"Best Winamp Version"

TheBlackMan

I'm sure everybody will agree with me when I say that Winamp's best version was v2 because it was not bloated and had a small footprint. Now whether you like Winamp or not is a whole other story. Anyway, my question to you is which v2 was the best? Let me give you an example if you aren't following me. OldVersion.com has many versions of Winamp available for download, but should I download v2.81, v2.91, v2.95, etc.? Or maybe I should stick with v5.09 Lite? Your response is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'd say go for v5 lite. It's got a few bug fixes over the v2 line, and it's still supported on the winamp forums.

The memory footprint for both is about the same in my opinion. I haven't seen too much change.

If you do want to stick with v2, then 2.95 is the way to go. I found it to be the most stable in the craptastic days of v3.

Heh..heh...

If you read the "Minimum XP Project" i've done a bit of tweaking to winamp lite... it was created for a CarPC project of mine :thumbup and it works nice :)

But other than that, on my main desktop, i'm using WA5, with a pioneer cd skin :P

@ undeadsoldier: Where can I find more info about this "Minimum XP Project" as well as your CarPC project?

undeadsoldier's post in MinimumXP Proj

I'm using v 2.95, I have both 2.95 and 2.91, older versions on a disc around here somewhere.

Been happy w/2.95 many moons now.

@undeadsoldier- what version is yours based on, 2.79?

My version is based on 5.092 :)

When you run it, you should see the version number in the main winamp screen :)

I remember reading somewhere that everything above 2.81, until 5.06 has a bug when alt-tabbing from a fullscreen game. So 2.81 is a good one to use. Use the latest (5.092?) to play licensed WMA's. BTW, www.winampheaven.net is a great site.

you can't slipstream it, because it isn't a microsoft patch/product (although not all microsoft products slipstream, come to think of it.. can any microsoft product... hmmmm)

you can use the silent installer and install it that way *points to search button*

• 2 months later...

What's difference from 2.81, 2.91, and 2.95? I used 2.79 for a longgg time until friend told me about internet radio library built into 2.91. I've been using 2.91 for a long time now since that. Any advantage of 2.95 / 2.81 over 2.91?:huh: I've never used those 2 versions to see if they have internet radio library browser. I know there is a website to show these internet radio stations, but it's nice to have that built in.

Edited by matthewk