Lightscribe Technology

I just got a brand new laptop which is the HP zd8230us which is there latest out right now. It has DL DVD BURNER with Lightscribe Technology which allows you to burn images directly onto the top on the DVD or CD lightscribe media. My question is right now the media is pretty expensive for a 10 Pack of DVD+R's which are going for roughly 18 bucks. I can buy a 50 Pack of non lightscribe DVD-R's for roughly 25 bucks. I have yet also seen a DVD-R lightscribe media for compatability with older DVD players which sucks. I see no real reason to keep buying the lightscribe media until it hopefully catches on because of the cost, compatability problem with older DVD players, and not to mention out of the 5 DVD+R's I have only two that sucessfully burned the image on top. Tell me your opinion on this latest technology. B)

i actually like the light scribe tech, its sweet, ive never had the chance to get one to test it out but from the work ive seen on a few disks,, its nice to have that option,, but i have read and heard in some cases it has been known to mess up a disk or dvd to be unusable,,,

but id still like to give it a try,, they have always intreged me,, but what can i say im a sucker for design :)

It's clever, but in the long run not really very useful. Just bells and whistles. If I've done a successful burn, the last thing i want to do is to possibly mess it up. I'm quite content with a non-destructive permanent marker! :o) It cool though!

I don't have lightscribe yet...but I do have a Yamaha CRW-F1E 44x24x44 with DiscT@2 and it still makes nice labels....as for the LightScribe CDRs...you can get 30 Verbatim (80min 700mb) at ebay 'Retail' for $22.00.

http://www.lightscribe.com/index.aspx

Pros:

Can "burn" a label on special LightScribe media.

Looks more professional than using a CD-Pen.

Can add text, images, etc to an already burned label.

Cons:

Label takes from 17 min (draft quality) to 27 min (best quailty) to burn.

Price of LightScribe media.

Label is greyscale, no color.

Compatability issues with older DVD players.

Until they can improve the labeling time, compatability, price, and add color I'll stick with printable discs, Pioneer 1.08 DVD Burner, Epson R300 Printer, and clear acrylic sealer.