98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

O.K I've fixed the "Dialog Box" problem (No actually YOU did). The problem WAS with Commdlg.dll, like you said. I'm not sure why it didn't work when I replaced it before, maybe because I only replaced the dll in \System folder and not in \Sysbckup folder. Anyway, it's fixed now. Thank you.

O.K I've fixed the "Dialog Box" problem (No actually YOU did). The problem WAS with Commdlg.dll, like you said. I'm not sure why it didn't work when I replaced it before, maybe because I only replaced the dll in \System folder and not in \Sysbckup folder. Anyway, it's fixed now. Thank you.
You're welcome.

Glad you found the fix.

Hey MDGx, I'm back.

That computer I put 98SE2ME on was having some problems, I have a strong feeling its with the ME explorer and the rest of option 3. However, I cannot restore my old files. I've tried to remove option 3 both ways and nothing happened. Then I booted into dos, ran the restore to restore all of my old 98SE files it said it moved 98SEOLD back into C:\Windows and moved my 98SE2ME to 98SENEW. When I boot back up, I still have everything (option 3 included) installed. How can I fix this?

-sounds like u must have performed 98se2me's Backup option twice, overwriting the orig 98se backup with the current "ME"-mod... if so, then you'll have to rely on any backups you have made yourself... (-you DID follow healthy puter practices by having your own 98se backups, before trying 98se2me, right? ;) lol... hope so!)

>;]

(ps: same thing for option 3; previous versions of 98se2me would overwrite the orig 98se files, if u ran option #3 more than once... killing your chance to undo #3...)

gl

Edited by PsycoUnc

I was certain I did not overwrite my original save files, as I realized in option 3 that backing up would overwrite my original files. And I am 110% certain I didn't do option 3 twice, so therefore even if my original backups had been overwritten, I'd still have the 98SE2ME without option 3 installed right? So I think something is messed up here, but thanks for bringing that point up.

-ah, ok... sry if I sounded insulting, wasn't sure of your tech expertise... so much "dummy-proofing" is required for the teeming masses (even I mistakenly assumed that re-installing option 3 would not overwrite the previous backup; I thought the procedure was sufficiently "dummy-proofed" (generational backups), and ended up unpleasantly surprised :blushing: ... it was my over-assumption which prodded MDGx to better "dummy-proof" his Option 3 in recent versions...)

...... Hmmmm..... more thought on this matter is required, yet after 6 beers in the past 90 mins (on an empty stomach), I find my cognitive concentration even flakier than usual :wacko::P ... will think about it further when I "come-to" in the morning, if I even remember this post... >;]

Hello MDGx,

i'd like to contnue translating the 98se2me pack but i have a little problem, i'can't find a french version of the sysdm.cpl file version 4.90.3000, i tried to translate it myself, as i did it for the windows 98 version but it didn't work.

Do you were i could find that file?

Thanks for your answer.

MAtze

Hey MDGx, I'm back.

That computer I put 98SE2ME on was having some problems, I have a strong feeling its with the ME explorer and the rest of option 3. However, I cannot restore my old files. I've tried to remove option 3 both ways and nothing happened. Then I booted into dos, ran the restore to restore all of my old 98SE files it said it moved 98SEOLD back into C:\Windows and moved my 98SE2ME to 98SENEW. When I boot back up, I still have everything (option 3 included) installed. How can I fix this?

If the ME files [after you installed option 1 or 2] exist in C:\W98SEOLD , that means you installed 98SE2ME [option 1 or 2] more than 1 time, and you also selected to create a backup of your original 98SE every time, which has overwritten the original 98SE files in C:\W98SEOLD with ME files.

The backup in C:\W98SEOLD has nothing to do with option 3.

The backup in C:\W98SEOLD can be used to restore your entire original 98SE OS only if you installed option 1 or 2.

All other options [from 3 up to 7] have their own [separate] backup + restore procedures.

All this is fully documented in READ1ST.TXT [100 KB] under the "98SE2ME.PIF COMPLETE GUIDE" chapter:

READ1ST.TXT

Option 3 does not backup any files in C:\W98SEOLD, but in %windir% and %windir%\SYSTEM, and the backup procedure for option 3 is completely different from options 1 and 2.

