98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

Does the Windows Automatic Updating from Win ME work on Win98.

I think its better. If so can you add it and Upnp if possible

BTW I"m using WIN ME for testin if any one need a guinea pig.

no, PROBLEMCHYLD. Automatic Updates NEVER works under Win98. The ACTUAL Windows Update site does NOT allow automatic updating under ALL 98 systems. Automatic Updates only work under Win2000 SP3/SP4, WinME, XP & 2003.

It's up to microsoft to redo their windows update site to make automatic updates work for other versions of windows.

about UPNP under Win98. copy the netsetup.exe file from the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ folder onto a floppy disk. Put the FD into a Win98 machine and run the netsetup.exe file, which will install some UPNP files onto Win98.

Edited by erpdude8

Does the Windows Automatic Updating from Win ME work on Win98.

I think its better. If so can you add it and Upnp if possible

BTW I"m using WIN ME for testin if any one need a guinea pig.

no, PROBLEMCHYLD. Automatic Updates NEVER works under Win98. The ACTUAL Windows Update site does NOT allow automatic updating under ALL 98 systems. Automatic Updates only work under Win2000 SP3/SP4, WinME, XP & 2003.

It's up to microsoft to redo their windows update site to make automatic updates work for other versions of windows.

about UPNP under Win98. copy the netsetup.exe file from the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ folder onto a floppy disk. Put the FD into a Win98 machine and run the netsetup.exe file, which will install some UPNP files onto Win98.

But maybe its good it doesn't work,cause the Windows Automatic Updating could also make problems on installing updates automatically.

Like with Windows XP and the update from ms06-015 when you remember what happened at many users systems afterward.

Edited by winxpi

? If i'm usin 98SE2ME should i use Upnp from WinME or Win98.

& would it b a problem 2 add DeskMenu from win95 powertoys Its really useful.I ask becuz I like things

2 be unattended so i don't screw up anything.Can u consider it please?.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

? If i'm usin 98SE2ME should i use Upnp from WinME or Win98.

& would it b a problem 2 add DeskMenu from win95 powertoys Its really useful.I ask becuz I like things

2 be unattended so i don't screw up anything.Can u consider it please?

I presume you are referring to this update:

* Microsoft Windows ME + ICS UPnP Unchecked Buffer System Compromise SSDPAPI.DLL, UPNP.DLL + SSDPSRV.EXE build 4.90.3003 Security Vulnerability Fix:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms01-059.mspx

Direct download [223 KB, English]:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/win.../314757USAM.EXE

More info:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314757

I have never tried UPnP on Win98 SE.

IMO the WinME UPnP files may depend on some other WinME core/kernel/system files, so it's hard to say [without experimenting] if this will work or not.

If you intend to try it, make sure you make a full backup of your Win98 SE OS first.

98SE2ME has a shortcut [which doesn't require to run 98SE2ME.PIF] just for that purpose under:

- Start button -> Programs -> 98SE2ME -> run "BACKUP Original Windows 98 SE SE OS" shortcut.

OR:

- (Double)-click on C:\9!M\CLONE98.PIF .

See "BACKUP + RESTORE WINDOWS 98 SE" chapter in READ1ST.TXT for more details:

READ1ST.TXT

You may need to download 98SE2ME.EXE again to get all these "new features":

http://www.mdgx.com/4

If UPnP works in 98SE, please post here your findings/bugs/fixes/guides/etc.

Thanks.

Good luck.

Automatic Updates NEVER works under Win98. The ACTUAL Windows Update site does NOT allow automatic updating under ALL 98 systems. Automatic Updates only work under Win2000 SP3/SP4, WinME, XP & 2003.
Actually automatic updates [WU ActiveX detection + file installation] works ok on my Win98 SE computer and on another PC I know of.

To my knowledge any Win98 SE PC that is properly configured can access and benefit from automatic WU.

WU doesn't work with Win98 FE or older.

The only time it didn't work on my PC, was after I installed newest URLMON.DLL from Q912812 [MS06-013].

After I reinstalled older URLMON.DLL from Q905915 [MS05-054], WU started to work again.

