Gaming with GeForce 6600 GT

jeeva

I have a GeForce 6600 GT, it performs well, HL2, CS-Source and Unreal Tournament are playable with 6x AA and 16x AF, but F.E A. R. doesn't run well there, is my card and my sys (AMD64 3000+,1024 MB DDR400, 400GB HD) ready for upcoming UT2k7, AOE III, etc?

Or need I insert another GF6600 in SLI-Mode or is my CPU just too slow? I read the article in the c't (a german professional PC Magazine) they stated, that more than the GPU power, nowdays the CPU is too slow for physics engine rendering.

that german dude is right, the cpu can easily bottleneck the gpu and visa versa. now what setting do you want to play those games in? it will be low to middle quality. if you want all high quality then you need to be looking at a 7800gt/gtx. if you dont want that then you should get sli. as far as the cpu, a better one would be nice but its not rly holding back ur vid card. if u were to get a 7800 then it would be holding it back but the performance would still be amazing, all high settings.

Don't be discouraged about not running F.E.A.R. well. It is very taxing on even the higher end systems, and unless you have a 7800GTX or the X1800XT, it will not run very good unless you turn down the details. I barely managed to get ~25 FPS on average in this game, and it requires a lot of video memory to run the game fluidly. This game and in addition to Call of Duty 2 is showing that more video memory will be important in the future.

I own a 66GT, overclocked slightly, and it runs the games that you say very well, but like others are saying, if you want to run new games at high quality then you do need an upgrade, I refuse to get an upgrade as it would mean a new board and CPU, and frankly I aint got the mney to do that, hehe :P

sorry for the delay, something with the email notification in this forum is wrong, anyways:

I want to play them in middle settings @ 1280x1024, as my TFT doesn't allow more, further it has only 20ms so I have a restriction here, too.

Since Release 80 of nvidia drivers it's possible to SLI'ze two different GPUs, so perhaps my next sallary goes to a 7800GTX or a AMD X2, perhaps the second would be better, because i'm not a big gamer but rather a gentoo freak so I can compile that stuff way faster.

So here my choices:

Gigabyte NX7800GTX, GeForce 7800 GTX, PCI-E, VIVO, 256MB

755 CHF = ~590$

(that should be ok? or are there better brands?) or

AMD Athlon 64 X2, 4400+, 2.2GHz, Dual Core, Toledo

813 CHF = ~635$

are they too expensive compared with your local prices?

What you think will be the better investment, or would you just wait a while? The ATIs X1800s are not yet available

Going with a X2 3800+ or 4400+ will not matter much, as they can both overclock easily up to 2.8 GHz, but the 4400+ does have a larger L2 cache, which is why it is considerably more expensive. Having a large L2 cache will generally give about a 5-10% FPS boost in games, and enhance other multimedia applications such as encoding/decoding video and music files.

Between the two, the 7800GTX will give you the most difference in gaming, but I'm worry about if your power supply is up to the increased power consumption. The X2 processor will definitely be noticeable during your every daily uses, but won't do much for games. My 2 cents.

The 6600 gt is not worth it imo. If anyone were to buy a comp they would be doing themselves a disservice getting anything below a 7800 series. Just wait till Unreal Engine 3.0 based games come out. PEople will be running out to buy Physics coprocessors as well!!!

Between the two, the 7800GTX will give you the most difference in gaming, but I'm worry about if your power supply is up to the increased power consumption. The X2 processor will definitely be noticeable during your every daily uses, but won't do much for games. My 2 cents.

About the PSU, I have a 500W Super Flower PSU, which was in several tests stable still when consuming 550 Watts.

What about the Temperature? Does the GF7800GTX get very hot? Have they optimized that? I heard that the 7800GTX isn't worth that money it costs, that's why I took the GF6600GT when building up my system 240 CHF (approx 199$) is inexpensive.

The 6600 gt is not worth it imo. If anyone were to buy a comp they would be doing themselves a disservice getting anything below a 7800 series. Just wait till Unreal Engine 3.0 based games come out. PEople will be running out to buy Physics coprocessors as well!!!

well if you think of building a system and only have approx. 900$ available then you better give some more $ to PSU and Mobo rather than for RAM or GFX, as you change that easly and in a more frequently basis.

About the PSU, I have a 500W Super Flower PSU, which was in several tests stable still when consuming 550 Watts.

What about the Temperature? Does the GF7800GTX get very hot? Have they optimized that? I heard that the 7800GTX isn't worth that money it costs, that's why I took the GF6600GT when building up my system 240 CHF (approx 199$) is inexpensive.

That's good that your PSU is underrated, but have you tried looking at your rails? Make sure your +12V is at least 22A and it doesn't flunctuate under 11.8V or over 12.2V.

well if you think of building a system and only have approx. 900$ available then you better give some more $ to PSU and Mobo rather than for RAM or GFX, as you change that easly and in a more frequently basis.

I think that's not a valid assumption. The 6600GT is a great card for those who are casual gamers that want to play the latest games without going broke or don't mind losing some eye candy. My father recently bought a PNY 6600GT card (AGP version) and it plays Doom III and Battlefield 2 very well. You can find these cards for $120-$150 USD, which I think is a bargain for what you get. Of course it won't match a 7800GTX/X1800XT, but it's also nearly 20% of the cost of those cards. The value of money is within the eyes of the beholder.

Edited by Thai3g_Eclipse

yeah exactly, but something that made me thinking a bit about it was a passage in the Tom's Hardware guide, that stated, that also causual players shouldn't measure their playing time and decide with that the model, they say "Play time is Free time and shouldn't be spent by seeing bad quality or "diashow"" and imo that's right.

Ok, thanks 2 all, I stay a while with my GF 6600GT and if time comes, and ATI AVIVO(1) is out and some games, that REFUSE to work with my GFX, I will consider upgrading, perhaps that will be after my apprenticeship and then I can afford it better.

1. ATI AVIVO is a technology on R500 Series of GPUs to decode HDTV H.264 Videos without taking too much CPU ressources.

Since Release 80 of nvidia drivers it's possible to SLI'ze two different GPUs, so perhaps my next sallary goes to a 7800GTX
That won't work...at least not in SLI mode. The release 80 drivers allow you to have the same GPU but from different card manufacturers for SLI. Before if you wanted SLI you had to get, for example, two BFG 6600GT based cards. But with the Release 80 drivers you'll be able to do like a BFG 6600GT based card and an Asus 6600GT based card. It doesn't allow you to mix GPUs, just manufacturers.