98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

the msn gaming zone for xp works with 98se

newer faster and better

Yes, I know, but if using the XP files the settings are not kept [like chat, sound, etc], you need to reset them [including the starting nag boxes] every time you run those game executables.

All settings remain the same way they were set last if using WinME files.

BTW:

I haven't noticed any faster performance when using the XP files.

Edited by MDGx

Jeez, I think we can just go to the gaming zone and play all these without the shortcuts, no? They just were put there for advertising reasons to get folks to check out the zone. Nobody will miss the XP version of the shortcuts, I suspect.
Actually those shortcuts strictly allow people to play those 5 games with other opponents throughout the internet, there is no link/advertising/promo/etc to the MSN gaming zone or any other web site.

At least that's what happens when 1 installs 98SE2ME options 1 or 2. ;)

The only way you can go to the MSN gaming zone web site is if you click from within each game: Help -> "Game_name on the Web".

And I took a look [out of curiosity] at the MSN gaming site, most of those games are either crippled shareware [try-b4-u-buy] or pay-per-game, only few are completely free(ware).

The 5 games shortcuts installed by 98SE2ME are 100% free.

I've got MCIQTZ.DRV and MCIQTZ32.DLL in the System folder, but no MCIQTZ.DLL. Maybe that's it? Why do I have the 32 bit dll and some systems have the MCIQTZ without the 32? Maybe the MCIQTZ.DLL is replaced by the 32 bit one by some update I apply but some folks don't?
To my knowledge there is no MCIQTZ.DLL file in any edition of Win9x/ME or their updates.

BTW: DirecX 9.0c installs newest builds of MCIQTZ.DRV + MCIQTZ32.DLL.

I guess Marius '95 typed the DLL name without "32" by mistake. He probably meant MCIQTZ32.DLL.

Edited by MDGx

different topic

have you thought about changin tha interface look for 98se2me

now i know it changes with option 3

but i mean like creatin somethin new with like a vista xp look or somethin

like the translucent windows in screenshots its really unique

just ideas for you 2 create the ultimate package all n 1

don't mean 2 pressure u

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

different topic

have you thought about changin tha interface look for 98se2me

now i know it changes with option 3

but i mean like creatin somethin new with like a vista xp look or somethin

like the translucent windows in screenshots its really unique

just ideas for you 2 create the ultimate package all n 1

don't mean 2 pressure u

Sorry mate, 98SE2ME is strictly a Win98SE to WinME "upgrade" pack, not an interface lift/tweak package. To get UI/shell enhancements, alpha blending, transparency etc you want Tihiy's RP:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=58357

If you have ever read through my 98SE2ME guide:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#KRM9S

you may have noticed that I also recommend a few files from XP SP2 + WMP10 XP as replacements that work with 98SE. But that's as far as 1 can go. NTx OSes are very different, most core files do not work with 9x OSes.

If it could have been done otherwise, I'm sure by now some1 would have done it already.

Hope this helps.

P.S.:

To make 9x/ME/2000 desktop look more like "XP/Vista" style, you can d/l + install Ultimate XP Theme:

http://www.mdgx.com/bin.htm#UXP

You know, I've mean't to bring this up but always seem to forget. Has anyone noticed the same problem?

When using 98SE2ME the hardware driver detection and install process suffers from long delays. I just experienced this again when updating my ATI driver to the just released Catalyst 6.2 for 9x so it reminded me. I generally have all my drivers installed before using 98SE2ME so that's why I seem to forget to bring it up.

What I'm talking about is that the system actually freezes between each step. I just need to wait, like forever, for things to resume. And even the steps themselves happen extremely slowly.

It's happened every single time there is a driver install on any system that I have put 98SE2ME on.

This time, with the Catalysts, the ATI setup program actually froze Windows after completing everything except for the final message that tells you to reboot the system. You know, the InstallShield (or, whatever they use) screen that asks you whether you want to restart now. This didn't come up as the system froze I believe just before it would have, so I needed to reset the computer. I say it was just prior to this because everything the ATI program installs was there and fully functional after I started up again, including the add/remove references in Windows control panel (generally the last thing installed by these sorts of programs).

Do you think it would work to not replace the 98 hardware driver manager files with 98SE2ME? The ME files don't really work smoothly. I guess they work, but a freezing Windows I would think would potentially muck up these driver installs in some cases. Even though they've worked for me, I can see where they might mess up if Windows in constanly freezing and unfreezing.

Or, is this not possible because these files have other files that are dependent upon them?

You know, I've mean't to bring this up but always seem to forget. Has anyone noticed the same problem?

When using 98SE2ME the hardware driver detection and install process suffers from long delays. I just experienced this again when updating my ATI driver to the just released Catalyst 6.2 for 9x so it reminded me. I generally have all my drivers installed before using 98SE2ME so that's why I seem to forget to bring it up.

