Switchless Silent Installers, RVM/nLite Addons, .MSI Files

RogueSpear

Notes: Also integrated in this install are VirtualDub MPEG2 V1.6.15 Build 24600, VirtualDubMod V1.5.10.2 Build 2542, and some plugins.

I include VirtualDubMod in my installer. When I make a new one, the Mod will be updated as well.

Seeing that you either:

• Don't bother to read my posts when I state that I am aware of when things are updated
    or
  • Are intentionally trying to annoy me by telling me anyway

VirtualDub and VMTools are now dead last on my list of things to do.

I just want to annoy you :)

Edited by muiz

Hey, love the work you're doing Rogue. One question:

On my Aunt's sad crappy Compaq machine, she runs an XP SP2 that's been heavily fubar'd by the good folks at Compaq/HP. :(

I downloaded a number of your SSIs to a thumb for the purpose of cleaning things up, including the runtimes installer you made.

I installed it along with a few other things, did a restart, and XP died. It demanded full reinstallation and refused to be of any use until I did.

Is there any problem with running the runtimes installer in the full OS? If so, is there a way I can run it post-os-restore and not have a problem? If there is not, should I just grab the other runtimes installers or make do as I can with the app manu's installers? Much prefer yours, as they're easy to deal with. Anyhow, thanks again for all your hard work.

--Gedrean

For quite some time I did have a warning to NOT run any of the runtimes installers that contain .NET 2.0 from anywhere other than svcpack. Then I received several reports from people that they tried it on an existing machine and it worked so... I removed the warning.

The issue is that normally, you cannot install .NET 2.0 from svcpack. In order to do this you need to make a registry change, install .NET 2.0, then change the registry back to the way it was. In theory it should all work out no matter where you install it from, but I did have problems myself; hence the warning.

I cannot say this for sure, but my guess is that if something interrupts the install process, the registry setting modified will not get changed back to it's original setting and this is what's screwing things up. I'll be sure to put the warning message back in again as there is obviously great potential for this to not work from anywhere other than svcpack.

• 2 weeks later...
For quite some time I did have a warning to NOT run any of the runtimes installers that contain .NET 2.0 from anywhere other than svcpack. Then I received several reports from people that they tried it on an existing machine and it worked so... I removed the warning.

The issue is that normally, you cannot install .NET 2.0 from svcpack. In order to do this you need to make a registry change, install .NET 2.0, then change the registry back to the way it was. In theory it should all work out no matter where you install it from, but I did have problems myself; hence the warning.

I cannot say this for sure, but my guess is that if something interrupts the install process, the registry setting modified will not get changed back to it's original setting and this is what's screwing things up. I'll be sure to put the warning message back in again as there is obviously great potential for this to not work from anywhere other than svcpack.

Is it installable from SVCPACK only due to these entries in your Install.cmd?

reg delete HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting\DW /f

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup /v SystemSetupInProgress /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup /v SystemSetupInProgress /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

If so (I'm sure it is!), can't you just use sort of IF or FOR statement to set

SystemSetupInProgress to 0 if it's found to be 1? Then you set it to 1 after

installation finishes.

This routine fits installation from SVCPACK.

For the package to work from other places (other than SVCPACK), if SystemSetupInProgress

is found to be 0, let it be 0 and continue installation.

This routine fits installation from other points.

I hope you get my right 'cause, this way, your package is installable everywhere.

BIG Problems here - how do i resolve this?

i've extracted the file to my desktop installed it everything went fine

but when reboot

i got me this message like "system did not install properly"

and my computer won't boot

so i had to re-format 7 install windows again

is there a right way to install this addon?

can u tell me how?

I've considered adding that functionality to the installers, but then it would require a fair amount of testing. Something I don't have time for at the moment. Perhaps sometime down the road.

Thanks, man. :thumbup