98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

98SE2ME · UPDATED · 3-30-2006

Please see the top of this topic for most recent 98SE2ME update.

MDGx,

When installing option 3 it now dosen't ask for backup so no 98a files are created--option 2 does ask for backup. I installed option 2 with backup then option 3 on clean install of 98se/fresh drive and wasn't ask for backup on 3 so no backup files for 3 were created just 2.

Hope this helps the find problem.

-hi MDGX, sry this isn't related to 98se2me, but I wanted you to know to update your main site links:

AIM AD HACK HAS SOLD OUT TO AOL! :o:realmad:

-yup, as of today, 4-1-2006, we lost "one of our own"... sigh

...the Ad Hack site posts a "legal message"... check it out...

-so, your helpful links to that site should be updated, perhaps to MajorGeeks' download of

Aim Ad Hack 5.0 beta 20 (I think that may be the latest (LAST!) one made...)

again, sry to go off-topic here... (also just had to VENT this surprise discovery to SOMEONE...)

:puke:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Is there a killer replacement for ME to 98SE, or must 98SE be absolutely installed first? If possible, I don't want to reinstall all ME program applications on 98SE2ME

-There are ways to kill-off the "bad" stuff inside ME, other regular posters here will have more details about that... apparently, it works quite well... try searching these forums for details, or wait a bit, I'm sure they'll post about it here, again, too...

>;]

MDGx - Can you confirm that 98se2me only pulls files from the winme cd that have not been replaced by newer versions in windows me updates??

The reason I ask is that virtually every file on the ME cd has been replaced by a newer "bug fixed" version by MS at some point in one of the WINme updates. I read thru the entire thread but didn't see a definitive answer and just thought that I would ask as I wouldn't want to use any files off the winme cd unless absolutely necessary. If your 98se2me includes the updated versions of all the ME files and just pulls "non updated" files from the cd, I am ready to install.

-yup, he includes the updated files, often updating this project soon after the updated files are available...

...feel safe... it's all good...

>;]

Edited by PsycoUnc

the msn gaming zone for xp works with 98se

newer faster and better

Yes, I know, but if using the XP files the settings are not kept [like chat, sound, etc], you need to reset them [including the starting nag boxes] every time you run those game executables.

All settings remain the same way they were set last if using WinME files.

BTW:

I haven't noticed any faster performance when using the XP files.

I found that after the second time of settin them you don't have to set them anymore.

Just in case you change your mind.

Have you ever consider replacing Character Map with Extended Character Map.

I got it from your site.I aware of its existence others may not be.

the msn gaming zone for xp works with 98se

newer faster and better

Yes, I know, but if using the XP files the settings are not kept [like chat, sound, etc], you need to reset them [including the starting nag boxes] every time you run those game executables.

All settings remain the same way they were set last if using WinME files.

BTW:

I haven't noticed any faster performance when using the XP files.

I found that after the second time of settin them you don't have to set them anymore.

Just in case you change your mind.

Have you ever consider replacing Character Map with Extended Character Map.

I got it from your site.I aware of its existence others may not be.

989SE2ME's sole purpose is to replace 98 SE files with ME files. Please see READ1ST.TXT [the FAQ section] for more details:

READ1ST.TXT

That's why 98SE2ME does not replace Windows files with XP or 3rd party tools.

Extended character map is a 3rd party tool, which abides by the author's copyright license [whichever that is].

98SE2ME uses very carefully a few free(ware) tools, and only to help with install issues.

The only exception is Notepad, replaced by PFE32. That's because I consider MS Notepad useless as a text editor/viewer tool, and must be replaced by something better that can open files larger than 64 KB.

If I [ever] find the time to write + post unattended scripts to replace XP files [something like 98SE2XP], then I will add the GameZone files to it.

Hope this helps.

Is there a killer replacement for ME to 98SE, or must 98SE be absolutely installed first? If possible, I don't want to reinstall all ME program applications on 98SE2ME
I believe your questions are answered in READ1ST.TXT: ;)

READ1ST.TXT

Hope this helps.

-hi MDGX, sry this isn't related to 98se2me, but I wanted you to know to update your main site links:

AIM AD HACK HAS SOLD OUT TO AOL! :o:realmad:

-yup, as of today, 4-1-2006, we lost "one of our own"... sigh

...the Ad Hack site posts a "legal message"... check it out...

-so, your helpful links to that site should be updated, perhaps to MajorGeeks' download of

Aim Ad Hack 5.0 beta 20 (I think that may be the latest (LAST!) one made...)

again, sry to go off-topic here... (also just had to VENT this surprise discovery to SOMEONE...)

