Switchless Silent Installers, RVM/nLite Addons, .MSI Files

RogueSpear

It depends on the complexity of the install and also if I've ever done the application before. Something like QuickTime Alternative that I've done a hundred times and has nothing particularly special about it, probably takes me like 15 to 20 minutes.

The Micosoft AntiSpyware took a long time because there was all kinds of problems that had to be solved, but further versions will hopefully not take so long. But as a rule, with a new app I've never repacked before, if I don't run into anything unsuall, I figure about a half hour to repack and then a half hour to test it out. Sometimes it takes quite a bit longer, but rarely does it ever take less time than that.

It's a process that involves a lot of steps and a lot of things to do. None of it is overly complex, but it also took me a few years of experience doing it to find all of the little things to watch out for. There's a lot of "gotchas" and a lot of little tricks to repack something.

The MSN Messenger installer was made with InstallShield AdminStudio by performing a two step snapshot, which is how I always repack applications. So if you know how to repack an app into an .msi file, either with AdminStudio or some other tool, then you can do this. Just do snapshot 1, then install your app and make any changes to it such as using the MSN patcher or installing Messenger Plus, then do snapshot 2. Obviously there is some cleanup and little things to change with the resulting files and registry entries, but it's really quite simple. With the exception of having to make a little VBscript, the MSN Messenger installer was really one of the easier ones I've done lately.

@muiz, I've never had an issue with either of those installers. Ever. Are you receiving an error message? Is the install directory present (%programfiles%\Multimedia\Real Alternative or %programfiles%\Multimedia\QuickTime Alternative) ? And did you notice that those installers both point to Media Player Classic at %programfiles%\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe ?

Update - 20051206

Added EULAlyzer V1.1

Added Microsoft Visual J# Redistributables V2.0

Updated QuickTime Alternative to V1.67

Updated Real Alternative to V1.46

Added SharpReader V0.9.6.0

Updated VirtualDub to V1.6.11 Build 23858

real and quicktime still dont get installed , no error message

all other things install fine

even when i click them in windows , they dont install

You are using XP Pro English right?, I tested them on a friends PC and they work fine for him, maybe you have some conflicting software already installed?