why do u guys use such big hdd's ?

500 GB - RAID 0

120 MASTER

60GB SLAVE/BACKUP

Thats this PC, in the other theres a 160gb, and 60gb. And the old machine i rarely use has two 80gb disks in it too. so... 1060GB tho theres only really the two machines ever used, the drives on the old machine dont really have anything on them - its just a spare box.

I do a lot of image, web, movie work. a DVD takes up almost 5GB - more if its dual layer. Im also a total game freak as anyone round here that knows me will tell u :P

a few games installed on the pc soon swallows up about 20gb these days - never mind save files and screenshots etc increasing the size more -- ever played an MMOG? starts off around 5GB on your disk and gradually grows the more you play online.

i also use my machine as a media PC - it has every CD and DVD i own on it, no more playing DJ for me, Imon is a lazy mans best friend, hence the raid array - its a media bin, but also gets other stuff thrown on it - very handy to have.

:thumbup

I know it's been said already but those of us who capture audio/video from our TVs and transfer DV from our camcorders and do encodings that produce several large-sized temp files, this takes up harddrive space very quickly. That's why we use such big HDs. ;)

my girlfriend told me its not the size of the HD its how you use it :P

I think you might have misunderstood her! ;)

HD stands for Hard DISK :lol:

I have 2 120 GB in RAID 0, which gives me about 230 GB.

I stay about 10-50 GB free.

40+ GB in games.

6 GB of installed programs.

35 GB in profiles, virtual machines, and application install packages/patches.

5 GB in music.

The rest in vid and misc.

Edited by GeneralMandible

nothing wrong with more than a TeraByte

74GB Raptor - Main System

320GB - Media Center

80 - Storage Server

2x200 RAID1 (200GB)

3x250 RAID5 (500GB)

40 - Laptop

40 - App Server

2x250 RAID1 (250GB)

60 - Wife CPU

60 External

250 External

2x250 External (500GB)

40 - Replacement for App Server

4x250 RAID5 (750GB)

I have 5 HDD's for 330 G.

One, a 40 G drive holds my four OS's. XP Pro, Whatever LH is current, Server 2003 and Linux (UBUNTU).

The second is 74 G and holds all my backups plus archived programs so that when I do a reformat/reinstall of XP I don't have to spend hours and hours scouring the internet to replace all my favorite applications. Especially those which are older, but in my opinion better, versions.

The third is 80 G and is used like a common Program Files folder where all my installed Windows applications live (I use nLite to export my Program files folder to this drive) as many of them only require one installation but can be called from any Windows install (I export shortcuts to the various Windows installs). Of course this doesn't work with applications that use the registry, but it does for almost everything else.

The other two totaling 140 G's are for data which for one reason or another hasn't been burned to a CD or DVD.

I've been into computers since the '70s and can quite well remember when there were no hard drives. And I remember sitting in darkened rooms with a small flourescent light (for the 60 Hertz flicker) carefully timing floppy drive motors so as to squeeze DS/DD out of DS/SD drives.

There is never enough storage.

Edited by benyahuda0