[How-to] MicrowinX Project

gdogg

@tjodrik , old last_session.ini removed.

due to confusion.

anyway, microwinX is about choice, and there will be many choices.

also, beta 3.0 will try to bring to the table more choices with hard support. ex. printers/scanners/webcams/smart cards

Edited by gdogg

@aegis since you brought it up, what would you consider a good method of showing benifits?

boot times filmed? microwinX on the best computer to an emachine? or should I be breaking out the old p1 233 and see if I get that to boot microwinX in 15 seconds.

Screenshots:

1) The properties for the drive Windows is installed on (and the \Windows directory within it, to prove Windows is installed there), to show the small size.

2) Process Explorer listing the running processes and system info. Should be pretty impressive.

3) Some program that does a lot of heavy math and shows its speed (something like a prime number finder or whatever); run it on a computer with the same specs and stock XP to show the difference.

first off all of this was showed along time ago. no superpi tests but, users will have ability to do this for themselves in a couple weeks time.

also same goes for above, as all these things were removed, until public release. but all valid none the less. all will be show at later dates. via the new site, that way this waste of bandwich, is mine lol.

Edited by gdogg

Which versions of XP will work with MicrowinX ? OEM, Retail, Corporate? I would be using the Corporate Edition. I am assuming that you would provide you own XP media and serial #, like nLite, BartPE, etc.

Thanks,

-John

even MCE?

if so, would it keep the MCE additions and be larger, or just strip out to be like 'normal' XP microwinX?

..surely it would need WMP for the MCE part.. so im assuming either it doesn't work, or would just lose MCE funcitons..?

mce requires far more than just wmp 10, which btw works currently. mce is under future support, due to the fact, I'd be making all MCE tools work in microwinX for that version, cause people would want it, if there using mce.

@aegis since you brought it up, what would you consider a good method of showing benifits?

boot times filmed? microwinX on the best computer to an emachine? or should I be breaking out the old p1 233 and see if I get that to boot microwinX in 15 seconds.

Screenshots:

1) The properties for the drive Windows is installed on (and the \Windows directory within it, to prove Windows is installed there), to show the small size.

2) Process Explorer listing the running processes and system info. Should be pretty impressive.

3) Some program that does a lot of heavy math and shows its speed (something like a prime number finder or whatever); run it on a computer with the same specs and stock XP to show the difference.

As I've said before, size doesn't matter. Process Explorer also doesn't work too well, since you can easily end lots of tasks with that. I'm not sure about the heavy math program yet, but I'll try it soon. If that doesn't work, then I'll make my own OS testing program that will be geared toward gaming and professional work environments.

lol,

next to all programs can work in microwinx.

its small, fast, secure.

when released in 4 fridays. You'll get to use it.

all benchmark programs I get my hands on, will be working. With exception of 3dmark06 due to wmi requirement.

pifast scores is I guess what hes after.

or maybe just a simple superpimod

anyway all this will be seen on public release day, easily.

Edited by gdogg

gdogg,

Your project sounds interesting. Have been watching the threads on it for sometime. Question I have is how compatible will it be with a HTPC?? Sounds great and can't wait to see the BLOAT FREE XP!!

CYA

jd

its as compatable as xp home would be. Wont work with mce atm, but that is planed later.

Thanks gdogg,

I won't be running mce anyway. :D:D

HTPC Specs

Home Theatre System

MOBO: Abit AN7 CPU: AMD 3200XP

RAM: 512 Megs Ram Vid. Capture: PVR 250

VGA: MSI NX6600GT ViVo

DVD Player: Sony DDU1615

DirectTV: RCA 486 Satellite Reciever

MITSUBISHI WS-A55

jd

ok sounds good.

even though microwinX is about gaming, I dont neglact the fact, everyone has software they use daily also, and I will add support for all things users request. But the main goal is, and will remain security.

now I ask users who want to use microwinX, to request software they want to use. (limit of 3 per person until beta 3.0)

request as many games as you want though and post a link to a playable demo for it. Thanks.