why soes piracy exsist

Ven

I believe that an artists receives very few money for every CD or DVD sold, making their real profits through concerts and interviews, the ones who make money from the sale of MP3s online, CDs and DVDs are record companies and not the artist him/herself.

And also I think that an artist would feel proud that his/her music is being traded online like crazy, it shows recognition, which is ultimatly what every artist is seeking, imortality.

Artists don't make any money from anything. What happens is the music companies "lend" them money up front for the potential sales of the music and concerts etc. and expect the band to make a video using the "lend" money they received. Then if the record company makes more than was expected on the sales of all things band related, they then give a cut of the profits to the band. This is why now a days bands are like one hit wonders. TRhey make an album and blow all there money making fancy stuff then there is nothing to help make second album and then it bombs.

Also when it comes to Radio, the major labels make what are called "Gold Disks" that have a selection of the songs that the companies want the public to listen to. When was the last time you heard a song off of "...And Justice for All" that was not called "One"? I know many times working graveyard shift at a gas station a few years back I would request like Blakened or Fight fir with Fire from Metallica and all I would get was One or Enter Sandman. They don't have those songs unless the DJ goes and buys the CD himself.

The record labels are in cahoots with the radio owners and they only play what they want you to hear. They argue and say they do not but they do. I have to many friends and familly in the radio biz and they all complain about the Gold Disks cut what they want to play into nothing.

@baronvonfoxbat7734: That I believe it was already known, I always assumed the same thing happened with MTV.

-------------------

So to resume everything... The most of us are saying that the artists get very few or almost no money from their music and who loses are record companies? So that makes it ok for us to copy their music?

I'll admit I've pirated a decent amount of music (though most of my collection is public domain :P), and a bit of software. Always for one of the following reasons:

-I can't buy it. Nobody local sells it, I have no way to reach or even find someone that does it, and I don't have a credit card to buy it online (and most sites don't even have it... I listen to some very obscure music :P)

-I bought it, and it got stolen.

-To try it out because the demo version demonstrated nothing more than their fancy 'buy the program' message boxes.

-In a few cases, because I simply couldn't afford it and absolutely needed it. Of course I buy a legit copy once I can.

-The author simply isn't selling it anymore. What am I supposed to do if they won't let me pay? :P (Somewhat rare, but it does happen.)

And I bet there's a few in there that I think are PD but aren't. Heh.

As for people who just pirate everything, I bet it's because they don't want to spend 20 bucks on a 1/3-full CD with only one good song on it, with some crappy copy protection that won't let them play it on their computer/high-tech stereo or copy it to their MP3 player. Or in the case of software, because the price is simply ridiculous ($5000 Gameboy emulator, anyone?) or because they need it for school or some such.

Edited by HyperHacker

Please look at this post.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=55128&st=10

It has some reasons as to why I beleave that picracy exists.

Also piracy, in my opinion, is a my for normal people to feel as though they can get away with something they would not normally do. Piracy is theft plan and simple. But most people would shoplift just because they want something. Piracy is a way of making the person feel as though they can do such a thing without fear of consiquence. Until recently this was true. But just because someone sees an ad in a movie theator that say that it's wrong doesn't mean that they will change. Once you get away with it once, it is much harder to tell yourself that you shouldn't do it just because its a moral gray area. Many people do not see software piracy as a crime. They let their personal feelings, such as the fact Windows XP just costs to much, to cloud their judgement. If you beleave something to be wrong why not work to change it rather then just steel it?

I do understand that no one person has any hope of changing the price for a product such as Windows Xp but I do beleave that if enough people refused to pay such a high price, lawfully, that this could change.

But maybe I'm wrong and piracy is the peoples way of doing just that.

but what p***es me off the most is that the government who enforce the rules don seem to see the root cause.. the root cause i believe is it costs too much.. and then they kick up a big fuss and say its our fault that we buy pirated stuff that is damaging the industry.. but its the inustries that are killing themself by placing their goods at extremley high prices.. so ppl will reside to piracy which can give them things for close to noting..

• 2 weeks later...
do you mean why they are selling xp for like 150$ retail when all they do is make copies and new cd keys? well then its b/c of all of the time/money they put into reasearch and development. vista is probably costing them at least a billion. they have to pay all of their employees too! wow thats alot of money for those nerds,lol.

If it's costing them at least a billion and they have 600 million captive customers, then it's costing them 83 cents - for ALL edtions!

I make it $15.oo based on...

10,000 programers at $2,000 per week for five years

Lawers standing by - 100 million

Senior executives - $50 millin

Power, light, rates & taxes - $5 million

Gardners _ $100,000

Coffee - Not all ARABICA mind you, but some ROBUSTA - $200,000

Broken office chairs wholesale - $ 1,500

*That's $15.00 for ALL editions bounce.gif

Hi

My 2pence worth is I have a Original disc of Battlefield 1942 but the disc 2 is cracked and cant now be installed EA games now wont £7.50 to replace the disc why should i have to pay again to replace it, if they wont to stop piracy EA Games should replace broken discs

Regards

Smartie91

Hi

My 2pence worth is I have a Original disc of Battlefield 1942 but the disc 2 is cracked and cant now be installed EA games now wont £7.50 to replace the disc why should i have to pay again to replace it, if they wont to stop piracy EA Games should replace broken discs

Regards

Smartie91

well you could always download the 2nd disk using a torrent, this should be legal since you own the original and have an original cd key.