Is this reg string unique to each install?

I'd like to disable the "click" function of my Synaptics Touchpad during installation of the driver.

I found with regshot that the following key is changed when I manually enable/disable the click function, but the reg key looks to me that it MIGHT be a unique key for each user/installation?

The reg key to disable "click" is:

HKU\S-1-5-21-1085031214-1682526488-1343024091-1003\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\TouchPadHEXBTNPS2\Gestures: 0x00000002

Please, any reg gurus is this key unique or can I apply it during driver install?

Whether it is or isn't (I think it's the standard Administrator login key though), it should also reference to HKEY_CURRENT_USER so I would try modifying it from there.

Edited by Jito463

I'd like to disable the "click" function of my Synaptics Touchpad during installation of the driver.

I found with regshot that the following key is changed when I manually enable/disable the click function, but the reg key looks to me that it MIGHT be a unique key for each user/installation?

The reg key to disable "click" is:

HKU\S-1-5-21-1085031214-1682526488-1343024091-1003\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\TouchPadHEXBTNPS2\Gestures: 0x00000002

Please, any reg gurus is this key unique or can I apply it during driver install?

This part is unique=

S-1-5-21-1085031214-1682526488-1343024091-1003

of course exactly this part is not unique.

it is created with random values for the different users you have configured on your system.

apply them to HKEY_CURRENT_USER at T12 and you wont have problems.

I've noticed some software starting to write to the reg down there myself.

Guess what's needed is something to parse the reg and get current SID and change your provided reg file on the fly. I've been looking at that myself.

The SID can change and I don't know why it does it sometime's and then occasionally stay's the same.

apply them to HKEY_CURRENT_USER at T12 and you wont have problems.
Maybe maybe not, need to be carefull with this one if you are creating new User's or you may end up with bogus User named with same name and the computer name attached at end. EX: maxxpsoft.1234567 in Docs and Sets

I know with Docs and Sets this can happen so I changed my method's for copying/install them.

This is exactly the problem I had when trying to define new placement for mail folder during unattended. User ID is uniquely created for each installation. I found the answer in this thread: OE - Import&Export Rules

You may want to take the idea and make the script of your liking.

Best regards,

Oleg 2

Oleg_II

I remember reading and using that awhile back when I used Outhouse, now I don't and I'm sure that can be modified to work as a script for Boardbabes key.

I've done it myself in a different way in an upcoming version of my program.

actually a lot of those scripts came from a batch file..

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=16047&hl=Identities

before that, I dont think a method existed...so maybe through batch you can get it to work...I could probably come up with a way through batch to pull the correct key and apply your reg tweak, but Im gonna give you a chance to do it yourself.

Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider\S-1-5-21-xxxxxx

is the first and only place I find my SID in reg under HKCU, next place is in HKLM

? is does this key Protected Storage System Provider exist all the time even when someone does some removes. I would think it does.

Next place to pull it from would be

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Would have to parse that for correct user.

BTW Boardbabe, before I never could get the exact thing you want to stick so I swapped my keyboard with another of my PCs. :wacko: I can do this now but not in a cmd

Edited by maxXPsoft

reg query HKU | findstr /V /E Classes | findstr S-1-5-21

put that in a batch file, it will return the "UID" string...now to set it to a variable to be used in batch

UID.bat

reg query HKU | findstr /V /E Classes | findstr S-1-5-21>temp.txt
for /f "delims=\ tokens=2" %%i in (temp.txt) do set UID=%%i

basically what happens is this...the first command queries HKU for all subkeys...giving us .Default, S-1-5-18, S-1-5-20, S-1-5-20_Classes, S-1-5-21-xxxxxx and S-1-5-21-xxxxxx_Classes. Since we do not want anything other than the S-1-5-21 portion and we dont want the Classes part, findstr gets us down to the correct subkey...then the for command allows us to set it to a variable...remember, this is a temp varaible...whatever you want to do to the key, you need to include in the batch. S-1-5-21 is a prefix that exists on everyones machine...just the numbers after it are different.

Edited by evilvoice