10k rpm vs. SATA II

Curious on what your thoughts were about this. Which drive would be better a 10k Raptor using SATA150 or a drive using SATA II @ 7,200? My bet would still be on the Raptor, just wish there was a 10k SATA II drive out there. Do they even exist? Thanks guys.

no they dont exist, yet

the raptor will rape any 7200 drive in burst speed, for copying/moving very large files sataII will come just above the raptor. so the raptor is faster, not by much but it is. this is considering that you are comparing 2 sataII drives in raid0 which i would definetly pick over a raptor, more space, queiter, cooler, longer life. but if you were comparing the raptor vs 1 sataII then the raptor will kill it by alot.

Thats what I figured ripken. Thanks for confirming that. It just seems like, why have this insane rotation speed compared to most drives but not have it on a SATA II interface yet? I understand, takes time, blah blah. ;) My ultimate goal is infact to have 2 of the Raptors is Raid0. Thanks again.

ahh we'll never need that, lol

remember when bill gates said that we would never need like 1mb of ram or something like that, now 512 is too little, 1gig is that average,and some people are getting 2 gigs.

Edited by ripken204

I was on a 250gb SataII drive and windows installed in 15 minutes... A retail copy of Windows not a nlited... lol

AMD Athlon 4000+

2gb of OCZ 2-2-2-5

MSI K8N Neo4 Platnium

... It was speedy... lol... I would opt for the SATAII

:w00t:

I was on a 250gb SataII drive and windows installed in 15 minutes... A retail copy of Windows not a nlited... lol

thats more the cpu than the drive... i can do a fresh install, to the desktop w/ mobo, vid, audio drivers dx 9.0c in ~30 minutes (updated drivers not the default ms ones) regardless of if im using a pata wd 1200jb (or bb? cant remember, the 8meg cache one) or a sata maxtor diamondmax 10 300gig (20gig os partition). i know my install time dropped immensely when i went to a64, i don't even use my ghost images anymore, after getting updated drivers in it doesnt make much more difference timewise.

granted im not a maxtor fan, but the drive got good reviews here for a non-sata II drive. supposedly all the diamondmax built after april 05 are the same physically as their "enterprise" maxline series. best bet is to read around and see what fits your budget.

@ ripken:

2x1 so he can upgrade to 4 gb when his parents give him more money...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227210

sorry the timings are 2-3-2-5... one off... lol...

Ripken, I didn't mention the 7800gt... Brand spankin' new... that is one big graphics card... but it run some frames in WOW.... His limit was $1700...

@everyone:

I'm not a big maxtor since i bought a 60 gb and it died within 6 months...

and i never bought one since...

:realmad:

A Raptor w/ a 3.4, 2x512 ddr2 800 pc6400 should install faster then a SATA II though I would think.  I've heard 6~8 minutes for non nlited XP Pro.  Just wish there was a 10k drive on SATA II.

i wouldnt doubt that, with an fx57 it only takes a few minutes if its nlited

@lostincyberspace2007

ya, that is some high quality ram he has there. as far as i know the only 2x1 that can beat it is the crucial ballistix which costs 400$!

and he has that sweet vid card too!

Edited by ripken204