What I'm talking about is that the system actually freezes between each step. I just need to wait, like forever, for things to resume. And even the steps themselves happen extremely slowly.

It's happened every single time there is a driver install on any system that I have put 98SE2ME on.

This time, with the Catalysts, the ATI setup program actually froze Windows after completing everything except for the final message that tells you to reboot the system. You know, the InstallShield (or, whatever they use) screen that asks you whether you want to restart now. This didn't come up as the system froze I believe just before it would have, so I needed to reset the computer. I say it was just prior to this because everything the ATI program installs was there and fully functional after I started up again, including the add/remove references in Windows control panel (generally the last thing installed by these sorts of programs).

Do you think it would work to not replace the 98 hardware driver manager files with 98SE2ME? The ME files don't really work smoothly. I guess they work, but a freezing Windows I would think would potentially muck up these driver installs in some cases. Even though they've worked for me, I can see where they might mess up if Windows in constanly freezing and unfreezing.

Or, is this not possible because these files have other files that are dependent upon them?

Thanks for your bug report.

This is experimental, please try this see if it works, and let me know. Thanks.

I have removed these 4 files from 98SE2ME [%windir%\SYSTEM]:

DEVMGR32.DLL

ENABLE3.DLL

HWAGENT.DLL

IOSCLASS.DLL

98SE2ME.EXE:

http://www.mdgx.com/4

From now on please use the original Win98 SE files from the setup CD, which can be restored by running this batch file:

@ECHO OFF
EXTRACT/Y D:\WIN98\WIN98_28.CAB DEVMGR32.DLL /L %windir%\SYSTEM
EXTRACT/Y D:\WIN98\WIN98_29.CAB ENABLE3.DLL /L %windir%\SYSTEM
EXTRACT/Y D:\WIN98\WIN98_30.CAB HWAGENT.DLL /L %windir%\SYSTEM
EXTRACT/Y D:\WIN98\WIN98_31.CAB IOSCLASS.DLL /L %windir%\SYSTEM
CLS
EXIT

D used as example, must change CD/DVD drive letter if different on your computer.

Reboot after running the batch, and then (re)install your video drivers to see if it works.

If everything works properly now, no more delays, then please take the time to replace these 4 files 1 at a time back with their WinME counterparts [then reboot after each change], and see which one is the culprit for those freezes/delays.

WinME setup CD files locations:

EXTRACT/Y D:\WIN9X\WIN_10.CAB DEVMGR32.DLL /L %windir%\SYSTEM
EXTRACT/Y D:\WIN9X\WIN_11.CAB ENABLE3.DLL /L %windir%\SYSTEM
EXTRACT/Y D:\WIN9X\WIN_11.CAB HWAGENT.DLL /L %windir%\SYSTEM
EXTRACT/Y D:\WIN9X\WIN_11.CAB IOSCLASS.DLL /L %windir%\SYSTEM

Greatly appreciate your time + concern.

Thanks again.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

After all the experimenting the file that slows everything down is the first one, the DEVMGR32.DLL. I now have that file in the 98SE version, and the rest in the Windows Me version and detection and installation go at the normal speeds without freezing or waiting.

I did all the testing by just removing the monitors and display adapters from device manager and rebooting. I didn't go through the whole ATI install/uninstall routine.

Now, to fix things proper after the testing I did need to uninstall all ATI stuff, reboot to safe mode, run drivercleaner, boot up and install ATI. This is because a device manager installation of ATI drivers does not install Smartgart (never has).

So, with ATI MMC and all this whole thing took the whole afternoon!

But, that's it. You can just leave DEVMGR32.DLL out of 98SE2ME. The other files didn't seem to have any effect one way or the other.

To expound on remaining weirdness, after ATI's official uninstall it leaves Standard Graphics Adapter (VGA) and Standard Graphics Adapter (for the secondary display) under Display Properties. Now, those should be Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) and Standard PCI Graphics Adapter. In the past, with my older ATI cards like the 9600XT and prior to that the 7500, to set this properly I would update the drivers to those before rebooting after the ATI uninstall.

So I tried that this time. Windows SAYS it installed the Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA), etc, but it doesn't change what is displayed. It still reads Standard Graphics Adapter (VGA), etc.

Upon rebooting to safe mode and running DriverCleaner the same listings exist. BUT, after restarting to normal Windows an error message states my adapter isn't working properly and then the display properties appears. There is nothing listed, no Display Adapters heading, nothing there for the monitors, nothing at all regarding my videocard in device manager. Even in Safe Mode! If I reboot there it's just nothing listed.