Is there a chance that that was an April 1st fools prank? ;)

Please see AIM Ad Hack web site [as of 4-3-2006]:

http://aftermath.dyndns.org:8888/~aimadhack/

or:

http://aimadhack.webhop.net/

Hope this helps.

Please post all non-related 98SE2ME issues here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=8

Thanks.

After installing 98SE2ME on my Dutch Win98SE (yes, I changed the CAB files), everything still works. Okay, everything except my sound card...

It gives the following error:

The NTKERN.VXD,MMDEVLDR device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2)

(or something like that)

It is a VIA Vinyl (details needed?) on-board sound card, installed with 98SE drivers. Updating the driver does not help, as it IS the latest version. Also re-installing the driver does not help.

Could someone help?

Greets,

Bas

EDIT: Okay, fixed it by manually specifying the location of the drivers, and choosing the VXD drivers, instead of the WDM drivers.

Edited by NetworkService

-aimadhack: yup, thought it might be april fools joke, but was scared anyway... lol... these days, ya just never know who's gonna sell-out... (or get legally forced-out)

>;]

(-and thx for the off-topic-redirection, I see some interesting stuff there already...)

-aimadhack: yup, thought it might be april fools joke, but was scared anyway... lol... these days, ya just never know who's gonna sell-out... (or get legally forced-out)
True.

Glad it was only a joke. ;)

If same name files already present in %windir%\INF, new ones will be renamed to *ME.INF.

What does this mean - do I delete old *.inf and replace with the new *me.inf since they are the newer files and this update was to install the new *.inf -- ONLY IF THAT FILE WAS NOT ON DRIVE even if it was older?

THANKS, Charlie

If same name files already present in %windir%\INF, new ones will be renamed to *ME.INF.
What does this mean - do I delete old *.inf and replace with the new *me.inf since they are the newer files and this update was to install the new *.inf -- ONLY IF THAT FILE WAS NOT ON DRIVE even if it was older?

THANKS, Charlie

That means the newer INFs from WinME CABs will be installed into %windir%\INF side by side with the existing ones you already have, nothing is deleted, and if you already have INFs with same names, they will be renamed with *ME.INF, e.g.:

HIDDEV.INF => if this INF is already present in %windir%\INF it will be renamed to HIDDEVME.INF and then will be copied to %windir%\INF after reboot.

This way you will have both, because Win98SE INFs may have vendor IDs that may have been removed from WinME INFs [or the other way around].

And when you install a new USB/WDM/FireWire device, Windows Hardware Wizard will search *all* INFs from %windir%\INF for specific vendor IDs.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

The 98SE2ME work on Windows 98 SE Spanish??
The 1st post [top] of the 98SE2ME forum:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46349

has your answer:

Everything here is for English language ONLY.
For more details please see READ1ST.TXT:

READ1ST.TXT

Even more details:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#KRM9S

If you wish to mod/adapt/tweak + recompile 98SE2ME for any language other than English, please see INNOFILE.TXT:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/INNOFILE.ZIP

Hope this helps.

Does the Windows Automatic Updating from Win ME work on Win98.

I think its better. If so can you add it and Upnp if possible

BTW I"m using WIN ME for testin if any one need a guinea pig.

As far as I can recall WU from WinME didn't work on my Win98 SE computer. :(

But please feel free to try this on your computer.

All you need is a WinME CD or CABs.

Then run this batch file [example]:

@ECHO OFF
MD C:\BKPWIN98
MD C:\BKPWIN98\SYSTEM
COPY/Y %windir%\WU*.* C:\BKPWIN98
COPY/Y %windir%\SYSTEM\WU*.* C:\BKPWIN98\SYSTEM
EXTRACT.EXE /Y /A D:\WIN9X\BASE2.CAB WU*.* /L C:\WUWINME
EXTRACT.EXE /Y D:\WIN9X\PRECOPY1.CAB WU*.* /L C:\WUWINME
START /W RUNDLL32 %windir%\SYSTEM\ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection C:\WUWINME\WUPDATE.INF,Register.WU
%windir%\RUNDLL32.EXE %windir%\RUNDLL32 %windir%\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 2
CLS
EXIT

Replace D:\WIN9X with your own drive + folder where the WinME CABs reside if different.

If this doesn't work, you can always restore original WU*.* files from C:\BKPWIN98 + C:\BKPWIN98\SYSTEM [see above].

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx