Universal Extractor

nitro322

Does anyone know assembly? I have a couple possible ideas that could greatly expand UniExtract's format support, but it requires modification of an assembly program (see my last post about IETOTALX). I've been playing around with the source code for a few hours trying to make sense of it, and while I can somewhat understand what's going on, I'm really at a loss when trying to make any changes. If you're interested in helping out, please PM me.

Thanks.

I know a little of assembly, I made some proggies with TASM (Borland Turbo Assembler). I looked at the sources o IETOTALX, but they're in MASM and use Perl to compile, things that I don't know about. As the author explain in the source code, he is hacking some APIs, so the code seems a real mess. However, I could give it a try, if you tell me what you want. I suppose that you, like anyone, would want the filenames of the extracted files. I'll check the code, you let me know if I could be useful.

Hi there

Well, I started to mess around with the ietotalx sources, trying to get rid of the hackings that were made.

You can download my new version of ietotalx, a total rebuild based on ietotalx from www.kakeware.com, but without any weird hacking.

Use: ietotal fullexepath

It will extract the files to a subdirectory with the name of the file

Example: ietotal D:\acdsee241.exe -> will extract files to directory "D:\acdsee241"

http://rapidshare.com/files/9400487/ietotal.zip.html (90 kb)

It has this issues:

- Doesn't work well with new inno setups. (I really don't care, because we can use the better innounp)

- All the files are duplicated, and that's a thing I can't figure out yet, tell me some ideas.

It seems that the plugin gives the same file outside the directory, and then as standalone

For example, it will extract $INSTDIR\winamp.exe, and winamp.exe.

- I didn't do much error checking, so expect lots of bugs.

- More bugs.

Test it a lot, tell what to modify, hope you like it!

Well, I started to mess around with the ietotalx sources, trying to get rid of the hackings that were made.

You can download my new version of ietotalx, a total rebuild based on ietotalx from www.kakeware.com, but without any weird hacking.

Dang, Perch. That's awesome! As you said in your last post, the main issue with with the output filenames. A second issue was that I wanted to switch over to the newer InstallerExplorer version, but I see you already did that as well. Very, very cool. I'll out it through some thorough testing and give you feedback. Would you prefer PMs, e-mail, or just posted here?

Some initial feedback after minor testing:

I see what you mean about duplicate files. It's not simply duplicating the files, though - in some cases, I have four copies of the same file or group of files, just in different locations. Very weird. I can't really think of any suggestions though. Ordinarily I'd ask to take a look at the code, but in this case that obviously wouldn't do much good. :(

I also have two feature requests. I know this is an extremely early version, but you did ask for feedback. :) Neither of these are showstoppers, but they'd make integration with UniExtract easier.

1. Provide option to simply list Installer Type and/or output instead of extracting the files (similar to 7z.exe's 'l' switch output). This would allow me to easily test if the installer is supported.

2. Provide option to specify target directory. I know this is much more of a pain to do, so don't bother if it looks like it'll take up too much time.

Thanks again!

Does anyone know where I can download or how I can generate some uuencode, xxencode, base64, binhex, and/or yenc encoded files? I had a request from a user to add support for these, and I found a good open source utility to do the job, but I need some samples to test before I can add it to UniExtract. I'm thinking this should be rather easy to do, but I don't really know where to start. Any pointers? Thanks.

Edited by nitro322

What an impressive job ! :thumbup

Unfortunately, I have an example where Universal Extractor fails : Acronis True Image 10.

No special problem with the installer itself : it just zipps many files including the .msi .

But what is strange is that once installed, the main program ([installDir] \ TrueImage.exe) is seen by PEID 0.94 as a MS C++ 7 [ZIP SFX] program.

And yes, if i rename the prog in .zip, I see that it contains various files within. But the real exe doesn't appear of course : it seems crypted/packed with a special tool ...

Then do you know this kind of ZIP SFX protection package ? And how to unpack them ?

Thanks.

I was working in the modifications for ietotal, and received a reply from kakeware.com, where I asked some help.

A new version of ietotalx, called ietotalxx, is out. It doesn't have the hacks, and extracts the filenames, so if it includes the test mode and output options, I think it's better than mine because of all exception handlings the author made.

In my version, I included the mods you asked for, but because I don't want to steal the work of ietotalxx, I won't keep coding an identical program if the author don't mind to colaborate here.

I'll keep testing ietotalxx, and thinking of a way to avoid the duplicate files.

:hello:

Seems cool program, will test fully when I get home..

