98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

It was just wat I read. Now I have tried to duplicate the "bug" and I'm not able to do it - in Windows XP, the file is saved as ANSI and opened as ANSI, everything as expected, so I don't know what the "bug" is about??

I have followed the steps exactly.

Alright Petr. The steps they mention are not accurate. Here's how I got the XP version of Notepad to choke on that bug-

1. Right-click on an empty area on the Desktop, select New, then choose Text Document (just leave the newly created TXT file named New Text Document.txt).

2. Open Notepad by double-clicking on the New Text Document.txt file and type in "AAAA BBB CCC DDDDD" (without the quotes) and Close Notepad & Save your changes.

3. Now double-click on New Text Document.txt. Notepad should just display "□□□□□□□□□" instead of the letters I mentioned earlier.

Again, a reminder that ONLY the Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003 & Vista editions of Notepad have this problem.

Edited by erpdude8

Alright Petr. The steps they mention are not accurate. Here's how I got the XP version of Notepad to choke on that bug-

1. Right-click on an empty area on the Desktop, select New, then choose Text Document (just leave the newly created TXT file named New Text Document.txt).

2. Open Notepad by double-clicking on the New Text Document.txt file and type in "AAAA BBB CCC DDDDD" (without the quotes) and Close Notepad & Save your changes.

3. Now double-click on New Text Document.txt. Notepad should just display "□□□□□□□□□" instead of the letters I mentioned earlier.

Again, a reminder that ONLY the Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003 & Vista editions of Notepad have this problem.

Thank you, the bug works now, I don't know what I did wrong, maybe new line at the end of the line.

And as I mentioned earlier, the problem is not with the saving of the file, it is saved as ANSI as I'd expect because there are no special characters, but Notpad has problem with opening of the file - it incorrectly thinks that it is Unicode file.

Petr

I'm sure MS06-033 can be installed on 9x/ME, but only if .net Framework 2.0 is installed.

Other than that, that's it.

Little update to those who use IE6 SP1: I'm going to be making unofficial updates starting with the August updates. Maybe even for DirectX/WMP, but that depends if there are any.

the_guy

There are two files that should be used in the graphic filters package:

png32.flt 2003.1100.8029

gifimp32.flt 2003.1100.8020

All packages contain the same files:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/f...ullfile-enu.exe

http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/c...ullFile-ENU.exe

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/b...ullFile-ENU.exe

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows 95; Windows 98; Windows ME; Windows NT; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP

Petr

Little update to those who use IE6 SP1: I'm going to be making unofficial updates starting with the August updates. Maybe even for DirectX/WMP, but that depends if there are any.

the_guy

I've created a June 2006 directX installer, and have tested it. It's just slimmed down a bit from the official download available @ microsoft. All NT components have been removed... as an SFX, it's 33mb compressed.

It will be included in the Win9x Power Pack compilation.

Also: Where can I get the last beta of the WinMe Unofficial SP?

There are two files that should be used in the graphic filters package:

png32.flt 2003.1100.8029

gifimp32.flt 2003.1100.8020

Petr

Thanks, Petr.

Done:

* Microsoft Paint Add-on Import + Export Graphic Filters Pack Installer for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003 [1.68 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/GRPHFLTS.EXE

You have replaced ADVPACK.DLL 6.0.2900.2172

with ADVPACK.DLL 5.0.2013.1301 in this latest release

I'm sure MS06-033 can be installed on 9x/ME, but only if .net Framework 2.0 is installed.

Other than that, that's it.

the_guy

This could work:

MS06-033 -Vulnerability in ASP.NET KB917283 for Windows 98/ME

1.) Install .NET Framework 2.0

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.as...%2fdotnetfx.exe

2.)Install KB917283 for .NET Framework 2.0

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.as...2fMS06-033.mspx

I just found out that it does NOT work. I could make an installer for .net 2 with the update integrated, which would work on 98/SE/ME, as well as 2000/xp/2003. It might work, it might not as well though.

the_guy

Forget about it, this bulletin was from June 13, they haven't posted the fixes for July 11 yet. :(

Hate to say this MDGx but there are NO July 11 security updates for Win98/ME. MS has officially dropped all support for Win98/ME.

Wonder if you would like to make a "Win2000 updates + patches + hotfixes" thread in the Hotstream forum?

The last patch Tuesday for Windows 98 / 98SE / Me is here - an there are no patches for these operating systems: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms06-jul.mspx

Or missed I anything?

Petr

Like I told MDGx, NO security patches released on July 11 for Win98/98se/ME because Microsoft ended support for Windows 98/ME on July 11 (probably at 12am midnight).

Edited by erpdude8

MDGx will also need to modify the names of the unofficial KB832353 Media Player updates and I have tested these unofficial WMP 832353 patches on my machines.

First of all "Unofficial WMP 6.4/7.0/7.1 Patch" should be titled "Unofficial WMP 6.4/7.1 Patch" as it will NOT work for WMP 7.0. I've found out that this unofficial WMP patch [WM832353.EXE] will only work if WMP 7.1 is installed. If WMP 6.4 is installed and NOT WMP 7.1, the LaunchWMPInf.exe file in WM832353.EXE will do NOTHING; NO files will be updated. Ditto for "Unofficial WMP 6.4/7.0/7.1/9.0 Patch" as that should be changed to "Unofficial WMP 6.4/7.1/9.0 Patch" < for this one [MP832353.EXE] to work, either WMP 7.1 or WMP 9 has to be installed AND should work under ALL versions of Win98, NOT just the SE edition.

If WMP 6.4 is installed only and NOT WMP 7.1 or 9.0 use the Q832353.EXE file to update Media Player 6.4 as the WM832353.EXE and MP832353.EXE files will NOT update WMP 6.4 alone. Description of this titled "Unofficial WMP 6.4 Patch for Windows 95/OSR1/OSR2" should be changed to "Unofficial WMP 6.4 Patch for Windows 95/98/98 SE/ME" when updating WMP 6.4 only.

Edited by erpdude8

I just found out that it does NOT work. I could make an installer for .net 2 with the update integrated, which would work on 98/SE/ME, as well as 2000/xp/2003. It might work, it might not as well though.

the_guy

I still wonder why it doesn't work MS listed Windows 98/SE/ME as supported OSs

for .NET 2.0 :unsure:

win98net201ua.th.jpg

Edited by winxpi