98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

The Final update is here. Thanks to MSFN and all its members. This has been a great experience for me.

I have learned many things along the way that will follow me for the rest of my life.

Please take the time to fully read and understand the homepage for the service pack.

Any questions can be posted here and will be answered here. Please note, (ALL) other versions before FINAL are obsolete.

I will wait for people to test 3.0, that way I can fixed all the bugs at once in 3.1. Thanks.

Glad you mentioned that. :thumbup

I have 3 issues:

1) at some point SP3 sets MaxPhysPage to 40000, and that's an instant protection error on my machine on the next boot. It's currently set to 10,000 since higher values are somewhat to very problematic.

2) upon completion, it leaves the system in a funny state -- desktop icons are gone, background is some ugly dark gray, 5 windows for "Start menu shortcuts", plus some task that needs some help to close

3) after reboot: fatal exception 0E at 0167:BFF81804 (100% of the time) :(

PC: K7VM2 mobo (VIA KM266 chipset) with 768 meg of memory, Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro AGP card

Installed:

1. Win98SE base install

2. All drivers, plus setting Maxphyspage to 10000

3. IE6 + MD IE6 SP1

4. .net 1.1, its SP1, and SP1's security update

5. DX9c and its sec. update, WMP9 and its sec. update

6. nusb35e

7. U98SE SP3

I already rolled back U98SE SP3 and will do some investigation if I can pinpoint the cause of 3) [system was reasonably stable before 7. ]

Edit:

Is there a specific order these components should be installed? I chose to leave SP3 to be the last (but before regular applications), but one may argue that it could be beneficial to install it earlier.

post-86092-0-26947400-1335388115_thumb.j

Edited by aurgathor

I have 3 issues:

1) at some point SP3 sets MaxPhysPage to 40000, and that's an instant protection error on my machine on the next boot. It's currently set to 10,000 since higher values are somewhat to very problematic.

Thats because I'm using Xeno86 patched VCACHE.VXD and MaxPhysPage 40000 was considered the best setting.

Are you using rloew Ram patch?

2) upon completion, it leaves the system in a funny state -- desktop icons are gone, background is some ugly dark gray, 5 windows for "Start menu shortcuts", plus some task that needs some help to close

3) after reboot: fatal exception 0E at 0167:BFF81804 (100% of the time) :(

Never had these problems. Let wait and see if others are having the same problems.

PC: K7VM2 mobo (VIA KM266 chipset) with 768 meg of memory, Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro AGP card

Installed:

6. nusb35e

Its already included. You don't need to install it again.

Thats because I'm using Xeno86 patched VCACHE.VXD and MaxPhysPage 40000 was considered the best setting.

Are you using rloew Ram patch?

I haven't heard of Xeno86 patched VCACHE.VXD, so I'm obviously not using it. I'm also not using rloew's patch either.

In any case, SP3 shouldn't make assumption about what may be installed, and should just leave MaxPhysPage as-is.

Never had these problems. Let wait and see if others are having the same problems.

I just installed the RC (everything but 5.5 and 6.0 core files, Win95 shell swap, zip folder and xbox drivers) and never had any of these problems either.

So I'll roll it back yet again, and re-install the final version to see if the problems happen again. 98SE has a tendency to exhibit slightly undeterministic behavior, so it could've been just one of those random screw-ups out of the blue.

Installed:

6. nusb35e

Its already included. You don't need to install it again.

OK, I will leave it out next time.

I haven't heard of Xeno86 patched VCACHE.VXD, so I'm obviously not using it. I'm also not using rloew's patch either.

In any case, SP3 shouldn't make assumption about what may be installed, and should just leave MaxPhysPage as-is.

This is what VCACHE.VXD does and it is stable. It has been included in the Service Pack for a while now, before I started to update it. Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

It has been included in the Service Pack for a while now, before I started to update it.

In that case I guess I've been using it; however, the MaxPhysPage setting still crashes the computer I'm current;y working on.

I redid the install with the final SP3, and this time it worked fine without a hitch. So I guess it was probably one of those random screw-ups. However, something is definitely fishy, possibly unrelated to SP3 since my next install, Symantec AV 9 bluescreened thrice while downloading virus definitions via their liveupdate service. :wacko:

Unless specifically mentioned, none of the issues can be related to SAV9 because the AV program is the very last thing I install.

But given the unusual amount of grief, SAV9 has been replaced by, guess what, Symantec AV 8.1. :D:rolleyes:

That one installed w/o a single bluescreen, and it doesn't mess up suspend either, although the signature database is little more out of date. (10/18/2010 vs. 05/02/2011)

Unless specifically mentioned, none of the issues can be related to SAV9 because the AV program is the very last thing I install.

But given the unusual amount of grief, SAV9 has been replaced by, guess what, Symantec AV 8.1. :D:rolleyes:

That one installed w/o a single bluescreen, and it doesn't mess up suspend either, although the signature database is little more out of date. (10/18/2010 vs. 05/02/2011)

You should be Golden now :w00t:

Now that I know what Pebcak means, maybe you can let me know about a small issue I'm having on the first machine I'm testing sp3 on. It's probably me-

I did a clean install of win98se and drivers on an old Compaq P4 with 512mb ram. After the win98se install, I added Rloew's ram program as a test, maxed the computer to 1gb, and rebooted. All drivers fine and computer works fine. Didn't try any usb devices at that point.

I just installed sp3, rebooted into safe mode, removed every reference to usb that I could find, rebooted, and sp3 went through several usb database building messages and then the computer came up.

Everything looks great so far. Here's where the small problem starts......

I plugged in a Lexar 16gb usb flash drive and immediately got a blue screen....fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:C0031BF0. As a test, I shut down the computer. And then booted it up with the Lexar in the usb slot.

Doing it that way, the computer boots fine and then, successfully builds a driver base for the Lexar and then the flash drive is seen under sp3. All seems well.

I then shut down the computer, removed the Lexar, and then booted up. Once the computer came up, I plugged in the Lexar and immediately got the blue screen again.

Did the same routine with a Corsair 512mb usb flash drive and get the same results.

So far, everything is okay only as long as I boot up the computer with the either or both flash drives already connected. If I do it that way, everything is seen and works.

I also booted up with the Lexar connected, copied some data to and from it, clicked the little "safely remove hardware" icon, stopped the flash drive, and removed it. The moment I plug it back in though, the blue screen appears.

On a third boot up a minute ago with the Lexar in the slot, I notice that it appears twice as both an E and F drive The f: designation shows "removable". The E: just shows a drive icon. Data is accessible on either. So I don't know what I've got going here.

I'm going to restore the pre-sp3 ghost in a minute and try everything again, but figured I'd check here too. Any idea what the blue screen is all about? Do you suppose I didn't clear out everything during the safe mode boot?

Edited by billyb