There is no way to fix this. Interestingly, the display device listed in System.ini is now the Radeon x850 Series rather than the Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) that had been there before the ATI uninstall.

In normal Windows the display properties advanced lists an unknown device on an unknown monitor. Attempting to change the unknown device, there is no heading for Display Adapters among the hardware listings. They do not exist under any of the other heading either.

Running the ATI Catalyst 6.2 setup program, and reseting my computer after it freezes just before ending fixes everything. Or, at least it did this the first time (about a week ago when I updated from the Catalyst 5.9 to the new 6.2). This time the heading in device manager for my display adapters simply reads DISPLAY. And, this time it left the System.ini display listing as Radeon x850 Series.

So, I have nothing called Display Adapters in device manager, just DISPLAY, under which all the proper ATI adapters are correctly installed.

And, the reinstall of ATI MMC went fine and everything works as before.

Changing DEVMGR32.DLL back to the 98SE version worked, as there is now no delay between each step of the hardware detection and driver install process. But there are issues, almost certainly not related to 98SE2ME, regarding this particular videocard and the ATI driver setup.

Perhaps DriverCleaner was overzealous in removing some stuff from Windows. Something is not right, with that DISPLAY heading there now and also not being able to install any display adapters without the ATI setup program.

For your information, when Windows installs with this card it does set up with the Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) and the Standard PCI Graphics Adapter. But after uninstalling the ATI drivers and using DriverCleaner, there is no way to use the display without the ATI driver. All the display adapters are non-existant!

Strange stuff, eh?

All working now, except for that weird "DISPLAY" catagory instead of "Display Adapters."

Edited by Eck

Here's what I just posted in the DriverHeaven Tools forum regarding DriverCleaner -

Following using DriverCleanerPro4, 98SE no longer has any Display Adapters to install among all the listed drivers in the AddNewHardwareWizard.

I discovered that following an uninstall of my ATI Radeon x850Pro driver. Upon reboot to normal mode after the safe mode DriverCleaner use, Windows reports that the drivers controlling my display adapters are not working correctly. Checking device manager, there is no more Display Adapter catagory nor any monitors installed. If I open Display Properties advanced, my card is listed as Unknown Device on Unknown Monitor. If I try to change the driver there, there is no catagory "Display Adapters" to select the Standard PCI Display Adapter (VGA) from. These sort of devices are not listed under any other catagory either.

The fix was to run ATI's setup of the Catalyst 6.2, which freezes just before the screen asking for a restart. I have to reset the computer, then upon Windows startup ALMOST everything is back to normal.

The weird thing left is that the catagory "Display Adapters" in device manager still does not exist. It is instead now called simply "DISPLAY." The ATI card drivers are correctly listed under this new catagory. Everything, including the WDM's and the fresh install of the ATI MMC 9.13 works perfectly.

It's just that I don't think Windows has any other display adapters anymore except for what ATI's setup installs in its new "DISPLAY" catagory.

I think something in DriverCleaner is removing what it shouldn't.

So, let's see if Spike (DriverCleaner maker) can come up with something.

98SE has its benefits over Windows Me. And anything less buggier caused by newer system files in the later released Windows Me are acquired by using 98SE2ME on a 98SE system.

The System Restore in Windows Me and the other associated System Health processes are very buggy and memory hoggy. Often when you need System Restore to work, it will fail and where 98SE might be able to recover, the Windows Me system will be unrecoverable after a failed System Restore and you need to format and start over.

98SE has a similar feature where you can restore the registry and the major system files by the use of scanreg /restore from an Ms-Dos command prompt. The OS automatically backs up the registry on the first boot of the calender day and holds 5 backups for you to choose from when using scanreg /restore.

System Restore also stores virus infected files and your virus scanner cannot remove them. You must turn off System Restore and thereby delete the old restore points to remove the infection.

So, many use a program called System Restore Remover Pro to purge Windows Me of probably the only useful addition it made to the 9x series. Unfortunately, the bugs weren't fixed until the Windows XP version of System Restore.

Many Windows Me users use one of the available hacks to get back the ability to boot to Ms-Dos Mode.

Windows 98SE is more easily updated as it doesn't stop you from doing so by Windows Me's System File Protection. SFP is a good thing in Windows XP, but Windows Me needs so many fixes that SFP is actually a nuisance when trying to figure out how to replace a newer signed system file with a bug fixed non-signed older version.

So, 98SE2ME is better because you can get the viable fixes of Windows Me without the headaches of it.

After all the experimenting the file that slows everything down is the first one, the DEVMGR32.DLL. I now have that file in the 98SE version, and the rest in the Windows Me version and detection and installation go at the normal speeds without freezing or waiting.
I have removed DEVMGR32.DLL from 98SE2ME.

Eck:

Thanks a lot for your hard work.

Edited by MDGx