Integrating Windows Update V6

I have integrated this update to my svcpack.inf but when I go to windows update it still ask me for Windows Installer 3.1 and then I have to reboot...

A better solution maybe to leave it out of SVCPack because that is where you are installing KB893803.exe (Windows Installer) and install this at RunOnceEx.cmd using Reg Add

This will ensure that when the Microsoft Pack is installed, Windows Installer will already be present.

From reading I assume we use the following directions For SVCPACK users:

Download and integrate Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) KB893803 For example: KB893803.exe /integrate:c:\xpcd

We then download WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe that is Multi-Language containing Microsoft Update version 6 thanks to Brosy.

go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43264

and down load the latest au client.

you will be able to do a silent install

We save WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe to the svcpack directory for example c:\xpcd\I386\svcpack

We then modify svcpack.inf located in the I386 folder

[CatalogHeader]
[Version]
BuildNumber=2600
MinorVersion=1
MajorVersion=5
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\I386\svcpack"

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
KB893803v2.exe /q /n /z                                      You get this required entry from using /integrate
WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe /wuforce /quiet /norestart      We add this entry

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]
KB893803v2_wxp.cat                                           Also after using /integrate

I also have a quick question when WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe is extracted it is 41.0 MB because of all the extra languages.

My question, is can we just extract it and place the following files English files in the svcpack directory brining it down to 4.80 MB?

I assume this is all the English files with everything else removed.

svcpack\cdm.dll

svcpack\iuengine.dll

svcpack\msxml3.dll

svcpack\winhttp.dll

svcpack\wuaueng.dll

svcpack\wuauserv.dll

svcpack\wups.dll

svcpack\wups2.dll

svcpack\wusetup.cat

svcpack\wusetup.exe

svcpack\wusetup.inf

svcpack\wuweb.dll

svcpack\en\eula.rtf

svcpack\en\msxml3r.dll

svcpack\en\wuapi.dll

svcpack\en\wuau.adm

svcpack\en\wuauclt.exe

svcpack\en\wuauclt1.exe

svcpack\en\wuaucpl.cpl

svcpack\en\wuaueng1.dll

svcpack\en\wuauhelp.chm

svcpack\en\wucltui.dll

svcpack\en\wusetupr.dll

We would then probably need to modify our svcpack.inf to the following:

[CatalogHeader]
[Version]
BuildNumber=2600
MinorVersion=1
MajorVersion=5
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\I386\svcpack"

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
KB893803v2.exe /q /n /z
wusetup.exe /wuforce /quiet /norestart      We changed this entry

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]
KB893803v2_wxp.cat
wusetup.cat                                 Do we need to add this entry?

However, what other files are optional and and not really needed I assume it is the following files msxml3.dll, msxml3r.dll, winhttp.dll, wuauserv.dll, and eula.rtf

Edited by Araknis

This thread is too long, people. I think the link to the multilingual WU 6 installer popped up on the second page. It's on this page too.

It takes 3 minutes to get rid of other languages with WinRar or 7-zip and make a silent SFX. Just install it whenever you want after Windows Installer 3.1.

Give me a good reason to bother with the integration unless you're RyanVM :)

Agreed VAD but v6 isn't the new Microsoft Update is it?

I would like to know (as I'm sure a few others would) what would be the best steps for a way of installing the following for both unattended CD and manual installation i.e. after windows has been installed (yes, I have my reasons ;))

- WU 6

- Microsoft Update

Both with no questions, prompts or anything else.

Is there a way of doing it that *doesnt* involve intergrating it into a CD install? If someone can point out a manual process for this (its late here ok - my brain has switched off tonight lol) then I'll repack it for us all and stick it with my other packages [see sig] :D

Hope this makes sense :)

I havent tried the thing I've made on a SP2 install yet - mainly as both my machines here already have WU6 & MU in them [is there a way of removing them so I can test my package?] - but I'll stick what I made so far on my apps site and if someone wants to get back to me as to whether it works or not on a non-WU6/MU install of SP2, then that would be very handy :)

Cheers all,

Nath

@it_ybd

IMHO, WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe (or silent SFX based on it) accomplishes the same thing some members have discussed throughout the thread. It installs WU6, so you aren't prompted to install new version of WU upon visiting the WU site. Integrating is a much lenghty process.

Ok, go ahead a give it a try http://rapidshare.de/files/2836032/wu6.exe.html

WU6 silent 7-zip SFX includes English and Russian languages only. I personally haven't tested it (too lazy to test my own work ;-), but nobody complained yet.

Ok... I'm with you on the WU6 bit - I've already got that bit "presumably" working in my package, but what about the Microsoft Update part?

How can we get that to work from the same package/file?

(I haven't used the .7zip method but it does the same thing most likely)

Cheers

N.

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate

v6 is just a newer form of WU but it isn't MU as v6 came out a while back whereas Microsoft Update fairly recently finished beta and the current v6 of WU has been given a grace period before you will be redirected to MU instead.

May as well be ahead of it I would guess :) - at least, I do :)

Cheers,

N.

To tell you the truth, I don't use WU at all. The link you provide is about Microsoft Update. New form of Windows Update? I'm not gonna find out. Whatever :)

IMHO, the discussion is (or was) about integrating WU6 as the title suggests, and that was the only reason I've posted here. Apologize, if I was wrong, but I have nothing to say about Microsoft Update.

I was only asking it because it had already been mentioned in this thread (despite the topic title). I wasn't meanin to digress further.

Your choice whether u look at it or not but like I said, MS will be diverting everyone to it soon so it makes no difference...

lol we'll still have to add it to our cd's lol ;) ;)

I'll not mention it again on this thread

Thanks for the replies tho :)

Cheers,

N.

Microsoft Update is definately a separate install to WU6... Anyone found a "nice" way of installing it yet?

I nice executable from MS would be appreciated, but I haven't had any luck finding one...