The new registry settings added by MS06-013 patch [even if removed] didn't make any difference.

More details on this bug here:

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm#IEC

P.S.:

According to an e-mail report I have received recently, it seems that newest URLMON.DLL also screws up MS Office Update [OU] web site ActiveX detection [under Win98 SE OS]:

http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/maincatalog.aspx

I don't have any MS Office editions installed, so I can't actually test this.

Hope this helps.

With the Kernel Update Project installed

will that help improve some of the functions in option 3

or is option 3 not needed if 1 have the Kernel Update Project

installed.

I haven't "played around" with the KernelXP project, therefore I don't know.

But please feel free to experiment [backup 1st] and then post here your findings.

Thanks.

Edit:

On a second thought, KernelXP has nothing to do with 98SE2ME option 3.

KernelXP brings NTx specific APIs to 9x OSes.

98SE2ME option 3 installs UI, Explorer, Shell, Dialog, Folders, Web Browser, Fonts, Effects, Documents, Scrap + Network Drives Integration Controls, OLE DLLs + APIs from WinME setup CD, and as you may already know, WinME doesn't have any NTx APIs that Win98 SE can't handle. ;)

That's because WinME is just another 9x OS, and to my knowledge has no NTx specific APIs, except very primitive NT kernel APIs built into NTDLL.DLL, necessary to handle very basic functions.

The only thing I know MS added to WinME that was "borrowed" from Win2000, was the WDM driver model [*.SYS instead of *.VXD]. But Win98 SE also has some WDM support, so it can handle WinME drivers ok without any help from KernelXP. Please see 98SE2ME option 8:

READ1ST.TXT

As far as I know, the purpose of KernelXP is to allow NTx specific apps/games/tools, otherwise impossible to install/run on 98SE, to work under Win98SE [and probably WinME].

Please see KernelXP forum:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=71476

Hope this helps.

Automatic Updates NEVER works under Win98. The ACTUAL Windows Update site does NOT allow automatic updating under ALL 98 systems. Automatic Updates only work under Win2000 SP3/SP4, WinME, XP & 2003.
Actually automatic updates [WU ActiveX detection + file installation] works ok on my Win98 SE computer and on another PC I know of.

To my knowledge any Win98 SE PC that is properly configured can access and benefit from automatic WU.

-yup, AutoUpdate works fine on my friend's ancient Evil Compaq Presario 5461 w/w98se...

-I should have elaborated further: my friend's w98se doesn't have 98se2me on it, so the working AutoUpdate is from win98se, not ME's... and since we're currently not talking ( ;) ), I can't test/verify 98se2me/ME AutoUpdate on it just now... but if I can find the time I'll experiment on my own sys, see what works.

(But I do know it didn't take any special settings/config/tweaks; she's certainly no rocket scientist :no: , just a std. w98se w/IE6)

Is it possible 2 add the configured settings 2 98SE2ME for Auto Updating, if not can u give

me the instructions on how 2 do it.

Please see this post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=497334

That is all I've done so far.

If you wish to add the WinME WU files to 98SE2ME, please open the BAT + INF files from C:\9!M into Notepad and modify/add/remove whatever you want to make WU from WinME work with 98 SE.

Experimenting is good. ;)

Then you must have Inno Setup [see INNOFILE.TXT] to recompile the installer, and for that you need to modify INNOSET.BAT [as described in INNOFILE.TXT to match your own paths for all files listed there] and then run it.

To modify INNOSET.BAT you need to open it in Notepad.

All these files are found after you install 98SE2ME in C:\9!M .

Hope this helps.

Suggestion

Why don't u change the start banner to read

98SE2ME Killer Replacements

I think it would be cool somethin like a signature thing.

Please specify which start banner, eventually post a GIF screenshot.

Are you referring to the Inno Setup BMP [C:\9!M\98LG.BMP] when you 1st run the 98SE2ME.EXE installer?

98LG.BMP can be seen here:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/#1

If this is the screen you are referring to, do you have ideas what to replace it with?

Thanks.