WIN 98 SE NIGHTMARES

wizardofwindows

My Win98se nightmare was when my father thought there was a problem on the 98se computer a few years ago we had and he took it to a computer repair shop.... (Some idiots forged my fathers email address and sent a virus to a relative)

I tried to tell my father what happend (I even pulled the header of where it was sent from (California (My relative sent us a copy of the email))) and the place called and said our they lost our computer!! (They said a fire started in the tower or something)

THEY GAVE US A REPLACEMENT 98SE AND IT WAS CRAP COMPARED TO THE ONE WE HAD!!

The brand name on it says "AIM" (Area Idea Mechanics) and it is awfull!!

I have thankfully gotton this working MUCH BETTER than it was when we got it.. (Kept crashing,etc)

I THINK THE IDIOTS STOLE OUR GOOD 98SE COMPUTER AND GAVE US THIS PIECE OF CRAP IN ITS PLACE........ It doesnt handle the swap file well,etc......

My father should have taken it back and told them it was crap!!! (He doesnt like confrontation unfortunetly)

Im not complaining anymore though and heres why.....

1) I love Win98se and i have luckily gotton it working much better than it was..

2) IT WAS WIN98SE!! (They could have given us one with XP and then i would be complaining like a banche!!)

Edited by Dude111

:whistle: No "Horror Stories";yet,just tryin' to set-up 98SE the firsttime 18 month's ago was "Dread-ful;Now am cosulting on 98SE,XP,Win95,Win3.1,some Dos and (Vista) only for users with no 'technical knowledge'or patience to set thier own systems if it "Crashes"!Windows98SE requires Patience,Persistence,Perserverence and sometimes alotta "Prayers".When setup 'Right' 98SE bets the #@$&* outta any New O.S. yet to be invented! :thumbup COOL Topic!

After SP2 and all other improvements that you may find today in this site and many others, all freeware, Windows 98 SE is no more the lame duck that it was in the beginning. No more many of the "troubles" that you found in it long ago. Instead of that, you find very interesting things, like the possibility of using double boot and restore XP from a .rar file from scratch, cloning Windows 98 in several logical units on the extended partition, restoring drive C from scratch by booting the system from any of them etc.

It also has the advantage of being "out of fight". I write this post now because just today I found this warning at start: "kernelnt.dll not found". It was a virus installed at System32 folder, and I only had to delete it (I found it easily by comparing C:\windows against D:\Windows using Comparator Pro). This way the OS has worked as an antivirus. And this is not the first time that I find a virus designed for Nt caught in the Windows 98 trap.

Well, after saying that, my greatest nightmare with windows 98 happened in february 2007 when I bought an asian USB2 pendrive and loaded the drivers provided with it and designed "for Windows 98". My computer crashed totally at reboot and I thought the HD was dead. After many trials I found that the install program had erased the boot sector, mbr and fat. I wonder if this was a cruel trap of the asian hardware provider to "convince" users to forget Windows 98 and buy a pendrive friendly XP computer: no need of ads.

Edited by cannie

I can't remember ever having such dreadful nightmares with 98SE. Being nosy, I'd messed with system files, replaced some of them at random sometimes and at most I would get a system protection error at boot, easily fixable by restoring the original file(s) in DOS mode.

Back when Miranda IM was in its relatively early stages (0.3-0.4 versions), testing the alpha builds usually meant 20-30 BSODs and cold resets a day (sometimes instant reboots, just like in XP - probably some updated system library did that) and still that installation (on my old 200MHz PentiumMMX) is perfectly functional today.

However, I could say I had a bit of a nightmare on my current machine because of a Lexmark X1100 series driver, which used to boot my system to BSOD at random times, mostly when I was in a hurry (yeah, bad luck is all over me). Finally I uninstalled those dreaded drivers and everything seems fine now (which reminds me I should resume work on WLL - ooops! if only I had enough spare time).

Oh and now that it comes to mind, I did have one huge nightmare one day, when during some testing I found myself - after a forced reboot - in front of a screen suggesting first time OS installation: the registry got automatically restored to first backup ever! I was a hair close to a heart attack, thinking all of the customization was gone forever, but then when my pulse got lower, I remembered to manually restore the registry in DOS mode (scanreg /restore) and found a fairly recent auto-backup that brought my machine back to its normal state.

Looking at the creation date of my current Windows folder, it says: September 17, 2006 and that's only because I had 2 HDD crashes the last years and had to take it from scratch each time. ;)

P.S. Cannie, I don't think an obscure asian hardware manufacturer would have anything to gain from people switching from 9x to 2000+, as long as they do sell their stuff anyway. Unless... ;)

Edited by Drugwash