSP file works fine for me even under Windows 9x. However, I did come across some other weird problems which may or may not occur depending on how Universal Extract is used, how it was installed, which options were selected, whether Bill Gates is currently in a good mood, the alignment of the stars and planets, etc.; basically, a whole lot of dumb crap that makes no sense whatsoever.

I'll keep playing with it and see if I can get something workable, but I'm pretty close to losing my patience with it.

By the way, I also found out that the new "append missing file extensions" option doesn't work under Windows 9x. UniExtract just freezes up, and I have no idea why. I'm not in the mood to debug it, though, so I just disabled the function call if run from Windows 9x. This is an FYI, in case you're wondering why it's not doing anything different when enabled.