iTunes 5, Localized with no quicktime...

seapagan

I don't have an option to uninstall. No link is created in Start Menu. And it doesn't show up in Add/Remove Programs. How awkward. :\

Also, when I try to install Nero 7 (from the "only the basics" thread), I get a weird error saying it's looking for iTunes.msi. But if I install Nero 7 first, then iTunes will say it needs Nero.msi. I'm just nabbin' the iTunes 7zip, and I've compiled my own 7z SFX silent installer. Hopefully it works.

Strange. I have installed both from the silent and 7z files on 5 machines here over the past few days, and so none of the problems you have with the add remove and shortcuts - all are installed properly. How are you installing? I have tried both to a running system and using RunOnceEx during XP install and see no problems.

The iTunes msi problem I have finally seen also - but then I have also seen the problem with other repackaged apps here too. I *think* it may be to so with that fact that no local installation cache is created (the original iTunes installer does not do this, they are relying on the winrar to create it instead).

What I may do is to make the 7z installer create this local cache and see if that helps (ie, not unpack to a temp dir, but to the place that the uninstaller is expecting).

Leave it with me and I'll post back when it's tested.

seapagan, thanks a lot for the 602 update.

this thread, i got it bookmarked :)

You're welcome :)

SP

I just tried using the 7zip installer.

I ran this command:

@start /wait Setup.exe /S /V"SILENT_INSTALL=1 INSTALL_DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=0 ASSUME_QT_DEFAULTS=0 ASSUME_MEDIA_DEFAULTS=1 ALLUSERS=1" /w"

This is the same error I would get when I tried to install Nero (yes, Nero wanted iTunes.msi) too. I got this error on my current rig, and on a clean VM setup. :\

post-56247-1137999832_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dumpy Dooby

Any luck thus far? Anything I can do to help you out?
Sorry, I've not been following this thread for a bit, it expired in my tracking and I have not had time to browse the forums regularly.

However - I have reinstalled 4 PC's over the past 2-3 weeks, all with this iTunes on it and have never had any of the problems mentioned. iTunes was at all times installed from RunOnceEx. I have instaled and uninstalled many programs on all these PC's with no sign of this error (Incidentally, I used to get the same error but looking for lclock installer, from the RVM integrator addon of the same name.....)

I'm gonna be busy for a few days again, but I've not forgotten. I'm sure that this would be fixed by getting the silent installer to unpack (and not delete) the installer files into the directory that iTunes official package uses - you can use the features of WinRAR SFX or the Hacked 7z SFX for this. i'll have to redownload the iTunes installer to get this info, since I've deleted the original.

Perhaps if people posted their configuration (ie which RyanVM pack and addons, nLite yes or no etc etc) was used to create your XP installation it may be easier to narrow down a problem area ......

It's worth pointing out that the official itunes msi is pretty badly written in the first place, and this is just a hack of that installer.

SP

I would just like to say that i have had that same problem as well when trying to install my HP PSC 1315v series drivers. i get a message asking for iTunes.msi and i click cancle like 3-4 times and then setup goes on. A second thing thats not really an error but more of a question, is there anyway to bypass having to accept the eula stuff for the first start up? I tried using regshot to catch the registry changes but for some reason the regshot prog keeps crashing when it tries to compare the before and after. it's worked flawlessly for me (regshot that is) for everything else so I'm stumped. I wish ipods were just

1.) connect to pc

2.) drag files to removable storage device via windows

and then you are on your way. what would be so hard about that?

also as a side note if I disable iPodService before the first run the same windows installer window comes up asking for iTunes.msi. and I use the silent version to install on clean systems with my UAXP disk via RunOnceEx after QT-Alt is installed and get this problem, hope this helps to get the problem solved.

Edited by godan

yeah, i don't want to be pushy at all, seeing as seapagan has done so much great work already, but v6.0.3 wouldn't hurt :rolleyes:
Been pretty busy with more important things, but I made a 6.0.3.5 installer today, and modified the silent install version so that it may fix the problem people were having (something that is actually badly designed in the official installer). I'll upload tomorrow after more testing.
is there anyway to bypass having to accept the eula stuff for the first start up?
I seem to remember people talking about copying the configuration files from an already installed version after installing the silent one, to keep all your settings and such, that may work. Not sure exactly which file it was since I'm not too fussed at pressing one button, but if you search the forums you will probably find what you are looking for.

SP

Edited by seapagan

just wondering if you've run in to troubles with the new version? just asking because 2morrow was 5 days ago... ;)

edit: and a bump since other pll seem to be looking for a way to get itunes with out quicktime but dont know how to search.

Edited by godan

Heh, you're going to hate me. But I'm having trouble with the newest one. Everything extracts just fine and dandy. But it doesn't install. It just stalls for a bit, and then closes. I'm guessing that there's an error of some sort, but it's being supressed by your custom MSI or whatever.

Could you tell me what command you use in 7zip's SFX so I can make my own installer, but use a passive method instead of quiet. I should also point out that the non-silent release installed just fine.