Instead of using PEiD, try using PEiDLL.DLL - PEiD 0.94 in a DLL, I made it for this kind of project.. You can scan all modes (including external) from invisible PEiD, and without changing the registry options, which normally happens if you run PEiD from prog like this.. There is also a multi-scan function, which you may find useful too.

Also, I see you're using my sig list :) This also is included in the DLL.. ;)

Find here : PEiDLL v1.04

I had to use my 'other' pseudoname, as BoB was already taken by some fake bob :)

If you convert the header files for your programming language, could you send to me for inclusion into the archive..? Thx..

~BoB~ / HiPPiEkilLeR ;)

Team PEiD

Unfortunately, I have an example where Universal Extractor fails : Acronis True Image 10.

Can you post a download link (assuming it's share/trial/etc. software)? I'll be happy to take a look.

I was working in the modifications for ietotal, and received a reply from kakeware.com, where I asked some help.

A new version of ietotalx, called ietotalxx, is out. It doesn't have the hacks, and extracts the filenames, so if it includes the test mode and output options, I think it's better than mine because of all exception handlings the author made.

In my version, I included the mods you asked for, but because I don't want to steal the work of ietotalxx, I won't keep coding an identical program if the author don't mind to colaborate here.

I'll keep testing ietotalxx, and thinking of a way to avoid the duplicate files.

Yeah, I had e-mailed him as well, around the same time I originally posted the request for assembly help here. I definitely agree that there's no need to waste time doing duplicate work on essentially the same program.

The kakeeware author also wrote a more generic version of the wrapper, which should work with any TotcalCommander plugin (as well as a separate one for FAR plugins). Very cool. I'm sure you already know this, though, as I see your name listed in the credits. :)

http://www.kakeeware.com/i_cmdtotal.php

Anyway, thanks again for helping out with this, as well as working with Adam at kakeeware on the updated versions. It looks like cmdTotal should do everything I need, so I'll play around with it and see how it works.

Instead of using PEiD, try using PEiDLL.DLL - PEiD 0.94 in a DLL, I made it for this kind of project..

Hi, BoB. Welcome to the MSFN forum, and thanks for the tip. I've actually looked into using your DLL in the past, but was never able to figure out quite how to do it. I'm also not a very good low-level coder in general (as I've stated here before), and AutoIt's DLL capabilities isn't quite as straightforward as some other languages. Without specific example code to follow, I usually don't have much luck with this kind of stuff. However, I see you've included some pre-compiled examples with the DLL, so I'll check them out and see how it works.

Also, I see you're using my sig list :) This also is included in the DLL.. ;)

Yeah, very useful. Thanks for posting it. :)

Now that I think about it, though, this may be a good reason to stick with the standalone .exe rather than using your DLL. As you pointed out I use your external userdb.txt file for additional signatures, but I've also added a few of my own. If I switch to the DLL with an embedded external database, I won't be able to just append my own custom entries to it. I suppose it'd be possible to create my own userdb.txt and reference it in addition to your embedded copy, but I find it useful to be able to search through your copy as well to copy/update/modify existing entries. I think I'd lose some of that flexability by switching to the DLL.

These are just some initial and random thoughts, though. Like I said, I'll play around with it and see what I can do. Thanks again.

Hello, happy new year to everybody

The download link for "Acronis True Image 10 home" (US ...) :

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/downl...ge10.0_d_en.exe

This is a Time Trial software. After install, the final Exe (TrueImage.exe in the install Dir) is slightly different than the one we would get if installing the full version (search the newsgroups if you want this one). Anyway, our only concern is just to determine what does this strange "Zipped exe" contain ...

Goodbye.

This is a Time Trial software. After install, the final Exe (TrueImage.exe in the install Dir) is slightly different than the one we would get if installing the full version (search the newsgroups if you want this one). Anyway, our only concern is just to determine what does this strange "Zipped exe" contain

Well, the current dev version can extract the contents of that file, but all I get is images and various support files as well. Just like you, I don't see the actual .exe that's doing the work. This seems to be related to the issue I described in post 374, in which I'm able to extract support files from the VMware installer (in particular the installer for Windows Installer), but not the VMware installer itself. I have yet to figure out why. I poked around at this one for a few minutes, but didn't have any luck with it, either.

If anyone else can figure this out, I'd love to hear it. It'd probably help out with my installer issue as well.

Thanks.

I have another request. Can anyone point me to some older Setup Factory installers (< v7.0)? I should be able to support them now with the new additions to what-will-become version 1.5, but I need at least two examples to test. So far I've only been able to find stuff packaged with Setup Factory 7.x, which is not supported.