Longhorn vs Win 2k3

.PsychoMerc.

Longhorn and Win2k3 shouldn't be compared at all.

Longhorn is a client OS, Windows XP's successor.

Windows Server 2003 is the successor to the Windows 2000 Server family.

Put it this way, if I wanted a client platform for multimedia and gaming, I would use Windows XP. If I wanted to run a webserver with over 10 concurrent connections, along with FTP, NNTP and SUS, then Windows Server 2003.

:)

Longhorn and Win2k3 shouldn't be compared at all.

Longhorn is a client OS, Windows XP's successor.

Windows Server 2003 is the successor to the Windows 2000 Server family.

Put it this way, if I wanted a client platform for multimedia and gaming, I would use Windows XP. If I wanted to run a webserver with over 10 concurrent connections, along with FTP, NNTP and SUS, then Windows Server 2003.

:)

I agree with Aaron...For now, I'll stick with Windows XP as a workstation, and as a webserver for my crappy site I'm hosting on it...

yeah that works well, heck even I did it for the fun of it :rolleyes:

But I wouldn't expect Microsoft to fix future bugs relating to multimedia or gaming issues in Windows Server 2003, so those peeps who still use it for gaming and watching DivX won't last long... :)

yeah that works well, heck even I did it for the fun of it  :rolleyes:

But I wouldn't expect Microsoft to fix future bugs relating to multimedia or gaming issues in Windows Server 2003, so those peeps who still use it for gaming and watching DivX won't last long...  :)

Ime playing Games and Watching DIVX Stuff heaps, and dont have a single prob with win2k3, so i kinda Disagree :D

• 2 weeks later...

as most ppl said on this topic it isnt correct to compare 2k3 en lh, ive tried the M4008 of LH and i must say i 8ed it, too slow, very crappy. the visual style is great, i'd appreciate if MS would launch Windows XHorn or summut like mixing the good visual style of LH with the gr8 stability of XP :)

• 2 weeks later...

im using win2k3 as a workstation, and it runs great,

but i agree with Aaron, i wouldnt expect future support for gaming and multimedia,

on the other hand Longhorn should be out in 2005 (i think), so may be its a bit early to compare. its not even in beta yet (as far as i know).

I don't notice much of a difference between Win2K3 and Win2000 (had only a short experience with XP) when looking through registry and files etc... I think the biggest leap in OS support was when it switched to the NT kernel and then to the added enhancements of XP...

Besides, its a server OS and I think a majority of the changes were in favor of customer-driven (outta installation commentary LOL) requests and improved network components of the system (or in other words, Windows XP without the extras and then some)... I doubt this will affect any games or applications considering they just build each OS off its predecessor :rolleyes: Everything I've installed so far has worked fine... using XP installations. I'm just making a guess that game support won't really be needed for this OS considering how closely it resembles WinXP

I just hope developers will make flexible software instead of going "OMG I DONT KNOW YOUR OS THEREFORE I WONT INSTALL" :) (most of them already do tho)