98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

How would I forward the contents of that log file to the main logfile which is logfiles.log?

TYPE mylog.log >>logfiles.log

If I may, about redirecting the output of batches, it is normally NOT a good idea, in the sense that you have that in the log INSTEAD of on the normal output.

Using a tee command would probably be of use.

See if this fits:

http://code.google.com/p/wintee/

http://code.google.com/p/wintee/wiki/FAQ

or use mtee version 1.1 which surely works in Win9x:

http://www.commandline.co.uk/mtee/index.html

jaclaz

Thanks :w00t: Microsoft has a version too, inside Win98 Resource Kit. CAT.EXE 5.0.1754.1. I will used it in the next release. This is good for users so they don't have to copy and paste or even upload multiple log files. Every change will be in one log file for yours and mine convenience. Thanks again jaclaz :D

Here is a changelog of 3.19. I will release it some time this week or early next week. Important Notice for 3.18 users. If you already have 3.18 installed, you don't need to install 3.19. Download it anyway to have the latest version for future installations. The changes that have been made are minor and will not improve your installation. Users with virgin/clean installs will benefit only. If users want to change the default start banner, I will post the instructions after releasing the SP. If users want file logging, you must install Main Updates. All other updates will only install if they already exist on the system. Thanks again

Bug Fixes

Added CAT.EXE 5.0.1754.1 Microsoft Windows 98 Resource Kit

Added IRFTP.EXE 4.90.3000.0 WinME CD

Added POLEDIT.EXE 5.0.2195.2546 Windows 2000

Added installation logging

Added new default start banner

@ Drugwash

You definitely help keep me on my toes.

Check out what Microsoft says about Active Directory

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I'm loving the new default start banner !

I chose that one because it looks as close to the original with Second Edition added. Users can also add any banner they like. I did a lot of fine tuning with this version. I will also like to add, some of the updates I have added in the past are TOOLS, to help automate installation for your ease and mine. Don't worry guys, just cause a file is there, doesn't mean it will end up on your system. :thumbup This is why I always list the tools as well, so users can see whats been added :ph34r:

@ Drugwash

You definitely help keep me on my toes.

Check out what Microsoft says about Active Directory

Yep, I've read that KB alright, as well as a few others linked to it. They are the masters of if... then, but no actual final solution. I suppose situations like that lead to the development of the Side-by-Side (SxS) system used in later NT-based OS versions.

I see no detailed explanation as to which DSClient component might conflict with which hotfix(es) or original system files. There is no map of what breaks and what works if this gets installed. The only attempt at an improvement is DFS.VXD which makes it two out of three, instead of one out of three (Win2k domain logon attempts). Lame, IMHO. But anyway, our uSP installs a newer version of DFS.VXD, namely 4.10.2231, while the KB linked from the main article mentioned by you lists 4.10.2228 - hopefully it's for the best, not for the worst. Other than that, we're lost in the mist. Anybody got a good flashlight to get us outta here?

On a side note, related to the Explorer Start menu banner: it can be changed at any time, by using just a couple of tools. First is Resource Hacker and second is one that can kill the Explorer process without triggering its restart. For the latter I use Codestuff Starter, which is a great tool to watch/kill startup/running processes (and services in NT-based OS). Just make sure you get the zip version, as the installer wouldn't run under 9x last time I checked.

How to replace banner (or any other resources, for that matter) in Explorer.exe:

- unpack your resources, if needed (such as banner bitmaps mentioned by PROBLEMCHYLD, icon packs, AVI files)

- start ResHacker

- open file explorer.exe (in ResHacker menu > File > Open) from the WINDOWS folder

- replace the desired resource(s)

- start Codestuff Starter (or whatever other similar tool) and kill explorer.exe; make sure it doesn't restart by itself

- save the modified explorer.exe to the same location (a backup will be created automatically, named explorer_original.exe, which can be restored in case of a bad edit)

- hit Ctrl + Esc, which should launch a new Explorer process. If that won't happen for some reason, right-click in the upper list of Codestuff Starter, choose New > Browse, goto the WINDOWS folder, select explorer.exe and launch it. If you use another tool, make sure it has the ability to launch a new process. Alternatively, have a secondary file manager already open, Alt+Tab to it and launch explorer.exe from there.

That should be all and should cover questions such as "I don't like the default banner and I was reckless enough not to read the instructions on the download page, now how do I put my preferred banner in Explorer?" or anything similar.

Enjoy!

Please read the Important Notices!

3.19 is out. Enjoy! :thumbup:w00t::yes: B)

thanks for 3.19 :thumbup

is it possible to integrate the important notices to readme.txt ? maybe also drugwashs' instructions?

Edited by 4js

thanks for 3.19 :thumbup

is it possible to integrate the important notices to readme.txt ? maybe also drugwashs' instructions?

Drugwash and my way are similar. I just automate the tasks and Drugwash does it manually. Same instructions, different wording. About the readme.txt, I'm working on a chm file so everything can be included. Its going to take a while for the chm unless I can get some assistance. There is a lot of documentation I have to read thoroughly. Hopefully its not too much trouble for users to look right below the Most recent updates section which has the important notices. Not too far down the page at all :} The main reason I put them there :thumbup

About the readme.txt, I'm working on a chm file so everything can be included. Its going to take a while for the chm unless I can get some assistance. There is a lot of documentation I have to read thoroughly.

Perhaps you'd be better off using CHM Editor which is very cool (WYSIWYG Html editor) and very easy to use. It's a commercial demo who is supposed to expire after 15 days but I have it since about two years now and it always tells me I've got 15 days left. If you can leave with a nag screen on program startup and the fact it doesn't let you "save as" (but you can save, no problems) which is apparently its only limitation, then this is the way to go IMO.

Link to a 2010 version which works OK on 9x/ME unlike the latest: http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20100708085201/http://www.chmeditor.com/?

Edited by loblo

For building the individual HTML pages that make up the documentation, I'd use Komposer (got two separate versions here, they do work albeit with some minor issues). I think v0.8b3 should work fine in regard to FTP upload, while v0.7.10 has issues with that. Not sure, but it might require KernelEx in order to run.

Dunno of other similar tools that'd work under 9x and I did search everywhere, at the time. :(

For simple but good free WYSIWYG Html editor, check out Blocknote: http://blocknote.net/

Edited by loblo

Thank you very much, I've installed it and will test as soon as HTML comes my way. Personally I'm reasonably pleased with Komposer, but it's always good to be aware of alternatives. ;) More and more often I wonder if search engines really perform any search at all or they just suggest things based on whoever pays more for promoting their own stuff. Well, that's more of a rhetorical question.

Thanks loblo, but I chose to stick with the microsoft version. Its lite, it decompiles, it has way better compression. Here is a test of what I did. Its simple and all I need to do is add the artwork to it. Thanks guys, its a rough draft :hello:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Looking good!

One minor cosmetic thing is that the red text on dark grey used for the headings is a bit unclear to my eyes.

Also, I personally think that it would be better if the changelog list showed the most recent changes at the top rather than at the bottom.

Great job!

Cheers, Dave.

:)

Looking good!

One minor cosmetic thing is that the red text on dark grey used for the headings is a bit unclear to my eyes.

Also, I personally think that it would be better if the changelog list showed the most recent changes at the top rather than at the bottom.

Great job!

Cheers, Dave.

:)

Thanks, I uploaded a TEST2 version. Unless you know of a tool to reverse the changelog, it'll have to wait. Thanks for your feedback. Please check for typos. Thanks Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD