[How-to] - Windows XP Gamer's Edition

Aegis

I don't mean to seem pessimistic, but actually realistic. I've probably said the same thing to gdogg about his micro-whatever project. This *Gamer's* Edition just seems so totally bogus to me. I mean, it's like you just rip out all kinds of DLLs that go even beyond nLite's grasp, ISO it and distribute it to people to beta test, when infact they have to stay up until 5 AM putting DLLs back into the Windows you crippled.

I mean, if you have 2 GBs of Dual Channel RAM, and a good AMD CPU, you're going to have more than enough resources to run both Windows an any game of your choice and then some. Why bother making this crippled Windows *Gamer* edition that "makes sure nothing interferes with your games"? I run my software firewall, Hamachi, Admuncher and Trillian at the same time as my games and they run *perfectly*. I think you're either misinformed, too picky or both. It just doesn't seem worth the time and effort. Prove me wrong.

Actually that's a good comment. I like the idea of a gamers edition version of winXP/2003, but what use is it if I can't run any of my other programmes. As much as I want to get the most out of my games, I also need to be able to use my printer for uni and trillian etc. for comunicating with people. I also want my bluetooth dongle to work so that I can transfer documents to my phone/PDA. I don't know if getting a 1-2% performance boost in games is worth the annoyance of not being able to use my computer to do anything else.

@Jeremy

Have you ever seen the insane overclocks at XtremeSystems? They spend hours tweaking their hardware, even resorting to building their own cooling systems when commercial products have reached their utmost limits. Why do they strive for such perfection? For breaking world records? For fame? I believe it's neither; it's the need to explore the possibilities, the need to push the boundaries ever further. These very people are the ones who got us to where we are now, and will get us to where we will be in the future.

To answer your more technical questions, I'm trying my best to make GE a more well-rounded OS; that is, to make it more than just a gaming OS. And I doubt you've read my previous posts about using XPE, else you would be more enlightened than to claim that I'll distribute an ISO. The download file won't even exceed 5MB. DLL's also won't be much of a problem; you're taking what I've done with Mindows and expecting GE to be similar. Without even seeing the beta yet, you're making claims about what GE's capable of.

Now about your system. Of course you can still run games, even with bandwidth-hogging applications on, but if you've always played like that, you'd never notice the lag. Assuming you have a good firewall, which filters all incoming and outgoing traffic and actually inspects the contents of the packets, that's probably 20% of your bandwidth down the drain. Throw in Trillian and your other programs, and you don't even know what you've been missing out on :D. With GE, I promise to create a more secure OS that doesn't rely on such crude mechanisms as firewalls. There's many benefits that will hopefully surface soon, but in the meantime, best thing I can tell you is to be patient.

well i was just talking to aegis and he is hoping to make this a fully functional operating system to be used as your main OS.

A fully functional Windows is not modifying a **** thing in it. I'm sorry but this whole thing just is not practical by any means. How many DLLs are ripped out of Gamer's Edition? Ripken told me on MSN that he was up to 5 AM trying to a fix a DirectX issue. Shouldn't a Gamer's edition be ready to fly with any game? *shakes head*

i was up to 5am doing a bunch of things, not just directx. the directx problem wasnt even b/c of GE, it was b/c of a problem between directx and xpe. i am able to play many games now and am amble to do a bunch more too.

@Jeremy

Have you ever seen the insane overclocks at XtremeSystems? They spend hours tweaking their hardware, even resorting to building their own cooling systems when commercial products have reached their utmost limits. Why do they strive for such perfection? For breaking world records? For fame? I believe it's neither; it's the need to explore the possibilities, the need to push the boundaries ever further. These very people are the ones who got us to where we are now, and will get us to where we will be in the future.

I doubt that. Microsoft determines the future of computers, sadly enough each version of Windows needs 2 GBs more RAM, which causes nit-picking freaks like us to mod, hack, tweak for all eternity.

To answer your more technical questions, I'm trying my best to make GE a more well-rounded OS; that is, to make it more than just a gaming OS. And I doubt you've read my previous posts about using XPE, else you would be more enlightened than to claim that I'll distribute an ISO. The download file won't even exceed 5MB. DLL's also won't be much of a problem; you're taking what I've done with Mindows and expecting GE to be similar. Without even seeing the beta yet, you're making claims about what GE's capable of.

5MBs? Gamer's Edition? DirectX alone is way more than 5 MBs and you can't play any game without DirectX...

Now about your system. Of course you can still run games, even with bandwidth-hogging applications on, but if you've always played like that, you'd never notice the lag.

That's because there is no lag, buddy. I have a 1.5Mbit cable connection and I don't connect to any server that has a ping higher than 100ms.

Assuming you have a good firewall, which filters all incoming and outgoing traffic and actually inspects the contents of the packets, that's probably 20% of your bandwidth down the drain. Throw in Trillian and your other programs, and you don't even know what you've been missing out on :D.

I'm not missing out on anything. You want more performance in games, get better hardware. Simple as that.

With GE, I promise to create a more secure OS that doesn't rely on such crude mechanisms as firewalls.

85% of the people out there don't even know what a firewall is. A more secure OS? Ok, but one that you and maybe 50 of your "beta" testers will use, realize in the long run that it just isn't worth it, and tell you good luck with your adventures.