All files necessary to restore files replaced by option 3 are stored in %windir%\INF :

RSTR3F.BAT

RSTR3F.INF

ATTRIB.COM

FIND.COM

MEM.EXE

GETVER.EXE

All files replaced by option 3 are backed up as:

%windir%\*.98A

%windir%\SYSTEM\*.98A

If all files installed by option 3 are found [from a previous option 3 installation], option 3 is not installed over, but if even 1 file is missing, option 3 is installed over, even if u already installed option 3 at least once before.

Original 98SE files replaced by option 3 can be restored 2 ways:

1. Open Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> select "98SE2ME Option 3:

Restore Win98 SE Explorer, Shell32 + UI" -> click Add/Remove button -> reboot.

2. Or run [%windir% = usually C:\WINDOWS]:

%windir%\INF\RSTR3F.BAT

and then reboot.

Hope this helps.

i'd like to contnue translating the 98se2me pack but i have a little problem, i'can't find a french version of the sysdm.cpl file version 4.90.3000, i tried to translate it myself, as i did it for the windows 98 version but it didn't work.

Sorry, I don't have the French sysdm.cpl, and I don't know where to get it from. :(

Original 98SE files replaced by option 3 can be restored 2 ways:

1. Open Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> select "98SE2ME Option 3:

Restore Win98 SE Explorer, Shell32 + UI" -> click Add/Remove button -> reboot.

2. Or run [%windir% = usually C:\WINDOWS]:

%windir%\INF\RSTR3F.BAT

and then reboot.

Hope this helps.

No go MGDx, but I think I'll just reformat.

Nice id*** proofing in the update.

• 2 weeks later...

First time user of option 3 & I find myself locked out of Control Panel with message: "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator" What have I done wrong? This is a single user machine, never setup anything but 1 user, so, what now? TIAFAI

PS: am using 10-13-05 ver 98se2ME

Edited by randiroo76073

Don't know nothing about the French version, but in the German version you'll find it in win_9.cab in the directory win9x of the original installation CD. I guess it must be on the french CD, too.

Don't know nothing about the French version, but in the German version you'll find it in win_9.cab in the directory win9x of the original installation CD. I guess it must be on the french CD, too.

I believe WebMatze meant the updated sysdm.cpl build 4.90.3001 from MS hotfix Q272620:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=272620

found here [English only :(]:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#WME

Hope this helps.

First time user of option 3 & I find myself locked out of Control Panel with message: "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator" What have I done wrong? This is a single user machine, never setup anything but 1 user, so, what now? TIAFAI

PS: am using 10-13-05 ver 98se2ME

I installed option 3 [10-13-2005 98SE2ME edition] on my 98SE setup [heavily tweaked, running 98SE2ME option 2] and also on a new, from scratch install of 98SE.

In both cases I could access Control Panel and all its applets ok 3 ways:

- from Start button Settings menu

- from Control Panel folder tweak:

http://www.mdgx.com/last3.htm#SYSFOL

- by running CONTROL.EXE.

Sorry, can't reproduce the bug you experienced.

Maybe there is some other software/update/pack/hotfix/driver/tool/tweak/game/etc on your computer that generates that error?

Maybe your OS has some system restrictions in place to prevent running certain system applets/tools/features/etc?

More info on system restrictions:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip9.htm#RESTRICT

Hope this helps.

Thanks for reply MDGx, your link http://www.mdgx.com/newtip9.htm#RESTRICT set me on track to fix. Here is what I did[for posterity] Opened regedit in my puter & wifes puter[for comparision, hers only has USP 2.2]

My puter

Went to HKLM/Software/Microsoft/windows/Current Version/Policies, found 4 keys there: NonEnum, Network, Ratings, WinOldApp[NonEnum not on wifes] exported NonEnum to desktop & deleted key from Reg. On hunch next went to HKU/Default/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Policies, 3 keys: comdlg32, Explorer, WinOldApp. Opened Explorer, found Dword: NoControlPanel = hex value, exported & deleted entry. Now have working Control Panel :thumbup

Thanks for all your hard work on 98SE2ME, it's a great prgm & now that I've finally tried it I'll be using opt 3 too.